Welcome to PatsFans.com

Shane Vereen

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Who think that he shown anything yet?

I think that we will keep Bolden on the 53 precisely because Vereen is not yet someone to be counted on. We have THREE developmental running backs: Vereen, Demps and Bolden. I'm not sure which of them I would want active for Game 1. It is good that Ridley is stepping up. We are fine with Ridley and Woodhead as our running backs, but we do need depth that can contribute.

I still think that Belichick will be scouring the waiver wire for a veteran backup. Bolden hasn't shown enough to be anywhere but on the Practice Squad.
  2. strngplyr

strngplyr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is my post on Vereen from another thread. Basically a quick rundown of my thoughts about him.

Like I said, I get the hype, but I don't think he has it (yet?).
  3. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Vereen is miles ahead of Bolden. Vereen can catch a football.
  4. strngplyr

strngplyr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You know that they both have 0 catches in the NFL, right?

You know that Bolden has more catches for more yards in college, right?
  5. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
  6. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    How has Vereen looked in his limited role at picking up the blitz/pass blocking?

IIRC, I think that he was supposed to be fairly decent in this aspect.
  7. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    What relevance does that have to the NFL and this preseason?
  8. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    I don't see Vereen being worse than what might turn up in waivers. If a change has to be made, let's do Faulk. We know he can at least pick up a blitz and do it very well.
  9. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

With Jabar Gaffney jettisoned, I should see no reason why both Bolden and Vereen can't be on the 53 man roster.
  10. strngplyr

strngplyr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You stated that Vereen is ahead of Bolden because he can catch, as if you're implying that Bolden can't, while Bolden actually did it more in college.

Why do you bring up a topic and then question the relevance of the response you get which was a direct reply to what you stated.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  11. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Vereen has demonstrated an ability in the passing game this preseason. Bolden has looked like a fish out of water (even against second and third stringers). If you're happy pulling college stats be my guest but realize they have no application in the NFL.
  12. strngplyr

strngplyr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vereens preseason stats mean as much as his college stats. Vereen has had a grand total of ONE good showing on any stage in the NFL, and it all came against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Against anything that resembles an NFL defense he's been invisible.
  13. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    While I agree with the premise preseason NFL stats are more applicable than college statistics. Whilst Vereen may have had one good showing that's one more than Bolden.
  14. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Technically, the same's true for Bolden. It should kind of go without saying that, when you're talking about two guys with virtually no NFL track record, it's all conjecture and not based on prior NFL production.

Anyways, check this out: Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights - YouTube
    Pay particular attention to 0:27, 1:05, even 4:30 (since that's how we'll be using him a lot), and 5:08.

Definitely not saying that Bolden can't catch, because he proved that he can in college. But Vereen's versatility is such that he can credibly move into the slot and act as a receiver, and the Patriots have already made it clear that they see value there. Makes sense, since that makes him a potentially lethal weapon in the no-huddle. Maybe Bolden can do the same, but I doubt it - seems like his role would be far closer to that of a standard RB.
  15. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Don't understand the love affair with Bolden. Guys has sown next to nothing for me.
  16. strngplyr

strngplyr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Mike Reiss talked him up a lot and he became a legitimate RB around here.
  17. Batman

Batman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Here at pats fans every year we get really high in guys who show a bit of promise last year there were questions about Richard Medlin after a decent preseason he didn't even make it too our PS.

I can't see us cutting Demps we put a lot of effort into signing him. It's clear he is a hard worker you can't go pro in two sports without hard work.

I believe that Ridley and Woodhead are locks right now. The fact we don't have other guys in camp as a practice body makes me believe that BB is happy with what he's got and knows what he is going to do. In the game vs the giants I think bolden has to show that he is worth us carrying 5 backs. Depending on the condition of Vereen will dictate who we have to an extent as I don't see us having just 3 running backs healthy going into week 1.

As for a FB I see it as something we don't need and therefore won't have we may carry one on the PS to help with scout stuff
  18. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm with you on FB. Since Larsen's release, I don't see one on the team. Kettani still needs work if he's going to transfer there but he is one to watch as there's no reason why he can't earn a roster spot this week. If they still intend to carry one.

I think they go with Ridley, Woodhead, Vereen, Demps and Bolden myself and try and utilise Bolden as a FB which they reportedly did in camp. I really want to see Bolden do something more in games though given his hype.
  19. stcjones

stcjones Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Now I'm one that thinks that Vereen has shown as much positive stuff overall as Ridley. Much more than Bolden who really didn't impress me. Bolden needs at least another year of practice and refinement before he will be there. Vereen to me, got the slight edge over Ridley with versatility and ability to make some positive yards...even when the crap OL (sure it will get better ) caved in. He even showed great ability to catch the ball out of the backfield better than Ridley. The only question on Vereen imho is durability. Ridley seems much more durable. But I think it will be Ridley and Vereen as starters with woodhead coming in off bench....we shall see.
  20. stcjones

stcjones Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That is not true.
    He has shown that he doesn't know how to field a punt.
  21. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think Vereen has shown plenty. He was explosive against the Saints, he showed he is very good at catching the ball, running screens etc.

As for talk about regular season carries. He was phenominal against KC, the Patriots ran the ball a ton of times in a row, when the defense expected it and Vereen kept on running for first downs.

I think he is going to be special. He got dinged up, ankle....crap luck, but he has looked very good to my untrained eyes. The stats don't tell the whole story.

He looks very comfortable catching the ball, way more comfortable than any of the other backs, including woodhead.
  22. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vereen has shown me more than Bolden. It's all potential at this point and Vereen's ceiling looks much higher to me.
  23. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    The thing is I'm not even arguing against Bolden. I like the look of him as a power runner. The thing is he's raw right now and I'm hopeful he'll be stashed on the PS to develop his game. Vereen... I like the look of a lot.
  24. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Oh yeah, he gets his pad level low, he falls forward and he squeaks out all the yards that are there...most of the time. I have seen him make a bad choice here or there in his cuts, but that is an experience thing.

However, he does have to stay healthy.
  25. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey
    I don't understand you guys. Are you aware that we are entering a Golden Age of RBs for the Pats. Have you all forgotten the years when we were encouraged when ASmith managed to average 3.8i ypc in a game. Back in the days when we tried to convince ourselves that it was more about the "number" of carries than the yardage you made. :rolleyes:

Think about it. This could be the best Pats running attack since Corey Dillon circa 2005. Since that time the Pats' running game has been choppy at best, with mere moments of brilliance surrounded by a gray utilitarian competence.

Now we are seeing signs that we have 2 runners who can not only give us 4 hard yards, but explode for 20 on more than rare occasions. People are worried when they shouldn't be. They aren't believing their eyes, and and fear a lack of experience from the one position where experience matters the least.

Remember the running game has looked good in 2 of the 3 preseason game even though the OL is in disarray and the Passing game hasn't come together Can you imagine how good it will be and that group gets a chance to develop some cohesiveness and you see some coordination and synergy between the running and passing games.

That being said I see us with the 5 RBs that everyone talks about. But my 5 are Woodhead, Ridley, and Vareen as RBs - Ketanni as the FB, and Demps as the return guy. I think Boldin is better served on the PS. Of course if Vareen's injury keeps him out past today, then you would keep Boldin and send Ketanni to the PS
  26. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A running back needs to do more than catch the ball and if he wants to be on the field to catch passes he has also has to be able to block. His running has left me unimpressed - no power or NFL speed.
  27. eagle eye

eagle eye Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I do understand it and you should too. Its the BJGE thing.

Personally I don't think he makes the 53, I can see Kettani making it though and most don't.
  28. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I like what I've seen from both, aside from one run by Bolden where he lost like 10 yards trying to make something out of nothing. Vereen can't seem to stay healthy though
  29. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vereen ain't miles ahead of any RB on this Team.:snob:
  30. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

:bricks:

That's all I have to say to that. I'm glad your job isn't to scout NFL talent!

I've been projecting Kettani since they transferred his position but I've been unimpressed by his performances. I really want to see him shine tonight before cut downs.

I would rather see a true FB like Kettani who has the weight than Bolden. I wouldn't complain if we didn't use either and tried to get them both on the PS.

Bolden has potential, but he's not showing it on the field yet, so I think his talents are best served on the PS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.