Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sheldon Whitehouse vs. Lincoln Chaffee...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 12, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

was at lunch yesterday with a bunch of retired friends, we were talking about the RI Senate race of Chaffee vs. Whitehouse and the conflicts we felt. Coincidentally all of us tend to be more liberal than conservative..

What it came down to for us was:

Is Lincoln Chaffee that bad? He is about as left as a Republican can get, he voted against Iraq, does not toe the party line and has seniority in the Senate. There is really nothing we did not like about Chaffee, except he is a republican. Of course he is a blue blood, but that seems to be a prerequisite to become a senator.

Is Sheldon Whitehouse that good? We really do not like this guy, most of us at lunch are either probation or corrections retirees, and know his record as an AG. He is a carpetbagger who is a blue blood also, but he does not inspire us.. maybe it is his gummy grin and he really is not saying much that makes us want to vote for him except the same old rhetoric, blah, blah, blah...

We didn't reach any conclusion, but the question came down to do we vote out an incumbent who has seniority in the Senate whose track record we know and mostly agree with? Or do we just vote Democratic, for an unknown we really do not like so we can say the Senate is 51 to 49?

Anyways great lunch, great conversation and left with a quandary, most of us still believe our votes still count and what we do is very important.

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,991 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

If nothing else we need more Lincoln Chaffee's in D.C.

Not to say he is always right...but chaffee and others like him should be applauded for voting on the issues as opposed to which party they belong to. Kind of hard to buck the trend. When you vote against the party you have trouble finding Pork for your state...anyways, I like Chaffee, he doesn't need anyones $$$ ... he has planty of his own so he can always be his own man.

Hey GJ ... what do you think about Carcieri & Fogarty?

I like Carcieri and I am afraid of Fogarty. On the other hand...Carcieri hasn't really gotten this state out of it's mundane ways...he has been an extension of Linc Almond. Both good, high character guys ... but this state needs an economic shot in the arm. some groundbreaking ways to get companies to locate here... I probably will vote Carcieri ... if he wins it's another 4 year stalemate.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Carcieri Vs. Fogarty.. I am ambivalent..

Carcieri is not a friend to state employees, I am a retired one and still have some friends left behind.

Fogarty is a blowhard, talking about cleaning up corruption or term limits, what the F has this guy done.. he is a poster child for term limits and its ill effects. What has he done to clean up corruption?? he has been in office for about 80 years.

I think the choices suck, but will probably go with Fogarty as he is less anti state employee.