PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shea McClellin after four weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Mcclellin has been a disappointment and a no-show so far through 4 games...I wish we used his salary cap money to sign Matt Forte instead

Last edited:
Mcclellin has been a disappointment and a no-show so far through 4 games...I wish we used his money to sign Matt Forte instead

If they could sign Forte for that money they probably would. 3.5M against 9M guaranteed.

It is sort of ironic that the two LBs with new contracts look farthest from the field at the moment.

But let's give McClellin a chance to get fully healthy and shows what he can do here before dismissals. He was solid when he was called on the field without being 100%. Of course with the emergence of Roberts and LB usage of Ninkovich the job is not waiting for him ..

If they could sign Forte for that money they probably would. 3.5M against 9M guaranteed.

It is sort of ironic that the two LBs with new contracts look farthest from the field at the moment.

But let's give McClellin a chance to get fully healthy and shows what he can do here before dismissals. He was solid when he was called on the field without being 100%. Of course with the emergence of Roberts and LB usage of Ninkovich the job is not waiting for him ..

I feel we have pretty adequate depth at LB. What we lack at the moment, is depth at running back position.

If Blount goes down (as he has in the past) then that can really be a game-changer in December or in the playoffs.

In hindsight it's looking like a bad deal, but I'm still hesitant to write him off entirely. I will say that I like Roberts a lot more than him so far, although apart from both nominally being LBs their abilities and ideal roles appear to be very different.

At this point I wonder if Forte's the one regretting his decisions this offseason, although he made quite a bit of money so probably not. The Jets have made it abundantly clear that they aren't going anywhere and have no idea how to use him for good measure. Seems crazy to spend the money they did on Forte--a guy whose value is driven up by his versatility--if they were just looking for a guy to pound between the tackles and rarely involve in the passing game, but that's what makes them the Jets I guess. We're very lucky that they didn't just commit a little more money to RB and beat the Titans' offer for DeMarco Murray.

In hindsight it's looking like a bad deal, but I'm still hesitant to write him off entirely. I will say that I like Roberts a lot more than him so far, although apart from both nominally being LBs their abilities and ideal roles appear to be very different.
I agree. I think I responded something similar to you yesterday in the game thread. To say I have been unimpressed with McClellin would be an understatement. He has done zero but get injured twice. If he's good enough just to spell some guys, then fine. But the contract he received is worth a bit more than giving guys the occasional breather.

Roberts was a revelation yesterday . . . at least to me. He was all over the place. If there wasn't a big #52 on his jersey, I would have thought I was watching High out there. Can he repeat this? We'll have to wait and see. But if he can, we may see something close to what we thought High-Mayo-Collins was going to be.

I agree. I think I responded something similar to you yesterday in the game thread. To say I have been unimpressed with McClellin would be an understatement. He has done zero but get injured twice. If he's good enough just to spell some guys, then fine. But the contract he received is worth a bit more than giving guys the occasional breather.

Roberts was a revelation yesterday . . . at least to me. He was all over the place. If there wasn't a big #52 on his jersey, I would have thought I was watching High out there. Can he repeat this? We'll have to wait and see. But if he can, we may see something close to what we thought High-Mayo-Collins was going to be.

I think the question with Roberts going forward is going to mostly relate to his size. In terms of size, he's closer to Chung than Hightower, and while that wasn't exposed yesterday, there's still a good chance that it will be going forward if/when teams feel the need to start gameplanning for him specifically. Not to diminish him prematurely, just something to watch out for. Maybe it ends up being a non-issue (he's the same weight as Luke Kuechly, although 4 inches shorter), or maybe it limits his long-term role in the defense. Maybe it means he's limited to something resembling Rodney Harrison's old late-career big nickel role. Even that would be great production out of a 6th rounder.

I think the question with Roberts going forward is going to mostly relate to his size. In terms of size, he's closer to Chung than Hightower, and while that wasn't exposed yesterday, there's still a good chance that it will be going forward if/when teams feel the need to start gameplanning for him specifically. Not to diminish him prematurely, just something to watch out for. Even if his ceiling ends up being that he's too small to be an every-down LB but can excel in Rodney Harrison's old big nickel role, that's still a lot of potential production for a 6th round rookie. Getting that kind of production from last-day picks is what keeps teams like the Pats on top.
That's very fair and a good insight. I don't know how well he covers in the passing game, but maybe they envision a role similar to what Tank Williams would have played. I think it also gives them a chance to keep some of the wear-and-tear down on someone like Chung, considering they were using him a lot in the box last season and he seemed to sort of wear down a bit down the stretch (though he still played well).

Last edited:
I feel we have pretty adequate depth at LB. What we lack at the moment, is depth at running back position

Such a hindsight opinion

McClellin was signed in March. There was not adequate depth. It was Hightower, Collins and Freeney.

He hasn't "flashed" as they like to say. Part of me thinks they signed him jut in case Long or Flowers didn't show up, but because they did that left him on the outside looking in.

The thread we had when McClellin was signed still holds up.

The thread we had when McClellin was signed still holds up.

lol, funny you say that. I didn't intend for this to be it's own thread. Looks like the mods just decided to create another

Really though, I just wish we found someone to share snaps with Blount. If it came down to signing Mcclellin or Forte, I would've signed Forte in a heart beat (in fact, I said this very thing back in March).

No disrespect to Bill, that's just my opinion

Last edited:
....and here we are folks playing our favorite game of Patriot scapegoating. So after a grand total of 5 games, 3 of which McClellan actually dressed for, we have judged this man inept and are ready to consign him to the scrap heap. How typical of us.

I shouldn't be surprised given that we've done the same thing to others, from Edelman and Amendola, to Matt Light and Patrick Chung. We are always seem to be in love with whatever the new flavor of the week him, and there is no question we will discard him the MOMENT he disappoints us in any way.

No question that Roberts flashed, but there is also no question that we haven't seen enough of Shay McClellan assess how good or not this signing is. If we are making similar accusations, is the Mingo trade a bust because he hasn't gotten any regular defensive snaps thus far?

McClellan missed a lot of TC, IIRC. He is also playing the position where he happen to have a lot of depth right now (DE/LB) Defensive snaps for LB's are at a premium to begin with, given we play so much nickel and dime coverages

I'm just happy with anyone who isn't Freeney playing LB (see I am no above a little scapegoating myself ;) ...but it still doesn't make it right. )

I shouldn't be surprised given that we've done the same thing to others, from Edelman and Amendola, to Matt Light and Patrick Chung.

Besides Light (I wasn't here in 2001), where were "we" wrong about that group?

I think you have to understand what BB expects from a guy like McLellan, there is not a lot of body of work to examine, but BB wants guys like this to keep the "edge".. and this is a more important function than rushing the passer.

What he does not does not do will not show up in the box score..

Glad we signed his teammate though, Martellus Bennett...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes