PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shawn Crable a starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shawn Crable a starter ?

Highly doubt that Crable starts at any point this year (barring a string of injuries), but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a great situational guy and uses that to become a starter next year.

He may start, hard to say. Not sure how he "bulks up" his lower body...some people just have narrow builds, not much you can do with it.

One question is that with Crable, Redd, Craig, TBC....where does a new OLB go? How is he going to be better than those guys? In terms of measureables, etc., experience. Crable was a monster in college. Redd is 6'6 athletic as hell....just saying.

He may start, hard to say. Not sure how he "bulks up" his lower body...some people just have narrow builds, not much you can do with it.

One question is that with Crable, Redd, Craig, TBC....where does a new OLB go? How is he going to be better than those guys? In terms of measureables, etc., experience. Crable was a monster in college. Redd is 6'6 athletic as hell....just saying.
Unless Crable turns up with a speed rush, drafting an OLB who has speed to burn adds to the strength of the group...none of the current OLB corps is particularly noted for coverage skills either. I'd say there's a decent chance to find an upgrade to the unit in this draft.

I missed your point. I don't see an early draftee at linebacker having any trouble making the team.

We will likely keep five OLB's on the roster. We have Thomas, Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain as four likely, with Banta-Cain hopefully getting most of his reps on special teams. Why should an OLB Belichick chooses in the first or second round have any trouble being better than Craig and Redd by the middle of camp or certainly by the time the season starts?

BTW, the same situation exists at ILB. We will likely keep four. Mayo, Bruschi and Guyton seem likely as three. Why should any ILB Belichick chooses in the first four rounds have any trouble in being better than Alexander and Ruud by the middle of camp or certainly by the time the season starts?

I missed your point. I don't see an early draftee at linebacker having any trouble making the team.

We will likely keep five OLB's on the roster. We have Thomas, Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain as four likely, with Banta-Cain hopefully getting most of his reps on special teams. Why should an OLB Belichick chooses in the first or second round have any trouble being better than Craig and Redd by the middle of camp or certainly by the time the season starts?

BTW, the same situation exists at ILB. We will likely keep four. Mayo, Bruschi and Guyton seem likely as three. Why should any ILB Belichick chooses in the first four rounds have any trouble in being better than Alexander and Ruud by the middle of camp or certainly by the time the season starts?

Well an ILB would hopefully outplay Bruschi who will probably retire anyway.

In general yeah, that's my point. People get so excited about drafting say English in the 1st round. Why? What does he bring that they don't have already? And 1st round? Guys in the 1st should be assumed to be sure contributors if not starters. I don't see English doing anything they don't have already.

You can bulk up the lower body the same way you bulk up the upper body. Through weight training and conditioning. Squats, leg presses, etc. can bulk up a player's thighs and calves the same way bench presses, curls, etc. builds up biceps and chests.

If Crable has a narrow build that cannot be improved through strength and conditioning, I think his tenure in the NFL may be short. Luckily for him, many college athletes bulk up significantly their first few years in the NFL. Even Tom Brady bulked up quite a bit in his first few years in the NFL.

As far as I'm concerned, Crable is on the same level as Chad Jackson was going into his second season. Maybe even less.

Third string? So you you have A. Thomas and Pierre Woods as starting OLB?
The backups are Tully Banta Cain and Redd? Or a draft pick? Maybe. I feel as though Crable can beat out either Banta Cain or Redd and be a Second stringer not third.

Based on what evidence? TBC has played key roles for us before. Crable has not. What in the world would make you think he could outplay TBC or Redd?

Based on what evidence? TBC has played key roles for us before. Crable has not. What in the world would make you think he could outplay TBC or Redd?

To be fair, Crable was very good at Michigan. Going on what he did at Michigan, you could perhaps make a claim that, with a year to bulk up and learn the system under his belt, he could be ready to play a role. The guy is also a very good athlete, so, taken all together, I don't think it's totally unfair to think that it's *plausible* that he might play a significant role.

I do agree with your point in regards to TBC, though, who I think is generally underrated on this board. You don't want to rely on him too much for the defense, but he's a very effective rotation player. In general, it seems like a lot of people here have no real appreciation for the value that a solid rotational role player can bring, especially when someone like Belichick is calling the shots.

Let's see how Crable looks in camp before preparing his bust for Canton. He's obviously got some athletic skills and size/length that the Pats are looking for in an OLB, but he's short on experience and is unproven. Right now Guyton and Woods are slotted ahead of Crable on the depth chart.

I suspct we will see a rotation at the OLB spot opposite of Thomas and that rotation will be dictated by factors such as down and distance. We may not see a stable guy.

Though, if Taylor or Peppers comes on board, that could all change.

Let's see how Crable looks in camp before preparing his bust for Canton. He's obviously got some athletic skills and size/length that the Pats are looking for in an OLB, but he's short on experience and is unproven. Right now Guyton and Woods are slotted ahead of Crable on the depth chart.

Who's preparing his bust in Canton?

One of the reasons that Belichick preferred trading for his OLBs was because he recognized making an OLB for the system took 2+ years efore theplayer was ready to contribute much. It took Tedy that long. It took TBC 2 years for spot duty; it took Woods three seasons. Crabel is only going into his second season of seasoning. Plus he neede soem beefing up, everyone agreed. I look forward to see what has been accomplished there soon.

If we take a Barwin, you can expect that the same would apply. You wouldn't see him as a regular until Year late two or three either.

ILBs can contribute sooner as the needs for a Belichick 3-4 ILB, are not that far removed from college experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back