PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shawn Crable a starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan-1982

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
i think if shawn crable stays healthy he will be are starting OLB and are leading sacker let me know what you guys think of him

Re: Shawn Crable a starter ?

i think he will be a third stringer until he proves otherwise what do you guys think?

i think you're crazy. :D

I expect good things from him, and i think he will eventually be a major part of the D, but not the starter this year.

In terms of talent, Crable has more talent than Woods and TBC. Crable had a pretty good preseason putting pressure on the QB and intercepting a pass in coverage. I expect him to get lots of playing time this season. Woods is going to get used to the sidelines once Crable gets the system under his belt.

I think right now hes ellsbury and I hope he becomes Pedroia

No way, Crable will start from Game 1 and be our sack leader. he's just not ready for that role in this defense. I feel like BB is going to start Woods at OLB. I do think Crable might earn a greater role during the season.

Right now the job is Woods to lose, given his recent experience in the defense. Crable and TBC will compete, and both have a pretty decent chance of winning the job.

A rookie is unlikely to start unless it is someone who already has experience as a linebacker like Cushing or Sintim.

Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers (remember him) would change everything, of course.

I think anybody not working for the team that thinks they have a bead on Crable's ability to step in now, is thinking too much.

Not to turn this into a draft thread, but with Crable, Woods, TBC and possibly Jason Taylor are the Pats needs at OLB as strong as some are predicting in regards to them possibly drafting an OLB on the 1st day. Can a Barwin, Sintim or Mathews be much of an upgrade over Crable, Woods or TBC?

Connor Barwin will start, be the next DeMarcus Ware, sack the QB 5 times a game and be a force of biblical proportions

Its true. I read it in the draft forum:p

*Woods will start with JT and Crable/TBC will be backup*

Connor Barwin will start, be the next DeMarcus Ware, sack the QB 5 times a game and be a force of biblical proportions

Barwin? Of whom do you speak?

i think if shawn crable stays healthy he will be are starting OLB and are leading sacker let me know what you guys think of him
Crable showed some flashes of great promise in the pre-season games. Then, inexplicably, he barely played, and was even inactive for some games, until he got injured and was put on IR. Honestly, I don't know...

Crable showed some flashes of great promise in the pre-season games. Then, inexplicably, he barely played, and was even inactive for some games, until he got injured and was put on IR. Honestly, I don't know...

I think Crable was a victim of just not enough space on the 45 game day roster. Up until he got hurt, their was enough depth where he probably would not have seen enough playing time and BB could not afford to put him on the practive squad becasue he almost certainly would have been picked up by another team.

Given that he couldn't even get onto the sidelines last year (was not on the active roster) last year, let alone get on the field, and that BB put him on IR with a phantom shin injury, what do you know about him since then?

I liked the guy, but he is basically a rookie of which we know absolutely nothing, so putting him ahead of establsihed players is nuts. I know people here don't like Woods, but BB plays him a lot, so BB likes him, and whose opinion counts when it comes to starting and/or playing someone, ours or BB's?

Same with Maroney. Everyone talks about cutting him, while BB onlyh says good things about him. THere is a disconnect in Patriot Fannation. You can tell when BB doesn't like a guy. Look at the few things he said about Chad Jackson. Nothing complimentary. Neutral and never defended the guy. Not so with Maroney. We all judge Maroney based on what a first round pick should do. With BB, where a player was selected means nothing. It is production that counts. We seem to prefer 3.5 ypc if it comes from a UDFA over 4.3 ypc if it came from a first round pick.

i think he will be a third stringer until he proves otherwise what do you guys think?

I agree.
I watched The Crab a lot in summer camp as one of my favs. He has talent & promise but was raw and sorely needed to bulk up his Chris Canty stick legs. Clearly, he starts out 3rd string. From there he could rise or he could play himself off the 53 back onto the PS for a 2nd year. It's up to him and the talent he's competing against.

Here's a clue. That's precisely what pre-season camp is all about.

Last edited:

And sell beer and t-shirts while the pats are on offense. :D

I think if he stays healthy he will see a lot of playing time, increasingly so as the season goes on.

Last edited:

I do not get how can some assume he will be the 3rd stringer. Every 3 rd stringer is asked play special teams which he does not.

The hate for woods is too much.He is the only all round OLB we have in our team after thomas and even his rookie year he broke through on special teams which crable never could before being IR`rd .

Sadly we do not use pass rush only OLB in BB system they are expected to play a little coverage and little DE so no rookie is going to do this unless we are hit with a big list of injures.

I see thomas/woods/TBC in their and people forget that in 3rd down we played guyton on the TE side as a coverage OLB with bru and mayo in.

Sounds pretty accurate to me. :D

Seriously, I think that after Adalius Thomas Crable is the most talented OLB currently on our roster. I don't see him starting ahead of Woods day 1 based on experience, but I will be disappointed if he doesn't get significant reps and work himself into the starting lineup by the end of the year. BB always looks for players to take the biggest leap between years 1 and 2. If Crable is going to fulfill his promise I expect him to come into training camp bigger and stronger than last year, and that BB will give him every opportunity to play himself in a bigger role.

Since he has never played any meaningful minutes as an active player in a regular season game, how is anyone supposed to know?

He's a second year player but he might as well be considered a rookie for all we know about how he will contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots