PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaugnessy: Patriots aren't going anywhere near the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we just fielded the worst pass defense in NFL history this year. Shaugnessy is a guy who likes to say things that get clicks, like everyone else in that haggard industry that I used to want to be a part of does. However he isn't that far off in this one. In the divisional round, we'll either get the Bengals or the Texans so our one and done playoff woes should be over right there (even though the Bengals have a good defense and a passing offense that could expose us). It's the championship round where our flaws will ultimately be covered up or exposed big time. In all, our offense has to be our best defense in the postseason. That's sad to say, but T.O.P. has to be our best friend. Run the ball and open things up in the short passing game to keep their offense and our defense off the field.

I think after Detroits performance yesterday GB may have passed us on the worst passing D list, I havent checked numbers but they gave up 520 yards. Of course Shank is probably picking GB to win it all.

Green Bay fortunately snatched the title of being the worst passing D, from us, with that 520 yard performance in Detroit, and leads not only in total yards given up, but also in average yards given up per game.

Green Bay fortunately snatched the title of being the worst passing D, from us, with that 520 yard performance in Detroit, and leads not only in total yards given up, but also in average yards given up per game.

Despite all the yardage given up, Green Bay has the 9th best passer rating against. The Patriots come in at 20th (with a opposing QB rating of 86, which isn't too bad).

I think the yards thing is generally overrated. The defensive passer rating is a much, much better stat - and it does tell the story. The Green Bay defense is very talented.

To me, the Patriots pass defense is what it is. It's obviously not great. But if they make plays, it will be good enough to win a championship.

The alarming thing is that the Patriots are 24th in YPC against. This team hasn't established it can defend the run, and that's the only thing that worries me. If we get into a shoot-out, I like our chances - certainly up until the Super Bowl at the very least. But if a team runs on us, then we have some real issues.

Last edited:
I believe we just fielded the worst pass defense in NFL history this year. Shaugnessy is a guy who likes to say things that get clicks, like everyone else in that haggard industry that I used to want to be a part of does. However he isn't that far off in this one. In the divisional round, we'll either get the Bengals or the Texans so our one and done playoff woes should be over right there (even though the Bengals have a good defense and a passing offense that could expose us). It's the championship round where our flaws will ultimately be covered up or exposed big time. In all, our offense has to be our best defense in the postseason. That's sad to say, but T.O.P. has to be our best friend. Run the ball and open things up in the short passing game to keep their offense and our defense off the field.
1) The Packers are the worst defense in NFL history according to your standards, not the Patriots. These stats shouldn't surprise any NFL fan this year, given that three of the top five passing yardage performances in league history are from 2011.

2) There's no possibility we'll play the Texans in the divisional round. It's the Broncos, Bengals, or Steelers.

3) You have no idea what will happen in the AFC Championship, if we make it there.

Despite all the yardage given up, Green Bay has the 9th best passer rating against. The Patriots come in at 20th (with a opposing QB rating of 86, which isn't too bad).

I think the yards thing is generally overrated. The defensive passer rating is a much, much better stat - and it does tell the story. The Green Bay defense is very talented.

To me, the Patriots pass defense is what it is. It's obviously not great. But if they make plays, it will be good enough to win a championship.

The alarming thing is that the Patriots are 24th in YPC against. This team hasn't established it can defend the run, and that's the only thing that worries me. If we get into a shoot-out, I like our chances - certainly up until the Super Bowl at the very least. But if a team runs on us, then we have some real issues.
The Packers have a lower passer rating because they have more interceptions. They aren't a good pass defense, and Brady takes care of the ball.

They've given up more points than the Patriots. That's the bottom line. They're the same unit with bigger names in the secondary and a worse pass rush than ours despite having Clay Matthews on the team.

I didnt read the article, but I did see something this morning that is a cause for concern. The Pats did not beat a team with an above .500 record and were 1-2 against playoff teams this season. The only victory coming against Denver. Im pulling hard for the Pats, but I also have my doubts they can win the whole thing.
The Pats didn't play but 2 teams with winning records all year. So it's kind of hard to "beat a team with a winning record" when you play so few of them.

On the flip side of that, you can say that the Pats had a hand in prevent 6 teams from having winnnig records..

When you think about it, Shaughnessy is playing the oldest game in the book. Right now, at best, the Pats have a 33-percent chance of getting there factoring in Baltimore and Pittsburgh -- even less factoring in the other three AFC playoff teams. The odds of being "correct" are in his favor so he can confidently plan on coming back and saying "I told you so." Screw him, he knows nothing.

I didnt read the article, but I did see something this morning that is a cause for concern. The Pats did not beat a team with an above .500 record and were 1-2 against playoff teams this season. The only victory coming against Denver. Im pulling hard for the Pats, but I also have my doubts they can win the whole thing.

I skimmed the article and I didn't see these salient points either. The Pats schedule was soft. But I could still see a SB appearance because there isn't any AFC team significantly better overall.

I agree with this, except for the last sentence. I want no part of the Giants in the SB. They have our number. They're not a better team ... Hell, no ... but it's one of those things. This year's game sealed it for me.

The only thing this year's game proved is that the Giants get the better end of the Refs calls. That was the case when Mike Carrey said, after the SB, that he should have blown the whistle on Manning for being in the grasp. And it was the case this year with the poor officiating.

Douche bag Dan's ego inflated opinions are on par with Ryan's SB predictions, can't stand his bloated ramblings.

Dan has been making a living talking about the Red Sox in their doom and gloom days. I honestly think he is pissed that they finally won a couple. I'm sure he was elated when he was able to write about the collapse this year.;)

Especially when it come to the Patriots. I honestly think he revels in misery and hopes the city of Boston would have a Gotham dark look to it like in the Batman movies. He is one depressing slob with a really bad hair do.

The only thing this year's game proved is that the Giants get the better end of the Refs calls. That was the case when Mike Carrey said, after the SB, that he should have blown the whistle on Manning for being in the grasp. And it was the case this year with the poor officiating.

Also, what about Pierre Woods recovering a fumble in the first half. He was separated from the pack, should have been down on contact.

There was also a big clock issue at the end, Patriots lost many seconds as refs lost control of game clock.

It's appalling how little analysis if any kind was it that column.

He also introduced the concept of the Pats' opponents playing from behind as if that somehow invalidated the Pats' success, without explaining how the game got to that point if the Pats always start by spot the other side a big lead.

Douche bag Dan's ego inflated opinions are on par with Ryan's SB predictions, can't stand his bloated ramblings.

You know, I've never liked Shaughnessy, but how does having an opinion about the Pats' chances make him an egomaniac?

You know, I've never liked Shaughnessy, but how does having an opinion about the Pats' chances make him an egomaniac?

Because in the past he has given advice to Belichick about running a football team?

Thats a small sampling though.. they only had 3 chances and you have to look at the season when they played the games.. I thought the first half of the Pats schedule was tough.. the second half was not.

They beat 6 teams (one of them twice) who WOULD HAVE had winning records had they not faced the Pats.

It's a fact. You can look it up.

My email to him

Hi!

I can understand not doing one's best work right around the New Year holiday, but you took it to an extreme in your Mirage column.

1. You said almost nothing to actually support your points.

2. With no explanation, you jumped from "The Pats always start games behind" to "The Pats' later game defensive success doesn't count because they're playing ahead".

It's obvious that you care more about writing well than doing good analysis, and that's a completely legitimate choice when one's as good a writer as you are. But even so, whatever the minimum standard should be for the quality of the analysis in your work, that column didn't meet it.

Best regards,

His speedy response:

It’s NOT analysis. It’s opinion. It’s a feeling.
Lighten up, sport.
Happy new year.

Last edited:
My email to him

His speedy response:
Quote:
It’s NOT analysis. It’s opinion. It’s a feeling.
Lighten up, sport.
Happy new year.

You're shocked that he has no regard for his profession?

Last edited:
Its promising when one of the local contrarian born and bred Red Sox pessimest produces another, "look over here column". Good old Dans viewpoint has about as much merit as a coin flip. Which, after all is a 50/50 shot of being right.
Thanks for checking in Dan....

My email to him

His speedy response:

You should write him back and ask why the "feeling" of someone who knows jack about football should matter enough to write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back