PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shefter on the QB market this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the one thing which could stop us from Franchising Cassel, if there will be a flood of viable QBs. However I think he's overstating the case as some of them are likely to re-sign (Collins, Warner), many of them suck badly (Anderson and those on the bottom half of the list) and I am still not sure that McNabb will be traded.

TB could be the best fit and Belichick can trust his pal Gruden if they come to a pre Franchise Tag agreement on compensation.

I'm confident we will at least get a 3rd round comp pick.
Don't bet on it, I have a feeling we'll be spending some FA $$$ ourselves this offseason which could easily negate a comp pick. That's why I'd love to F&T him even if we only get a #3 back.

sorry to schefter for spelling his name incorrectly in the title of the thread. i tried to edit the title, but was unable to do so

Then maybe Cassel can be re-signed as insurance for a more reasonable reserve QB contract, which could attract trade offers later... No big deal either way - McNabb, Warner, and Collins are the only ones on that list with legitimate arguments as to who might be a better option than Cassel, and all three have histories as volatile as the stock market.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive QBs could flood market in offseason

Basically, hes saying the market for QBs will be flooded. Not good, it will take away a lot of our leverage in any potential trade attempt and lessen the compensation we would receive.

Or it will help us in signing him to a one year deal for a contact well under the Franchise No. and then we go into the off season with a Brady that's getting better by the day and a competent No.2 - If Brady comes back healthy ( which he will 100%) then we trade Cassel before the trade deadline for a few picks in the 2010 draft. That's how I see it going down.

The Lions are going to take UGA's Mathew Stafford with the first pick this year (that's my bet) - So I really don't think Detroit is a viable option for the No. 1 pick that I've heard floated around.

The good news is not all of them are exactly stellar anymore ;) and I'd still put Matt high up on the list just because he was Brady's protege first of all plus he's really shown some toughness this season. I'd put Matt ahead of half of those QB's just by virtue of how far he's come and how he's dealt with the pressure and the spotlight. He's a class act too.

If someone's had their eye on Matt Cassel they have other reasons besides just his QBing abilities. The big question on him will be the age-old "is he just a system QB or not" type thing, I suppose. I still think we've got a good shot at getting value for him.

Then maybe Cassel can be re-signed as insurance for a more reasonable reserve QB contract, which could attract trade offers later... No big deal either way - McNabb, Warner, and Collins are the only ones on that list with legitimate arguments as to who might be a better option than Cassel, and all three have histories as volatile as the stock market.

yah i think this may be the best thing to come out of the flood of QBs in the market...good point

There's actually only four free agent qb's, the rest is just speculation. Collins will probably resign with the Titans and the talk is Warren is retiring. That leaves Garcia and Cassel. Garcia has already bounced around the league and is 38 years old, making him less desirable then Cassell. Most of the other qb's Schefter listed comes with a lot of baggage.

There's actually only four free agent qb's, the rest is just speculation. Collins will probably resign with the Titans and the talk is Warren is retiring. That leaves Garcia and Cassel. Garcia has already bounced around the league and is 38 years old, making him less desirable then Cassell. Most of the other qb's Schefter listed comes with a lot of baggage.

I think Warner stated he was not retiring. He is one of the top 5-10 QBs in the league, if not better. A lot of teams will shell out a lot of cash for him. The point is though, that because of the number of QBs, our leverage will go down. So instead of telling a team, give us your first or second or you cannot have him and them caving in, now they will say...hold on a second, we can either trade you a first for Cassel OR, keep our first round pick and sign a "lesser" quality QB as a bridge. it just takes away a little bit from our position

Exactly. When you look at Matt's competition it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Rex Grossman and Michael Vick. :D

There's actually only four free agent qb's, the rest is just speculation. Collins will probably resign with the Titans and the talk is Warren is retiring. That leaves Garcia and Cassel. Garcia has already bounced around the league and is 38 years old, making him less desirable then Cassell. Most of the other qb's Schefter listed comes with a lot of sucking.

I fixed your post for you. :)

BTW--Adam Schefter is top-notch when it comes to breaking news. His crystal ball needs work, though.

For example, he wrote today:

Matt Cassel — New England could franchise Cassel, but then he would be making $14 million –- as much as Tom Brady is scheduled to earn the next two seasons. Maybe Cassel can become Brett Favre’s successor with the Jets.

Aside from the :enranged: aspect of that proposition, he apparently forgot that he also wrote this:

When quarterback Matt Cassel hits the free-agent market this winter, it is not hard to guess what his asking price will be.

It will be similar to the six-year, $65 million contract that Green Bay recently awarded its quarterback, Aaron Rodgers.

[Note, by the way, that there is no attribution to this statement--no quote from Cassel, or even Cassel's agent.]

And, oh yeah, which team is in terrible shape cap-wise next year? The New York JEST.

Last edited:
BTW--Adam Schefter is top-notch when it comes to breaking news. His crystal ball needs work, though.

For example, he wrote today:

Aside from the :enranged: aspect of that proposition, he apparently forgot that he also wrote this:

[Note, by the way, that there is no attribution to this statement--no quote from Cassel, or even Cassel's agent.]

And, oh yeah, which team is in terrible shape cap-wise next year? The New York JEST.

Who said the Jets are in bad cap situation next year? Are you just guessing this? If Favre doesn't come back then the Jets have an extra $12 million in cap space. They aren't in bad shape regardless.

Who said the Jets are in bad cap situation next year? Are you just guessing this? If Favre doesn't come back then the Jets have an extra $12 million in cap space. They aren't in bad shape regardless.

I believe the cap for 2009 is $123 million then this site indicates some restructuring or retiring might be needed:

New York Jets Salary Cap

I believe the cap for 2009 is $123 million then this site indicates some restructuring or retiring might be needed:

New York Jets Salary Cap
Maybe the Jets can apply for some bailout money on that Gholston control. Pee Yuu, talk about being upside down :D

Other than the big money guys re-doing their deals, there's only a few players there who can be cut to save money.

Or it will help us in signing him to a one year deal for a contact well under the Franchise No. and then we go into the off season with a Brady that's getting better by the day and a competent No.2 - If Brady comes back healthy ( which he will 100%) then we trade Cassel before the trade deadline for a few picks in the 2010 draft. That's how I see it going down.

The Lions are going to take UGA's Mathew Stafford with the first pick this year (that's my bet) - So I really don't think Detroit is a viable option for the No. 1 pick that I've heard floated around.

Cassel isn't going to want to sign a 1 year deal. The reason he won't is he will go from being a UFA to an RFA if 2010 remains uncapped.

Cassel isn't going to want to sign a 1 year deal. The reason he won't is he will go from being a UFA to an RFA if 2010 remains uncapped.
The best case, which may not be doable, would be for the Patriots to creatively sign Cassel to the big contract he wants that isn't salary cap crushing the first year, has enough guaranteed money to be fair to Cassel and also not have so much signing bonus that he's untradable.

I'm guessing it's not doable without significant risk to the team in case of injury (for instance, no signing bonus but guarantee the 2nd and 3rd year salaries which would be as good as a signing bonus for Cassel but without the cap acceleration if traded.

It would be perfect as Cassel would get his guarantees, we would have him until we were sure Brady was OK, maybe until 2010 if necessary, but he would still be tradable. Probably a huge longshot with so many factions to satisfy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes