PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shane - Invisible Ninja - Vereen highlights and appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotSeven

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We can bury the other thread now.:D

7 carries, 41 yards, 1 touchdown 5.9ypc
5 catches, 83 yards, 2 touchdowns 16.6ypc

Total: 124 yards, 3 touchdowns, 10.3ypa

Who thought Vereen could be a deep threat?

2012 Divisional Playoffs: New England Patriots running back Shane Vereen highlights - NFL Videos

shane%2520vereen%2528TD3%2529.gif

shane%2520vereen%2528TD1%25292.gif

shane%2520vereen%2528run%2529.gif

shane%2520vereen%2528TD2%2529.gif

Last edited:
We have seen flashes of Vereen through out the year, and depth like this is a nice problem..

This is the way that this system is supposed to work, someone gets hurt and someone else comes in and does their job..

He did exceed most of my expectations, and the pass on the sideline was a thing of beauty..

On behalf of all Pats fans, I would like to say thank you to Shane Vereen for stepping up and slicing and dicing up the Texans defense on the way to a breakout game and an integral role in helping our team get to the AFC championship. :rocker:

Haha....Invisible Ninja

I guess he's earned it after stepping up like that.

I became aware of Vereen in his red shirt year at Cal. I thought he was an interesting shifty scat back with the ability to line up wide. Then in 2009, I saw him run 40 or so times for 190+ and 3 touchdowns against Stanford, and I was a true believer. In fact, I signed up on this board, after having been a lurker for years, to post about Vereen in 2011.
Great to see him earn the playing time and then doing something fantastic with his opportunity.

Could he become our Steve Smith? Smith's only 5.9 and not much faster. The kid can catch and was everywhere. Could be the perfect hybrid/rb slot receiver with the explosive ability to be a deep threat.

Nice article by Matt Waldman from May 2012. Some interesting comps in the second paragraph:

Emerging Talents: NE RB Shane Vereen | The Rookie Scouting Portfolio

I wrote in 2011′s Rookie Scouting Portfolio that Shane Vereen has enough physical skill and talent to have a better career than former Cal teammate Jahvid Best. That might seem like an easy task considering that Best has incurred multiple concussions and his long-term career seems more questionable than when he entered the league a top-flight rookie prospect with skills and stylistic similarities that I think is a nice a blend of Marshall Faulk, Reggie Bush and Walter Payton.

And Waldman finishes thus:

I’m not predicting top-tier starter production for Vereen in 2012, but as long as he’s healthy he’ll make a name for himself this season.

Could he become our Steve Smith? Smith's only 5.9 and not much faster. The kid can catch and was everywhere. Could be the perfect hybrid/rb slot receiver with the explosive ability to be a deep threat.

I think he is far more flexible RB than a pure wr like Smith. Smith routinely destroyed good corners. Vereen is usually split out wide on a linebacker, or as Grid would say, a mid fielder. I love Vereen, but I don't see him getting the same separation against corners. No worries though, if a team lines up a corner or safety on Vereen, that opens up delicious opportunities elsewhere.

Is Vereen really just a 4.5 40 guy? He seems faster than that.

Last edited:
He runs a great Wheel route which is something I dont recall seeing much from the Pats over the years.

:mad: Mean Vareen :mad:

Is Vereen really just a 4.5 40 guy? He seems faster than that.
I think 4.5 is about right. He will on occasion get run down from behind. He didn't have huge separation on his deep ball last night against a very average line backer. I think he seems faster because of his quick burst, his foot work and his natural route running. That slant and go was run to perfection.
The quality blitz pick ups are likely even more essential to home seeing continued 25-35 snap games.

I think he is far more flexible RB than a pure wr like Smith. Smith routinely destroyed good corners. Vereen is usually split out wide on a linebacker, or as Grid would say, a mid fielder. I love Vereen, but I don't see him getting the same separation against corners. No worries though, if a team lines up a corner or safety on Vereen, that opens up delicious opportunities elsewhere.

I agree with that, but because of his explosiveness, I can see him as a valuable asset in the slot.

A 4.5-40yd is fine when you're going against MLB who can only run a 5.2 40-yd dash with one arm. I see a lot of wheel routes coming up this week vs Ray-Ray.

Vereen looks plenty fast to me. None of our backs are super fast, but their 0-60 is incredible and they are incredibly decisive with their cuts.

A 4.5-40yd is fine when you're going against MLB who can only run a 5.2 40-yd dash with one arm. I see a lot of wheel routes coming up this week vs Ray-Ray.

Not to mention in our offense the 40 isn't anywhere near as important as your first 5-10-15 yard explosiveness.

On behalf of all Pats fans, I would like to say thank you to Shane Vereen for stepping up and slicing and dicing up the Texans defense on the way to a breakout game and an integral role in helping our team get to the AFC championship. :rocker:

Couldn't have said it better myself ! Great stuff.

One of the things I noticed when I watched highlights of Vereen after we drafted him, was that Cal used to line him up wide like a wide receiver, and he caught several passes like the TD Brady threw to him yesterday (the long one). There are only a handful of NFL RB's who can do that (and have hands as good as Vereen's). I also was excited about the thought of the versatility that Vereen could bring this offense, and yesterday basically showed the world what he can add to our offense. I'm really happy for him, it truly was a breakout game for Vereen.

This offense can be scary for many years going forward, with the RB's we have, TE's we have (I expect Gronk to be the Gronk of 2011 next year), and hopefully some upgrades at WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a gif of him juking Connor Barwin

I wonder if the reason he did so well yesterday was that the Pats were already working on these plays with him and were hoping to use them in a later game as a surprise for their unprepared opponent, but the Gronk and Woody injuries forced them to go to this option sooner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye