Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sheehan to protest at U.S. posts in Germany in March

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by bmf31c, Feb 23, 2006.

1. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

RAMSTEIN, Germany — Cindy Sheehan, mother of a soldier killed in Iraq and the woman who protested the war last summer outside President Bush’s Texas ranch, is scheduled to bring her anti-war message to U.S. military installations in Germany next month.

“[We’ve already heard] that Cindy Sheehan is like Hanoi Jane [Fonda] coming here,†said Elsa Rassbach, an event organizer with American Voices Abroad, which is supporting Sheehan’s trip.

But, she said, “We’re here to just democratically talk about U.S. policy.â€

http://stripes.com/article.asp?article=35252&section=104

She may have picked the wrong place, there is 50,000 of us in the area. I think she is going to run into a huge roadblock by trying to protest here.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

Sheehan will take the beating as long as she can get her face in the paper, she is a sick women. As far as being like Jane "Hanoi" Fonda Sheehan will never make it, Fonda was the biggest Traitor this country had seen in a long, long time. Fonda will make the history books with the word "Traitor" right beside her name (Kerry's pal).

3. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Yeah. Even I'm sick of her now. I'm OK with her harassing Wrong for answers, but I think speaking engagements at military installations, especially abroad, is over the line.

4. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with you completely. I can justify to myself protesting the President et al in Washington, at their ranches, etc. Coming here is a huge force protection crisis. She is calling attention to areas that are all ready huge targets. I understand she is a grieving mother, and that she feels strongly for a cause. This is a mistake, and I hope it doesn't cost us a life to show how big a mistake it is.

5. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just for reference I work in Landstuhl, just outside of the hospital Kaserne and my wife works on Ramstein Air Base. So this is a catastrophe waiting to happen just outside my front door.

6. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Be careful man, she'll turn you to stone if she looks you in the eye.

7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I believe that's the hospital my father-in-law worked at in the early 80s.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think her son would want her doing this. (As a troop, I doubt he would feel supported by it.)

9. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That be-yotch better keep in mind that the US constitution wont protect her ass in Germany. If she even tries to bring up her 1st amendment rights...they are just going to laugh at her.

10. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Germany's got decent free speech protections (as long as she doesn't try denying the holocaust). She'll be fine from a legal perspective, but I think she needs to rethink her tactics and not just do something because she can (ironically, like our president). If she wants to talk about US policy as it relates to Germany, she should protest at civillian government buildings. The cause she's fighting for is right, but somehow I'm not sure I want her on my side.

11. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Correct me if I am wrong--but I thought civillians were not allowed to hang around outside military bases--especially in foreign countries.

12. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The place they went to protest is a half mile off base. They have to get permission to protest though. The may be in for a surprise though as Ramstein is a NATO base and as such is guarded by the Bundeswehr. They have a different rules of engagement than we do. Meaning we have to go through a series of events to use deadly force....the Bundeswehr asks but once then shoots.
    Just a note, the place she wants to protest is the area where there is a memorial for the people killed during the air show here when the C-5 Galaxy crashed.

13. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think we can all basically agree that Sheehan at this point is simply doing whatever she can to prolong her already expired 15 minutes and has become more of a liability to the Dems/Anti-Bush/Anti-War crowd.

14. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, she's running for office, so she's a politican now.

15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Never underestimate the power of a woman scorned. Trust me, I'm married.

16. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On this, we agree.

17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Totally agree.

18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

It will be interesting to see what Sheehan says. Part of her message should resonate with soldiers. If she comes off as anti-American, I think her protest will backfire, but if she talks about her own loss and the feelings that the price she and her son paid was too high for this particular war, I would think people would have a hard time being disrespectful to her. Let's face it, although soldiers seem to be more sympathetic to the war than the general public, it's clear from comments in this forum and elsewhere, it's not a black and white issue for anyone.

19. pats-blue

pats-blue Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Most of her message to me has seemed anti-American and I'm not talking about the stuff that gets out of control on this board. She has more time than not said outlandish things to try and get attention for herself and her books. It has ceased long ago being about her loss.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

I haven't read about anything she has said in awhile, but I do agree there was a period where she seemed like a rank amateur on the progressive circuit. I hope she has learned more. She's no longer just the mother of a soldier who gave his life, she's a representative of the progressive movement and is thus held to a much higher standard by everyone.