PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shazier vs. Mosley

Fair enough, we just disagree on needs. IMO a hybrid like Shazier is a major missing piece for a lot of matchups and formations, and would help shore up the shaky depth at both LB and S. That's very high on my wish list.

The other not-insignificant issue is that unless a guy like Hageman falls, I see Shazier as a much better talent than any DE/DT/S/TE likely to be available at #29. To me, players like Crichton, Bucannon, Amaro and Ford just aren't legitimate 1st-round talents. (Fire away, all! :D)

absolutely agree on the bolded point. absolutely.
and good point we do disagree on needs. I would like a LB-S hybrid but if a good DT/DE is there at 29 I just would like to see that bcz we don't know how VW and Kelly will look after injury and those Rooks, who did a valiant job this year, don't really cut it for me..

I know people here are giving plenty of reasons to jump on the Shazier bandwagon, but I just can't do it. There are a few reasons, but I think the biggest one is relative value. Namely, if Shazier is a prospective "super sub" for the Pats and could play something like 70% of their defensive snaps without starting a game, then he's a starter and 100% snap guy for some other 4-3 defenses in the Lavonte David role, as well as possibly some 3-4 teams like the Steelers, who had a 218 pound starting ILB a few years ago. I know the draft is unpredictable and the value doesn't always fall where it should (perhaps he'll be each team's #2 available player for every pick 20-28), but I just can't get on board with the idea of outbidding these other teams that should get ~50% more value out of him.

When do we get your mock Sciz? Or a list of players you like. Always look forward to seeing who you have your eye on.

When do we get your mock Sciz? Or a list of players you like. Always look forward to seeing who you have your eye on.
I entered the working world 11 months ago, and I haven't been able to do nearly as much draft preparation as I would like. I have plenty of ideas of positions/roles I'd like to see filed, but my opinions of individual players are mostly based on what I've read about them as opposed to my own original thoughts. On the bright side, I've got just as much chance of correctly predicting a Pats' pick as ever, right? I'm just going to have a lot less to say outside of that.

I entered the working world 11 months ago, and I haven't been able to do nearly as much draft preparation as I would like. I have plenty of ideas of positions/roles I'd like to see filed, but my opinions of individual players are mostly based on what I've read about them as opposed to my own original thoughts. On the bright side, I've got just as much chance of correctly predicting a Pats' pick as ever, right? I'm just going to have a lot less to say outside of that.

Just copy Patchicks board, we all know thats 50% atleast :mad:

Just copy Patchicks board, we all know thats 50% atleast :mad:

Ah, if only! IMO Patriots' drafts have only gotten more unpredictable over time. It used to be that you could at least identify prototypical defenders for a 2-gap 3-4 with super-agile DBs. Now, though, almost anything goes. Even fans who want a DT in round 1 can't agree whether they want a small but fast penetrator like Easley (6'2" 288), an immovable-object NT like Nix (6'2" 331), or a long 5-tech like Tuitt (6'6" 304).

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back