PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaughnessy's latest idiocy

milwaukeebeers44

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/24/some_advice_dont_look_now/

This is probably the dumbest thing he has ever written, hands down:

If you can't see what's happening here, it is your own fault. The Red Sox, like the Patriots, are simply smarter than every other organization. They have vision while the rest of the baseball world wears bifocals. And they rely on a flock of fans who are willing to pay $12 just to walk into an empty ballpark and look at the ancient poles.

milwaukeebeers44 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/24/some_advice_dont_look_now/

This is probably the dumbest thing he has ever written, hands down:

If you can't see what's happening here, it is your own fault. The Red Sox, like the Patriots, are simply smarter than every other organization. They have vision while the rest of the baseball world wears bifocals. And they rely on a flock of fans who are willing to pay $12 just to walk into an empty ballpark and look at the ancient poles.
Actually I have to disagree with you there. It's all tongue in cheeck and Shaugnessy does a good job at it. I think he's mocking the Red Sox for thinking they are as smart as the Pats.

I would rather see the Red Sox lose this year then continue to trade their young players. Hanson has looked terrible, still wouldn't do it. Meanwhile, the Yankees will continue to spend, spend, and spend. They will continue to be good every year. Theo has chosen not to compete with their spending, but to continue to work the youngsters into the club. I can wait, I've seen a Sox championship in my lifetime. Not to be morbid, but Georgie isn't long for the world, then what happens with the Yankees?

scout said:
I would rather see the Red Sox lose this year then continue to trade their young players. Hanson has looked terrible, still wouldn't do it. Meanwhile, the Yankees will continue to spend, spend, and spend. They will continue to be good every year. Theo has chosen not to compete with their spending, but to continue to work the youngsters into the club. I can wait, I've seen a Sox championship in my lifetime. Not to be morbid, but Georgie isn't long for the world, then what happens with the Yankees?

They didn't have to trade anyone to get abreu and Lidle. All it would have taken was money, money which they have and were willing to pay to Clemens at the beginning of the season. This "we don't want to sacrifice the future" is a bald-faced lie that some faithful red sox fans are being snookered by. Also, waiting for Steinbrenner to die is like waiting for Castro to die. We've been waiting for 20 years. The guy could live to 100.

Yea, your right on that trade. The Yankees did not give up anyone for those players. Although on George, I have been hearing he's not been too healthy of late.

PonyExpress said:
They didn't have to trade anyone to get abreu and Lidle. All it would have taken was money, money which they have and were willing to pay to Clemens at the beginning of the season.
Bullcrap. Abreu and Lidle would have cost 3 times the amount they would have had to pay Clemens.
PonyExpress said:
This "we don't want to sacrifice the future" is a bald-faced lie that some faithful red sox fans are being snookered by. Also, waiting for Steinbrenner to die is like waiting for Castro to die. We've been waiting for 20 years. The guy could live to 100.
I am glad they didn't make any deadline deals because they have a great future and great young talent. You, however, seem to prefer the Lou Gorman approach to sacrifice the future so we can make it - and get annihiliated - in the postseason.

QuiGon said:
Bullcrap. Abreu and Lidle would have cost 3 times the amount they would have had to pay Clemens.
I am glad they didn't make any deadline deals because they have a great future and great young talent. You, however, seem to prefer the Lou Gorman approach to sacrifice the future so we can make it - and get annihiliated - in the postseason.
Why do you keep misrepresenting my arguments? Do you work for Theo or are you related to his underlings? Christ. They were willing to pay Clemens 22 million dollars for one year, yet they quibbled over 7 million for Abreu and Lidle, which would have swung the balance of power in the division in their favor. Plus the deal for Abreu wouldn't have sacrificed their future, because it was a pure cash deal. No prospects would have had to be dealt. I'm starting to wonder if you're really a Yankee fan. If you were, you would have come up with same plan for the Sox as Theo did this year.

I had no idea that Abreu was that fast. After seeing him play against the Sox I was impressed, and pissed at the same time.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back