PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen's Impact against Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Anyone else see him having another huge game?

With Gronk going down, we are missing a threat if Welker/Hernandez get doubled. Lloyd has proven to be good, but not a game breaker. Vereen will need to step up.

I think Vereen will play a lot of WR, creating mismatches with their LBs.

The more speed the Patriots can put on the field against the Ravens the better.

He will get some snaps, but Woody has enjoyed an outstanding Faulk-like season. He was a full participant in practice today and will assume his usual role on Sun. I understand the latest/greatest rush, but one good game is not going to move Vereen past Woodhead. Great depth allows us to keep a fresh set of legs in there and, along with the no-huddle, will wear out the behemoths on defense.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him contribute again, and I definitely agree that his speed is crazy. He obviously poses huge matchup problems vs the BAL LB's, as does Woodhead. I think that the RB's may actually be the biggest key to our offense running effectively from here on out, both in the traditional sense and also in the screen game and RB passes. We could use a good blocking effort by both Hooman and Hernandez to help to offset some of the physical loss that Gronk will leave us with.

This is one more reason that I like doubling up in the draft, and would like to see it done again, possibly even this year at the positions either in the trenches on either side of the ball, or in the secondary. Both picks of Ridley and Vereen not only put fresh youth and speed into a much needed position, but both look to have nice futures and a lot of upside.

He will get some snaps, but Woody has enjoyed an outstanding Faulk-like season. He was a full participant in practice today and will assume his usual role on Sun. I understand the latest/greatest rush, but one good game is not going to move Vereen past Woodhead. Great depth allows us to keep a fresh set of legs in there and, along with the no-huddle, will wear out the behemoths on defense.

I hear you.

But Vereen > Branch. He should easily step in as the 3rd WR

On the contrary, when it comes to playoffs there is always a surprise from BB. I wouldn't put it past him to start Vereen, or even both Ridley and Vereen at the same time. Both Bolden and Woodhead should also be active which makes it reasonable to put at least 2 RBs on the field at once.

It is to our benefit that Vereen has the ability to flex out and act like a receiver not just because it forces the Ravens to tip its hands as to what defense it intends to play, but also because Vereen is likely going to be covered by a LB (unless Ravens are in nickel/dime) so that is one less LB to deal with in the box.

On the contrary, when it comes to playoffs there is always a surprise from BB. I wouldn't put it past him to start Vereen, or even both Ridley and Vereen at the same time. Both Bolden and Woodhead should also be active which makes it reasonable to put at least 2 RBs on the field at once.

It is to our benefit that Vereen has the ability to flex out and act like a receiver not just because it forces the Ravens to tip its hands as to what defense it intends to play, but also because Vereen is likely going to be covered by a LB (unless Ravens are in nickel/dime) so that is one less LB to deal with in the box.

This is what I like about Vereen the most with our hurry up offense. If the Ravens want to stay in their base defense, put Vereen on the outside and let him match up 1 on 1 with their slow LBs. If they want to go nickel/dime, don't let the defense sub and line him up in the backfield.

Woodhead can probably do this as well. I'm guessing we'll mostly see Woodhead/Vereen this weekend rather than Ridley.

Which could be a huge benefit to us since BAL will most likely use some form of double coverage on Welker and Hernandez.

Splitting Vereen out wide could be a massive counter move in the ultimate chess match that will occur on Sunday.

I'm guessing we'll mostly see Woodhead/Vereen this weekend rather than Ridley.

In hurry up situations and drive, absolutely.

That said, I would still very much expect to see at least 12-15 carries from Ridley in the traditional running sense.

If we know anything from JMcD, he may not even play many snaps. ;)

Anyone else see him having another huge game?

With Gronk going down, we are missing a threat if Welker/Hernandez get doubled. Lloyd has proven to be good, but not a game breaker. Vereen will need to step up.

I think Vereen will play a lot of WR, creating mismatches with their LBs.

I disagree with you on Lloyd. He had a great game against the Ravens in week 3! He was pretty much burning them the entire game. Lloyd's very capable of going off @ any moment!

Vereen could be the next Kevin Faulk 2.0 version which would be huge against the Ravens.

Earlier in the year when the Pats would run the turbo no-huddle with one back behind Brady, it often was a run. Especially after moving the chains. A few teams were wise to this and would sell out to stop the run with success.

I'd love to see Vereen and Ridley in the game at the same time while the Pats are running the turbo. Have both RBs line up behind Brady, quick snap, then let the D figure out which one is getting the ball. Add in some play-action to Ridley while Vereen runs a flare to the spot Welker cleared out and I love the possibilities.

Regards,
Chris

it's funny how after 1 HUGE game and an 8 catch season..he is all of a sudden another huge reliable weapon. I like the guy...but not sure he can be relied on so fast again...he can be used..but won't be as effective as last week

Last edited:
it's funny how after 1 HUGE game and an 8 catch season..he is all of a sudden another huge reliable weapon. I like the guy...but not sure he can be relied on so fast again...he can be used..but won't be as effective as last week

It's obviously all speculation but I disagree. Check the game tape. SV played with A LOT of purpose. This wasn't just some lucky flip of the coin/a guy in the right place at the right time, he had fire in him! He hit those holes like a bolt of lightning. He didn't miss a single blitz pick up. He went out for passes like he wanted that ball bad! and then he was going to ram it right through the defense. Just a fierce performance...

After seeing the game then re-watching it, there is no way SV should not see the field frequently.....and this is coming from someone who thinks Woody is valuable.

It's obviously all speculation but I disagree. Check the game tape. SV played with A LOT of purpose. This wasn't just some lucky flip of the coin/a guy in the right place at the right time, he had fire in him! He hit those holes like a bolt of lightning. He didn't miss a single blitz pick up. He went out for passes like he wanted that ball bad! and then he was going to ram it right through the defense. Just a fierce performance...

After seeing the game then re-watching it, there is no way SV should not see the field frequently.....and this is coming from someone who thinks Woody is valuable.

Agree. Not saying he should play every snap, but he played well last game, and if he is looking good he should get more opportunity.

Guys get hot in the playoffs. Jermaine Wiggins had a 10 catch game in the snow vs Oakland after having 14 all season.

He doesn't have to prove himself over a large sample size, this isn't baseball. He has to prove himself over about 20 snaps or so this week. Ride the hot hand against the Ravens.

I think Vereen has the talent and skillset to be as good (or better) than Kevin Faulk on the football field.

Agree. Not saying he should play every snap, but he played well last game, and if he is looking good he should get more opportunity.

Guys get hot in the playoffs. Jermaine Wiggins had a 10 catch game in the snow vs Oakland after having 14 all season.

He doesn't have to prove himself over a large sample size, this isn't baseball. He has to prove himself over about 20 snaps or so this week. Ride the hot hand against the Ravens.

Exactly. I'm also not saying SV needs to see every snap. The Patriots have their play packages that aren't about to be all reworked around SV because he looked great last week. But what he showed and how he showed it cannot be ignored because it was only one game. The guy played with an intensity. Biggest game of his young career and he brought his biggest mental focus of his career. Considering that, IMHO, I just don't see why JM/BB wouldn't want him on the field (especially given Woody's injury).

If SV falls back to earth and last week was an anomaly, Woody, if healthy, is still there and still solid as steel reliable.

Vereen is the victim of a poorly timed injury (or couple of injuries) and a stacked roster at the skill positions. I never got the impression that he wasn't playing because he wasn't good.

He was injured his whole rookie year, then training camp came around and when he was healthy he looked great, they made it a point to get him in the receiving game in the practices I saw. Then he got injured again at which point Ridley, Woodhead, Edelman, Welker, Hernadez, Gronk, Lloyd and to a lesser extent Bolden became established in offensive roles.

His breakout to me has more to do with him finally getting the opportunity to show what he's got than some fluke matchup or scheme. It's one thing to get a few carries in garbage time or a random goal line snap here and there, it's another thing to get to take over all the important 3rd down plays drawn up for Woodhead for an entire game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back