PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen's Impact against Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodys far faster.

Vereen is NOT fast. He's quick. People think he's fast cause he beat a LB for that TD.

I agree, Woody has better straight line speed, AND is very shifty. Vereen is shifty and fast too, but I think Woodhead has him beat in both departments.

I dont think it has to be woodhead vs. Vereen...both have their skill-sets and I expect both to get snaps on sunday.

maybe even both at the same time? that would be interesting because you would have essentially 5 receivers when you go no spread, but 2 running backs if you wanted to confuse a defense

woodhead has been SO clutch for us this year...if he's good to go I want to see him out there.

Last edited:
I dont think it has to be woodhead vs. Vereen...both have their skill-sets and I expect both to get snaps on sunday.

maybe even both at the same time? that would be interesting because you would have essentially 5 receivers when you go no spread, but 2 running backs if you wanted to confuse a defense

woodhead has been SO clutch for us this year...if he's good to go I want to see him out there.

Imagine Vereen lined up as a wide receiver and Woodhead coming out of the backfield on a 3rd down. How do you cover those guys ?

100 bucks says you'll see Vereen and Woodhead on the field at the same time in this game. Brady will have plenty of options without Gronk.

Can we call a RB fast, esp one who is looking like a 3rd down back at least for now, who runs a 4.5-40 yard dash? Maybe he has "football speed"???

I've been been very opptimistic on this guy from day 1 but he's not especially big or fast.

I'm not talking so much about downfield speed. Despite that play of beauty last week, Vereen is not a wide receiver. RB speed, IMO, is very much subject to the eye test -- and Vereen beats people. (Compare to Ridley, who doesn't beat people but relies on a combo of balance and power that makes him hard to bring down.) Among the tribe of RBs who beat people, Vereen is a pretty big guy.

IAmong the tribe of RBs who beat people, Vereen is a pretty big guy.

I think that's part of what has been so enticing about Vereen to so many since he came out: his combination of elusiveness and power. He's fairly big (5'10" 210#) and very strong for his size. His 31 reps @ 225 at the 2011 combine was the most by a true RB (not a FB) that year, and the most over the past 6 years. Vereen has the power to run outside and to break tackles, but the elusiveness to be deadly in space, and the ability to beat people in the open field. And his receiving skills have always been very WR-like for a RB. That's a pretty unusual combination. From Deion Branch's comments, it sounds like Vereen has been consistently showing those abilities in practice, he just hasn't gotten the opportunity to do so on the field on a regular basis, but the talent is undeniably there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes