PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Vereen has shown plenty. He was explosive against the Saints, he showed he is very good at catching the ball, running screens etc.

As for talk about regular season carries. He was phenominal against KC, the Patriots ran the ball a ton of times in a row, when the defense expected it and Vereen kept on running for first downs.

I think he is going to be special. He got dinged up, ankle....crap luck, but he has looked very good to my untrained eyes. The stats don't tell the whole story.

He looks very comfortable catching the ball, way more comfortable than any of the other backs, including woodhead.

Vereen has shown me more than Bolden. It's all potential at this point and Vereen's ceiling looks much higher to me.

I think Vereen has shown plenty. He was explosive against the Saints, he showed he is very good at catching the ball, running screens etc.

As for talk about regular season carries. He was phenominal against KC, the Patriots ran the ball a ton of times in a row, when the defense expected it and Vereen kept on running for first downs.

I think he is going to be special. He got dinged up, ankle....crap luck, but he has looked very good to my untrained eyes. The stats don't tell the whole story.

He looks very comfortable catching the ball, way more comfortable than any of the other backs, including woodhead.
The thing is I'm not even arguing against Bolden. I like the look of him as a power runner. The thing is he's raw right now and I'm hopeful he'll be stashed on the PS to develop his game. Vereen... I like the look of a lot.

Last edited:
The thing is I'm not even arguing against Bolden. I like the look of him as a power runner. The thing is he's raw right now and I'm hopeful he'll be stashed on the PS to develop his game. Vereen... I like the look of a lot.

Oh yeah, he gets his pad level low, he falls forward and he squeaks out all the yards that are there...most of the time. I have seen him make a bad choice here or there in his cuts, but that is an experience thing.

However, he does have to stay healthy.

I don't understand you guys. Are you aware that we are entering a Golden Age of RBs for the Pats. Have you all forgotten the years when we were encouraged when ASmith managed to average 3.8i ypc in a game. Back in the days when we tried to convince ourselves that it was more about the "number" of carries than the yardage you made. :rolleyes:

Think about it. This could be the best Pats running attack since Corey Dillon circa 2005. Since that time the Pats' running game has been choppy at best, with mere moments of brilliance surrounded by a gray utilitarian competence.

Now we are seeing signs that we have 2 runners who can not only give us 4 hard yards, but explode for 20 on more than rare occasions. People are worried when they shouldn't be. They aren't believing their eyes, and and fear a lack of experience from the one position where experience matters the least.

Remember the running game has looked good in 2 of the 3 preseason game even though the OL is in disarray and the Passing game hasn't come together Can you imagine how good it will be and that group gets a chance to develop some cohesiveness and you see some coordination and synergy between the running and passing games.

That being said I see us with the 5 RBs that everyone talks about. But my 5 are Woodhead, Ridley, and Vareen as RBs - Ketanni as the FB, and Demps as the return guy. I think Boldin is better served on the PS. Of course if Vareen's injury keeps him out past today, then you would keep Boldin and send Ketanni to the PS

A running back needs to do more than catch the ball and if he wants to be on the field to catch passes he has also has to be able to block. His running has left me unimpressed - no power or NFL speed.

Don't understand the love affair with Bolden. Guys has sown next to nothing for me.

I do understand it and you should too. Its the BJGE thing.

Personally I don't think he makes the 53, I can see Kettani making it though and most don't.

I like what I've seen from both, aside from one run by Bolden where he lost like 10 yards trying to make something out of nothing. Vereen can't seem to stay healthy though

A running back needs to do more than catch the ball and if he wants to be on the field to catch passes he has also has to be able to block. His running has left me unimpressed - no power or NFL speed.

:bricks:

That's all I have to say to that. I'm glad your job isn't to scout NFL talent!

I do understand it and you should too. Its the BJGE thing.

Personally I don't think he makes the 53, I can see Kettani making it though and most don't.

I've been projecting Kettani since they transferred his position but I've been unimpressed by his performances. I really want to see him shine tonight before cut downs.

I would rather see a true FB like Kettani who has the weight than Bolden. I wouldn't complain if we didn't use either and tried to get them both on the PS.

Bolden has potential, but he's not showing it on the field yet, so I think his talents are best served on the PS.

I don't understand you guys. Are you aware that we are entering a Golden Age of RBs for the Pats. Have you all forgotten the years when we were encouraged when ASmith managed to average 3.8i ypc in a game. Back in the days when we tried to convince ourselves that it was more about the "number" of carries than the yardage you made. :rolleyes:

Think about it. This could be the best Pats running attack since Corey Dillon circa 2005. Since that time the Pats' running game has been choppy at best, with mere moments of brilliance surrounded by a gray utilitarian competence.

Now we are seeing signs that we have 2 runners who can not only give us 4 hard yards, but explode for 20 on more than rare occasions. People are worried when they shouldn't be. They aren't believing their eyes, and and fear a lack of experience from the one position where experience matters the least.

Remember the running game has looked good in 2 of the 3 preseason game even though the OL is in disarray and the Passing game hasn't come together Can you imagine how good it will be and that group gets a chance to develop some cohesiveness and you see some coordination and synergy between the running and passing games.

That being said I see us with the 5 RBs that everyone talks about. But my 5 are Woodhead, Ridley, and Vareen as RBs - Ketanni as the FB, and Demps as the return guy. I think Boldin is better served on the PS. Of course if Vareen's injury keeps him out past today, then you would keep Boldin and send Ketanni to the PS

Part of the problem is what exactly is the offense.

If Tampa is an indication......"I" formation/ take forever to run a play then Vereen might not be the best fit.

In hurry up, Vereen will be the man (health depending).

Can you see defenders trying to tackle on those swing/stretch plays as they are puking and passing out?

Vereen hasn't done squat

but then again, Ron Brace is still here

Vereen hasn't done squat

but then again, Ron Brace is still here
Except for the first game when he average over 6ypc,. and Brace has been excellent all camp. What the matter, IC, no one sending you the memos. ;)

:bricks:

That's all I have to say to that. I'm glad your job isn't to scout NFL talent!

I've been projecting Kettani since they transferred his position but I've been unimpressed by his performances. I really want to see him shine tonight before cut downs.

I would rather see a true FB like Kettani who has the weight than Bolden. I wouldn't complain if we didn't use either and tried to get them both on the PS.

Bolden has potential, but he's not showing it on the field yet, so I think his talents are best served on the PS.

Well I've argued many times on this board and other places regarding the talent level of certain players and have read and heard a lot of obnoxious posts similar to the one you just left, only to be proven correct in the long run. So, I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt.

:rolleyes::confused::enranged::nono::wha::violent::steamed::confused3::blahblah:

By the way Bolden hasn't shown it on the field yet but Vereen has, right? Their rushing stats are nearly identical in the preseason

Part of the problem is what exactly is the offense.

If Tampa is an indication......"I" formation/ take forever to run a play then Vereen might not be the best fit.

In hurry up, Vereen will be the man (health depending).

Can you see defenders trying to tackle on those swing/stretch plays as they are puking and passing out?
That's the point. In between an offense that is clearly still looking to find itself, we've seen the kind of dynamic running that hasn't been seen around here for several years.

Now lets see how it works together when the OL solidifies ,and the offense comes together in a coordinated run pass rhythm. When it is utilized in a no huddle offense. When a team is gamed planned for. THAT's what I'm excited to see as the season progresses.

That's the point. In between an offense that is clearly still looking to find itself, we've seen the kind of dynamic running that hasn't been seen around here for several years.

Now lets see how it works together when the OL solidifies ,and the offense comes together in a coordinated run pass rhythm. When it is utilized in a no huddle offense. When a team is gamed planned for. THAT's what I'm excited to see as the season progresses.

If people want to worry about stuff...worry that we really are going to "I" formation/ snail's pace offense.

What's up with that? How did people pass out of that?

If this keeps up, ken will have to go to the games in a Delauren and Ian will have wear spandix.:eek:

Ofcourse, maybe patchick will do the Jane Fonda video in those leg warmer things.

Dynamic running? Are you referring to Vereen?

This is one of those things that because it gets repeated enough it must be true. It has no basis in reality.

Last edited:
Dynamic running???? From Vereen????

This is one of those things that because it gets repeated enough it must be true. It has no basis in reality.

Your problem is ken's point just flies over your head.

Ya might want to join forces with Illegal Contact and search for the corner in the round room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes