PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

shaughnessey finally sees the light

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsgo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
now we need to give his therapists name to borges ,felger, ryan, and the gang.there is hope for those clowns!

now we need to give his therapists name to borges ,felger, ryan, and the gang.there is hope for those clowns!

that is a terrible editorial column by shaughnessy

from the first paragraph, all I could think was, wow--this guy is an ass...

f him if he thinks he speaks for me as a NE sports fan

that is a terrible editorial column by shaughnessy

from the first paragraph, all I could think was, wow--this guy is an ass...

f him if he thinks he speaks for me as a NE sports fan

He really is. I don't mind hearing/reading occasional negativity from Boston writers as long as it's realistic,well-presented, and backed up. The 24/7 cheerleader stuff gets boring after awhile and it needs to be balanced off,but the likes of Borges and Shaughnessy who script their comments in such an abrasive,pompous,arrogant manner, deserve every bit of backlash they get.

Given his past reports, my impression is one of complete sarcasm in his most recent contribution!

This article was one of the most arrogant pieces of excrement I have ever read. I didn't think this guy could could get much lower, but he has. A cynical, mean-spirited, people-hating windbag. The not-so-subtle shots at Reiss and all of NE sports is nothing short of spitting in our face, Globe sports style.

Judging from my initial reaction to it and all the other posts in this thread, I think you may have missed Harpo Marx's real meaning in his "Yahoo" column.

He can take his foam fingers and shove them up his ***:p

Shaughnessy's bitter tone is a sign of the times... he knows the football barbarians are at the gates of his baseball kingdom, and the region will never be the same again. Football is spreading rapidly in the region, even UMass is debating going Division I. If you read Buckley, Massarotti and Shaughnessy's shoddy football efforts this year, the barely-suppressed envy is visceral, irrational....they want nothing more than for the Pats to fail just like the Red Sox last year, to strip the aura from BB so that much-maligned Red Sox management will cease to suffer by comparison. They want things to be as they were, a provincial baseball town ruled by bitter baseball scribes.. but now a whole new crop of young-gun football reporters is on the rise region-wide... Reiss, Tomase, Breer, Felger, commanding the public's attention, setting the sports' agenda, displacing baseball from the airwaves and the headlines, threatening the old baseball guard represented by tenured maven "Curly" Dan.

Once again, in a football column, Curly Dan feels compelled to make a baseball comment in THE VERY FIRST SENTENCE/PARAGRAPH. I wonder what he and Lucchino talk about when they plot media strategy, Lucchino plying him with whiskey and offering pet jobs to Curly Dan's immediate family... that's how Boston works, doesn't it? The Sox knew they had to make a splash this offseason... one more incompetent year like last year and they would have become 2nd class to the Pats despite the oft-repeated axiom that this is a Red Sox region. Not anymore, folks, and they are starting to squirm. We don't need them anymore....

Last edited:
Where is his article, please???
NEM, you have to have ESP on these things, didn't you know? I thought it pretty strange also to see 6 or 7 posts about some Shaughnessy article with no link.

Shaughnessy's bitter tone is a sign of the times... ...

If it weren't for the fact that this IS his tone regardless of sport, I'd agree with you. This is a very bitter, mean-spirited man who would rather set his tongue on fire than say something unconditionally positive about either the Pats or the Sox. He's referred to as CHB (curly-haired b*st*rd) on a local baseball board.

Shaughnessy's bitter tone is a sign of the times... he knows the football barbarians are at the gates of his baseball kingdom, and the region will never be the same again. Football is spreading rapidly in the region, even UMass is debating going Division I. If you read Buckley, Massarotti and Shaughnessy's shoddy football efforts this year, the barely-suppressed envy is visceral, irrational....they want nothing more than for the Pats to fail just like the Red Sox last year, to strip the aura from BB so that much-maligned Red Sox management will cease to suffer by comparison. They want things to be as they were, a provincial baseball town ruled by bitter baseball scribes.. but now a whole new crop of young-gun football reporters is on the rise region-wide... Reiss, Tomase, Breer, Felger, commanding the public's attention, setting the sports' agenda, displacing baseball from the airwaves and the headlines, threatening the old baseball guard represented by tenured maven "Curly" Dan.

Once again, in a football column, Curly Dan feels compelled to make a baseball comment in THE VERY FIRST SENTENCE/PARAGRAPH. I wonder what he and Lucchino talk about when they plot media strategy, Lucchino plying him with whiskey and offering pet jobs to Curly Dan's immediate family... that's how Boston works, doesn't it? The Sox knew they had to make a splash this offseason... one more incompetent year like last year and they would have become 2nd class to the Pats despite the oft-repeated axiom that this is a Red Sox region. Not anymore, folks, and they are starting to squirm. We don't need them anymore....

Bingo!!! We've got Bingo!!!

Great Post!!!

NEM, you have to have ESP on these things, didn't you know? I thought it pretty strange also to see 6 or 7 posts about some Shaughnessy article with no link.

sorry man--i read it early this AM and was too disgusted to link it or even start a thread about it...but i knew someone else would eventually chime in...

Nail head meet hammer. Especially the part of all those baseball columnists who are now wading into an area that they know nothing about. I used to have respect for Massarotti when he kept to the area where he has knowledge, but his foray into football is just embarrassing.....much like Shaughnessy's.

Shaughnessy is reviled by all Boston sports fans. This has more to do with his hatred of the Pats' organization and their management of media access than a pro-Sox bent. I know for a fact he is hated by many Sox players. The guy likes only himself, which makes for an arrogant and pompous windbag. Yet, here we talking and writing about the blowhard, reading his column and driving up metrics for his Globe. That's all they care about -- hits on the website, which determines their comp. They will write anything to drive traffic to them. The only conclusion is to ignore the morons. Maybe then they will slink back to whatever wretched place they come from...

Given his past reports, my impression is one of complete sarcasm in his most recent contribution!

It's wholeheartedly sarcasm. Shaughnessy is a complete ass. God, I hate him...he is such a freaking dweeb.

What really cracked me up is the Pierce quote.

"The notoriously cranky Boston media went so deeply into the tank for the [Patriots] that some of its members may not dry off until the year 2525. Local television stations, and WEEI, the Boston sports-radio juggernaut, committed themselves to what amounted to gooey weekly infomercials for the franchise."

Is this book a science fiction/sports hybrid? The bizarro world where the press is actually happy to report on a very succesful team?

Actually one of his better columns in awhile - he's not ripping or trying to ridicule anyone. He's right: the Pats have a status with fans and media that is unprecedented in New England.

However, if they lose tomorrow, that'll all be a distant memory.

Actually one of his better columns in awhile - he's not ripping or trying to ridicule anyone. He's right: the Pats have a status with fans and media that is unprecedented in New England.

However, if they lose tomorrow, that'll all be a distant memory.

They have one writer that actually follows the team and doesn't hate them for their success.

The talk radio station will probably be talking more about trading for a backup infielder than about the Patriots during the playoffs.

They don't let globe writers use these ":rolleyes: " but you might try inserting one per sentence and rereading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey