Welcome to PatsFans.com

Shefter on the QB market this offseason

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by billdog3484, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

I'm confident we will at least get a 3rd round comp pick. Right now, we do not have the rights to Cassel.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

This is the one thing which could stop us from Franchising Cassel, if there will be a flood of viable QBs. However I think he's overstating the case as some of them are likely to re-sign (Collins, Warner), many of them suck badly (Anderson and those on the bottom half of the list) and I am still not sure that McNabb will be traded.

TB could be the best fit and Belichick can trust his pal Gruden if they come to a pre Franchise Tag agreement on compensation.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Don't bet on it, I have a feeling we'll be spending some FA $$$ ourselves this offseason which could easily negate a comp pick. That's why I'd love to F&T him even if we only get a #3 back.
  5. billdog3484

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

sorry to schefter for spelling his name incorrectly in the title of the thread. i tried to edit the title, but was unable to do so
  6. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Then maybe Cassel can be re-signed as insurance for a more reasonable reserve QB contract, which could attract trade offers later... No big deal either way - McNabb, Warner, and Collins are the only ones on that list with legitimate arguments as to who might be a better option than Cassel, and all three have histories as volatile as the stock market.
  7. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Or it will help us in signing him to a one year deal for a contact well under the Franchise No. and then we go into the off season with a Brady that's getting better by the day and a competent No.2 - If Brady comes back healthy ( which he will 100%) then we trade Cassel before the trade deadline for a few picks in the 2010 draft. That's how I see it going down.

The Lions are going to take UGA's Mathew Stafford with the first pick this year (that's my bet) - So I really don't think Detroit is a viable option for the No. 1 pick that I've heard floated around.
  8. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The good news is not all of them are exactly stellar anymore ;) and I'd still put Matt high up on the list just because he was Brady's protege first of all plus he's really shown some toughness this season. I'd put Matt ahead of half of those QB's just by virtue of how far he's come and how he's dealt with the pressure and the spotlight. He's a class act too.

If someone's had their eye on Matt Cassel they have other reasons besides just his QBing abilities. The big question on him will be the age-old "is he just a system QB or not" type thing, I suppose. I still think we've got a good shot at getting value for him.
  9. billdog3484

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

yah i think this may be the best thing to come out of the flood of QBs in the market...good point
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#15 Jersey

There's actually only four free agent qb's, the rest is just speculation. Collins will probably resign with the Titans and the talk is Warren is retiring. That leaves Garcia and Cassel. Garcia has already bounced around the league and is 38 years old, making him less desirable then Cassell. Most of the other qb's Schefter listed comes with a lot of baggage.
  11. billdog3484

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think Warner stated he was not retiring. He is one of the top 5-10 QBs in the league, if not better. A lot of teams will shell out a lot of cash for him. The point is though, that because of the number of QBs, our leverage will go down. So instead of telling a team, give us your first or second or you cannot have him and them caving in, now they will say...hold on a second, we can either trade you a first for Cassel OR, keep our first round pick and sign a "lesser" quality QB as a bridge. it just takes away a little bit from our position
  12. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly. When you look at Matt's competition it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Rex Grossman and Michael Vick. :D
  13. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

I fixed your post for you. :)
  14. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Bring back Bledsoe
  15. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

BTW--Adam Schefter is top-notch when it comes to breaking news. His crystal ball needs work, though.

For example, he wrote today:

Aside from the :enranged: aspect of that proposition, he apparently forgot that he also wrote this:

[Note, by the way, that there is no attribution to this statement--no quote from Cassel, or even Cassel's agent.]

And, oh yeah, which team is in terrible shape cap-wise next year? The New York JEST.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  16. Mangold74

Mangold74 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who said the Jets are in bad cap situation next year? Are you just guessing this? If Favre doesn't come back then the Jets have an extra $12 million in cap space. They aren't in bad shape regardless.
  17. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I believe the cap for 2009 is $123 million then this site indicates some restructuring or retiring might be needed:

New York Jets Salary Cap
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Maybe the Jets can apply for some bailout money on that Gholston control. Pee Yuu, talk about being upside down :D

Other than the big money guys re-doing their deals, there's only a few players there who can be cut to save money.
  19. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Cassel isn't going to want to sign a 1 year deal. The reason he won't is he will go from being a UFA to an RFA if 2010 remains uncapped.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

The best case, which may not be doable, would be for the Patriots to creatively sign Cassel to the big contract he wants that isn't salary cap crushing the first year, has enough guaranteed money to be fair to Cassel and also not have so much signing bonus that he's untradable.

I'm guessing it's not doable without significant risk to the team in case of injury (for instance, no signing bonus but guarantee the 2nd and 3rd year salaries which would be as good as a signing bonus for Cassel but without the cap acceleration if traded.

It would be perfect as Cassel would get his guarantees, we would have him until we were sure Brady was OK, maybe until 2010 if necessary, but he would still be tradable. Probably a huge longshot with so many factions to satisfy.
  21. Funktopus

Funktopus Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think at least 6 of the QBs on Schefter's list would be considered the incumbent. If these QBs vacate their positions, the QB Demand would increase along with the QB Supply and hopefully have zero effect on Cassel's value.

Many of the other QB's potentially "Flooding" the market won't be competing for a starting role on anything other than a new season of The Bachelor.

I'm still hopeful that the Pats can get some significant value somehow for Cassel.

-F
  22. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Franchise him and trade him to the Raiders straight up for asimuhnga(sp?)
  23. Mangold74

Mangold74 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You don't have to cut someone to save money. Brandon Moore will not be recieving a 5 million dollar roster bonus. That money will probably become part of a signing bonus for a new deal. David Barrett will be cut. Chris Baker is probably shown the door. I see no real cap issue here. Frankly even if the Jets had a ton of cap room I still wouldn't want Matt Cassel. I doubt many of you would be very confident with him being your qb for the next 10 years.
  24. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

When I saw the title of this thread I thought "Shefter can play QB?"
  25. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Best not to make these statements. If Mangini signs him you will break an ankle trying to reverse yourself.

At one time I did not want Moss. I could not see BB signing him. That's not as bad as the maroon who said that Patrick Pass would be signed immediately if the Pats cut him, but still be careful of dissing MFC.
  26. Mangold74

Mangold74 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That would be tough if they signed him. I still think the Jets goal is for Ratliff to take over whenever Favre decides he's had enough again.

Some team is going to get Cassell this offseason or next offseason and he's going to see what it's like to play for a team that doesn't have two all pro WR's, a hall of fame coach and a very good offensive line.
  27. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Out of all the qbs listed Cassel has the best chance at being a potential "franchise qb" for years to come
    i love warner, and i like mcnabb, but really how many yrs do they have left?
    alex smith might be my look-a-like, but he looks nothing like a franchise qb
    maybe vy, probably not leinart
  28. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

The Patriots don't have 2 ALL PRO WRs. As for the offensive line, they were better from week 6-week 12, but week 13, they were bad in their pass blocking. Weeks 1-6, the O-line was horribly inconsistent. Not just from game to game, but from play to play. Its why the running game was horrible to start the season.

Cassel has a lot of good qualities about him and has learned a lot from the various coaches he's had around him. And from Brady as well. To sell him short, like you are doing, would be a fallacy on your part. All one has to do is compare week 2 to Week 12 and you'll see a remarkable difference.

Cassel may not be a franchise QB, but he'll do more holding the spot for the next "franchise" QB of some team than Derek Anderson has done.
  29. KillEM

KillEM Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Calling Derek Anderson a consolation prize if you can't land McNabb is a huge insult to McNabb.
  30. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Give me a minute as I relish in the irony. During the pre-season, it seemed that a Matt Cassell fan was few and far between on this board and an outright release was acceptable if not expected. Now it seems like there are some Pat fans that hate to see him go and/or look at him as a "cash cow" when it comes to getting draft picks.

Shefter is merely stating the obvious and I'm questioning his journalistic abilities outside of being given inside information from NFL headquarters. Guess I just think this is an article I would see on Yahoosports.com rather than NFL.com, but maybe I have too high of expectations.

Digging deeper than the obvious:

The NFC North should be big players in the future of free agent quarterbacks.

Vikings: I guess it is an option that the Vikings can look back at Jackson or continue on with Gus, which has been less than exciting. If they are going to give Booty a chance to play early next season, they would try to get him playing time down the stretch. Considering they are in a playoff race, they won't be doing that and they will likely look to free agency/trade to find the final piece to the Championship puzzle. Who they chose, no one knows.

Bears: I really wonder if the Bears front office thinks Orton is going to be the answer to getting into the playoffs and beyond. Personally, he looks like a solid back-up and can likely manage a game because of his maturity. But would they get rid of Orton and bring back Grossman? If so, what was the whole point of 2008 and having Orton start? If the answer is Orton, I can see 09 being a hot seat year.

Lions: Poor Culpepper loses his job again and heads back into retirement sobbing about how much no one loves him. This is far from a veteran team and so I have a hard time thinking that they should sign a veteran QB. This looks like an ideal situation for Cassell who can play Scott Mitchell in the 80's edition of the same storyline. Drew Stanton is an option, but I am going on that limb to say that he has a year or two before he is completely ready to lead the team. Kitna needs to go as he has Millen spelled all over him.

Eagles: I understand releasing McNabb if it saves you 9 mil, but to look anywhere but to Kevin Kolb as the starter next season will make them look like fools. Might be an ideal situation for a veteran back-up, but would Jeff Garcia seriously want to go back to being a back up in Philly? How about Kerry Collins? Warner?

Jets: Get ready to talk about this all off season: Farve to retire or come back to the Jets for one more season? I think the Jets will learn will quick what the Packers were dealing with and lead to them trading the legend. With Brett on the team and possibly stalling any moves for a QB, the Jets will hesitate long enough to find themselves late to the party.

Cardinals: You have to think that if management told Warner he would compete with Leinart for the starting job next year and they would sign him to a three year contract, Warner would take it considering he beat out Leinart before. And also consider there aren't many other options out there that provide two of the best WRs.

49er: Assuming Mike Singletary is the coach next year, he will have to learn an important lesson: you only last as long as your QB plays well. And if the fans/management get sick of waiting for the QB to play good, you are looking at the end of days. SF fans have dealt with young QBs for too long. I should be looking at a veteran, but who knows. Warner in SF with Bruce and Martz would be interesting and probably the only option that Warner would consider if the money was right. I think the pick needs to be Mike's and not Martz because it is Mike's job to loss and throwing Martz under the bus will only reflect on Mike.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.