PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shawne Merriman said he is putting the lights out to the lights out dance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hobbs should do the lights out dance after he pics rivers(like he did after the playoff win).

I think Hobbs should do the lights out dance after he pics rivers(like he did after the playoff win).

Yeah, well, Hobbs is "the sorriest corner in the league" (Rivers quote.)

I'm wondering (although doubt it) if he put an end to the steroids dance!

Good for him.

Ridiculous that the dance was there in the first place. Glad he's fixed the nonsense.

Re: Shawn Merrimen said he is putting the lights out to the lights out dance

Has anyone else noticed that Merriman has an abnormally pointed head?

He's no Charles Haley...

I'll believe it when I see it (or don't see it) all...season...long.

I've never had any problem with sack dances or end zone celebrations, as long they're not suggestive or obscene. I thought Merriman's dance was a nice addition to the genre, and I'm disappointed he's pulling the plug. Uniformity is all around us in the real world. IMO individualistic displays of on-field joy are part of the fun of football.

Well for one, I am disappointed. One LESS thing to hate SD for. ;) Really, its kind of impressive, and as an old school guy I'm glad.

Ditto....:singing:

Well for one, I am disappointed. One LESS thing to hate SD for. ;) Really, its kind of impressive, and as an old school guy I'm glad.

Shows he might have learned a lesson...

In a year from now if that dance actually has ended and no steroids are found in his system you might be able to say he is the best Linebacker in football..Maybe the best since Ray Lewis was drafted,Definately has the potential to be that and more.

Just heard on an interview with Shawne Merriman on Sirius NFL Radio that the Light's out dance he is noted for doing after a sack or big play in the past 2 years has come to an end.

He said the team wants to be focused on 1 thing this year and that is a championship, Shawn states he does not want to be singled out for anything and that the team is going to get serious in their quest for the title, nothing like the dance is to stand in the way of what is done on the field he claims.

Since he vows there will be no more Light's out sack dance anymore, I guess we will see if he is a man of his word. If he is and he has quit steroids he might become respectable in time.

I do think there is a decent possibility of him breaking the all-time single season sack record this year.

FWIW-Chargers fans are going to be in for a BIG surprise with Norv Turner.

Turner's teams get off to fast starts, then as the season progresses, they fade b/c he'll get out-coached time after time again. Look for him to lose AFC West home games in Dec, with his only V coming against woeful-Oakland.

BTW-Merriman is going to walk ALL over this guy.

I can't believe how everyone is getting so soft on Merriman. Where's the vitriol that I've come to love and expect from patsfans??? This guy is a cheating, showboating, boastful thug. So he's a good, LB; who cares? He's still a big time schmuck in my book. If anything, I hate him more now.

And yes, I've been drinking.

I'm kind of impressed too... especially since it doesn't seem to be a case of "coach said," but the players maturing on their own.

I think people here are right, SD learned from last season, and realized that they lost a game they could have won, and with a margin that close, they went out and fed their opponent fuel for the fire at every turn.

They still look at us like their daddy... and still trying to knock off the old man. They have no problem if the old man teaches them a lesson they can turn back around and use against him some day.

We're all gonna be so pissed if we end up really fighting the Broncos or Ravens this year, with all the Colts/Bolts talk.

PFnV

IMO individualistic displays of on-field joy are part of the fun of football.

Except that sack dances such as those of Merrimoid and Ray the murderer (allegedly) Lewis have nothing at all to do with joy. Rather, they have everything to do with disrespect, intimidation and selfishness.

Group displays of on-field joy, OTOH, can be fun, in a somewhat sophomoric fashion. The league office should have penalized individual displays, and allowed group displays - to a point.

I can't believe how everyone is getting so soft on Merriman. Where's the vitriol that I've come to love and expect from patsfans??? This guy is a cheating, showboating, boastful thug. So he's a good, LB; who cares? He's still a big time schmuck in my book. If anything, I hate him more now.

And yes, I've been drinking.

That's why I'm withholding judgement until season's end.

What does one drink in Hong Kong, anyway?

Except that sack dances such as those of Merrimoid and Ray the murderer (allegedly) Lewis have nothing at all to do with joy. Rather, they have everything to do with disrespect, intimidation and selfishness.

Group displays of on-field joy, OTOH, can be fun, in a somewhat sophomoric fashion. The league office should have penalized individual displays, and allowed group displays - to a point.

Why? I enjoy watching sack dances or touchdown dances. It's just a game, people, and the "disrespect" factor matters in high school... but when these guys are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for each game they play, who really cares? I'm bored by the guys who just hand the balls over to the refs, I want the guys who pretend to moon the fans or do the dirty bird in the end zone.

I don't watch professional wrestling, but that kind of fun is the reason why it's managed to survive despite being, ultimately, fake. Why must the NFL take itself far more seriously than what it actually is... just a game played for the entertainment of the fans?

I liked Merriman's dance. And then I liked the Patriots winning and copying it to insult him. It's all part of the fun. And so a couple guys get upset in the process, like crybaby LT. Big deal. It doesn't really bother me when people are disrespecting the Patriots either. Some people have overwhelming attachments to these football players, but the fact is that as much as I love Tom Brady, if I die tomorrow he isn't going to the funeral.

Last edited:

Hate what you want about him, I think he will have a Hall of Fame career if he stays in San Diego where I think he is made for that defense. I simply cannot believe San Diego was lucky enough to get Merriman and Castillo in back to back picks.

I do not like him either but to be off on suspension for those several weeks and still have like 15 sacks on the season is downright frightening to opposing offensive lineman.No he will not get sacks every game but he is a dangerous weapon of the other side once that ball is snapped.

Yeah but he still used steroids. So your saying if Barry Bonds tested positive, served his 50 games, then came back and kept the record you wouldnt be mad? He had 17 sacks, but the thing is most of them where against poor offensive lines. 3 against St louis, 3 against the Raiders, a few against the Cardinals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back