PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaun Ellis agrees to terms with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not expecting a lot out of him and am actually dissapointed to have to grab a player from the Jester's scrap heap to get the help BB thinks we need.

Really kind of a "meh" to me.

We didn't grab a player the Jets didn't want. The Jets made him an offer, and the Pats made him a better offer. Great move. I love it!

I know we needed the depth anyway but I hope this isn't an indication of some kind of concern over Haynesworth (injury?).

They had him in for a visit before Haynesworth started missing practices.

I am almost speechless.

I guess this is just another case of the Pats picking up the trash that couldn't make it on the Jets.

some people are really stupid.

The trash that couldn't make it on the Jets?? Come on now. The Jets are more well known for picking up the Pats trash (Crable, O'Connell). And, Ellis is trash now??

Hummm, you seem.......disgruntled.

Come on people, Gunnails is way too classy to not have been posting ironically. At least Deus got it:

Ahh.... a Woodhead reference. Well played, sir. Well played.

Last edited:
You know how I know I should like this move? I just read the posts on the GangGreen Board, and they are overwhelmingly mortified! They hate it so much, that by definition, we should love it, and I DO!!!!!!!!

Go on wit your bad self BB!!

Book the nursing home quick ... These guy are older than Elvis.

26 year olds and under on D:

McCourty
Meriwether
Chung
Arrington
Mayo
Spikes
Cunningham
Dowling
Brace
Deaderick
Guyton
Butler
Love
Fletcher
Pryor

Any more genius comments?

Last edited:
I'll say! How many positions do you think these 12 guys are battling for?

Brace
Cohen
Deaderick
Ellis
Haynesworth
Love
Pryor
Richard
Weston
Wilfork
Williams
Wright

Most likely 7. Too many question marks (including in health and conditioning) for the team to rely on just 6. Yes, I know that's a lot when no more than 3 of them will be on the field at once. But these are guys who routinely are double-teamed by other strong guys, and hence are entitled to get tired enough that they need to rotate in and out more.

Ellis was a great Jet, lunch pail guy that played through injury. Can play anywhere on the Dline in any scheme, smart veteran player.

Solid pick up for the Pats.

I am not happy, yet I blame no one, I'm like Rex I wish Ellis health, but not good luck.

Maybe in a year or 2 the Jets can sign him to a one day contract and let him retire a Jet.

Maybe in a year or 2 the Jets can sign him to a one day contract and let him retire a Jet.

Just curious about Jet's policy: at that retirement ceremony in a couple of years, will he be allowed to wear his two Super Bowl rings?

Ellis was a great Jet, lunch pail guy that played through injury. Can play anywhere on the Dline in any scheme, smart veteran player.

I am not happy, yet I blame no one, I'm like Rex I wish Ellis health, but not good luck.

You're gonna get Banned on JI,Gunny,for being a decent human being.:rocker:

From what I understand, Jets fans don't see the Pats as their #1 rival. That would be the Dolphins. What would Jets fans be saying if he went there instead? I can't imagine even more vitriol.

Banned on Jet Insipid...that calls for a Presidential Medal of Freedom..

decorations-and-medals0.gif

Rich CImini on ESPN just now loves the move for the Patriots. He said since Ellis can play DE or DT and since he's equally proficient in a 4-3 and 3-4, that he's BB's type of player (given that BB values versatile players so much).

He also said that it was a bonus that he snagged a player from his main rival.

Last edited:
This is a good Belichick type signing. I like the veteran/youth mix and the way it's shaping up on D.

Might be a little hard for me to get use to cheering for him at first though. ;)

It's not hard, Mogs...look ...just follow my lead....J-T-S-E.... OG JTSE!!!

see?....simple..(minded)

I just can't see that. A team with such a deep NT/DT staff in such a deep DL, is not going to line-up in 3 man fronts very often. In particular since our LB group isn't that great. I see 4, 5, even 6 man fronts. With perhaps over 90% of non goal line snaps taken at 4-3, 5-2, and 5-1 (w/ a S in the box perhaps). Mayo is on the field no matter what, if I'm right what would we be doing with 8 LB's - and more so 5 ILB's? The number of guys that will play OLB and DL could be pretty extreme like 7 to 9, but if cut them down to the dominant position that they play it'll be IMO:

9 DL & 7 LB for 16 minimum. If the roster has 17 - which I believe, then it'll be an extra DT or DE.

10 DL
4 OLB
3 ILB

with at least two, if not 3 of the LB's getting more action on special teams then vs the offense.
OK. First, if we play a 43 instead of a 34 one of the OLBs becomes a DE, and we would only have, at most 3 traditional DL type guys on the field.
Second, 52 or 51? Really? When is the last time an NFL team played that?
Abd 90% of non goalline? We were in nickel/dime 57% of the time last year.

I was thinking the same thing. Breer had a couple of tweets on this:

".. Ellis adds nice Haynesworth insurance for Patriots, depth to the interior line. Real good move by NE."

" Ellis is an end in the 34, interior rusher ... That's how Haynesworth projects. Different guys, but 1 provides depth for other."

Hopefully it's more just two old guys needing to rotate, as opposed to an injury situation.
But we need 2 of them on the field.

It's going to be weird watching the Jets and not seeing Ellis there on the line. He was the rock of our D-line for more than a decade. He was a GREAT Jet.

I'm kind of at a loss for words, so I'll just say that I wish him all the success in the world (except when he's playing the Jets), and that if the Pats win the Super Bowl, while most of me will be pissed, a small part will be happy that Ellis finally won a ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes