PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane Vereen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Patriots saving both Vereen and Ocho for the playoffs, it's amazing that they even won some regular season games.

Back in 1994, Parcells started Corey Croom over Marion Butts in a playoff game vs. the Browns. While Butts was not having a particularly great year, he had been the feature back all season while Croom had hardly even played (if at all).

That is putting it mildly. Butts was a total bust. I still remember his 3.1 YPA average, his lack of mobility and the wailing and gnashing of teeth when he was handed the ball.

Who is Shane Vereen?

Vereen gets to show what he has next season. Probably was set back with injuries and short camp this season. Faulk retires next season and Pats have a bunch of young legs in their backfield. I don't see anything yet that says Vereen is a bust. Ridley was healthy and got a leg up on Shane this season.

In BB We Trust :rocker:

Woodhead/Vereen are the best RBs to face the Baltimore defense. Woody had 11 carries for 63 yards (5.7ypc), his speed can attack that slow defense.

Obvious Vereen isn't ready yet, so expect to see Woodhead alot.

Can we aggregate these periodic Vereen threads with the other idiotic threads, the Ocho threads and the now defunct Taylor Price threads? So similar and so wrong.

I think I'll start a "Is this Ron Brace's Breakout Game?" thread. It ought to be good for 16 days.

Do you think Moss would help us this weekend?

If BB had been saving a "secret weapon" to unleash for this week's gameplan, logically it would have been Ocho. Unfortunately, it looks like Chad has lost almost everything that once made him an effective receiver. Hope I'm wrong and we see Ocho burn somebody deep since the Ravens are going to take our most effective weapon [gronk] completely out of the game.

I'm going to start having my sig as an explanation for Shane Vereen and the 2011 season, since there are so many who don't seem to 'get it.'

With Vereen's injury throughout training camp (which put him way behind) also nagging him well into the season, and the weird labor situation that also did not exactly favor the rookies, there was not much chance that Shane Vereen was going to get much use this particular yr.

I would imagine that he has very limited knowledge of the playbook, very limited (if any) chemistry with the proper reads/audibles and players. His blitz pickup skills obviously will need a lot of work too, as that is always an important component as a RB in this offense---unless you're Danny Woodhead, and then you get a free pass.

Vereen will see the field next yr. Especially with Faulk likely leaving, and the chance of BJGE leaving too. When you combine those potential losses with Vereen having a full-camp, and hopefully being injury free for the most part, he has a very good chance to earn some reps.

That chance was not there this yr, due to the above situations--which basically come down to his injury/missing camp, and the depth chart at RB.

Nice article by Reiss on Vereen this morning.

Seems like a well-grounded, high-character kid. Rooting hard for him to contribute next season.

Life as a Patriot: “Accountability is the biggest thing. You are accountable for all your actions, which is a good thing. Responsibility. They want you to be professional as soon as you walk in the door. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Describing his rookie season: “It’s been a learning experience, from waking up every day and getting to work on time to watching film at home – learning how to be a pro, learning how to handle myself around the guys, fit in, and do the right things.”

His approach on waiting for an opportunity to break through: “It’s tough, but you just keep working and come in with a good attitude knowing that you’re going to get better, and knowing that you need to learn something new each and every day. I think in the end, everything will take care of itself.”

What he loves about football: “Game day. Coming to work every day is a blessing. Where else would you rather be? It all pays off every Sunday when you get to put your pads on, your uniform on, and see the fans.”

Role models in his life: “Definitely my parents [Venita Taylor-Vereen and Henry Vereen], without a doubt. Both of their stories and their backgrounds are real inspiring and most of what I do is for them and to set an example for my younger brother, too. My father, his family was a big family and they didn’t have a lot of money. But he made himself. All of his brothers did. Coming from that, you know you have to be at your best at all times. He never stood for being good in football and bad at school, and vice versa. My mom was a top-of-the-class student who graduated early from high school and college, so I knew academics was always important for me and my brother. If we didn’t finish our homework, we weren’t going to football practice.”

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

So if my hunch is right, and Vereen is a surprise contributor, I'll bump this thread and resist the urge to crow a bit. Just win baby.

Last edited:
There's a history lesson for u! I had almost forgot about Croom..!

Back in 1994, Parcells started Corey Croom over Marion Butts in a playoff game vs. the Browns. While Butts was not having a particularly great year, he had been the feauture back all season while Croom had hardly even played (if at all).

Croom did nothing in the loss to the Browns.

I'm not saying it can't work but I prefer the idea of playing the guys who got you there instead of playing a hunch.

Sounds similar to the Tate explanation a couple of years ago

I'm going to start having my sig as an explanation for Shane Vereen and the 2011 season, since there are so many who don't seem to 'get it.'

With Vereen's injury throughout training camp (which put him way behind) also nagging him well into the season, and the weird labor situation that also did not exactly favor the rookies, there was not much chance that Shane Vereen was going to get much use this particular yr.

I would imagine that he has very limited knowledge of the playbook, very limited (if any) chemistry with the proper reads/audibles and players. His blitz pickup skills obviously will need a lot of work too, as that is always an important component as a RB in this offense---unless you're Danny Woodhead, and then you get a free pass.

Vereen will see the field next yr. Especially with Faulk likely leaving, and the chance of BJGE leaving too. When you combine those potential losses with Vereen having a full-camp, and hopefully being injury free for the most part, he has a very good chance to earn some reps.

That chance was not there this yr, due to the above situations--which basically come down to his injury/missing camp, and the depth chart at RB.

I'm going to start having my sig as an explanation for Shane Vereen and the 2011 season, since there are so many who don't seem to 'get it.' ...

Worth a try and I'm in the camp that thinks Vereen will do well.

But the recent failures of Tate and especially Price will give many posters here cause to jump in and declare all picks who don't star immediately as "busts." As always, only time (and BB's actions) will tell.

Sounds similar to the Tate explanation a couple of years ago

Yep, it does. And Ron Brace was just "buried on the depth chart," etc.

While there are plenty of circumstances that could explain Vereen not getting on the field, the plain fact is that Belichick plays the guys who will give him the best chance to win. I'm still hopeful, but a lost rookie season is never a GOOD thing.

(In terms of evaluating the draft pick...Vereen was the most chosen player in this board's pre-draft contest. Everybody wanted him as a Patriot because he seemed to have the perfect combo of running, receiving and blocking skills and a great attitude and character. I'm really, really surprised he hasn't contributed more.)

If Vereen is buried on the depth chart NEXT YEAR...then we can label him a bust.

Not sure why BB would want to rush him into lineup with a shortened season, no camp, and enough RB's on the roster to choke a horse.. ;)

Been thinking about him all week. If he's active, I expect him to contribute on offense.

Bedard said this morning that Woodhead will be the feature back over the law firm.

Bedard's news is probably misinformation. BB normally doesn't allow this type of information to get out prior to game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back