PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shanahan on Cassel vs. Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watched his throws and decision making you would be singing a different tune. Tell me Cassel makes that perfect throw to win the game against the Bears last week. He has led his team to 4 wins, thats the only stat that matters.

Winning games is more important than the stat. I believe that the reason Cassel is still around is TB.

TB has 'helped' him preparing the game. When Tom is not around, Cassel sucks.

This is great news. Sounds like the HC isn't worried about the NEP offense when it is led by Cassel. Great. Hopefully the whole team will be spending the week making plans for their vacation bye week instead of studying film.

This is great news. Sounds like the HC isn't worried about the NEP offense when it is led by Cassel. Great. Hopefully the whole team will be spending the week making plans for their vacation bye week instead of studying film.

It's a polite way to say that Cassel SUCKs from another team HC's perspective.

Re: Shanahan on Cassel vs Brady

Brady's contribution to blocking schemes is one thing that MANY on this board forget about. Goes to show that it isn't completely the OLine's fault.

If we shoved O'Connell into the starting position, would he do any better than Cassel in that aspect of the game? Like Shanahan said, I think that our only option right now is to give Cassel more time.

I fixed your quote, as there are a lot of us who understand that, with that said you can't explain away whiffs against a 3 or 4 man front.

And a good call on O'Connell, but you clearly don't understand that O'Connell is the savior and all will be instantly cured by inserting a rookie from San Diego State! I mean haven't you watched Joe Flacco? :D

It's a polite way to say that Cassel SUCKs from another team HC's perspective.

I hope he thinks Cassel sucks. I hope he thinks the whole teams sucks. I hope he spends the entire week looking past the Patriots.

I dunno, but 93 for 161 (57.8%) for 5 TDs and 3 INTs in 6 games--and a QB rating of 82.9--doesn't quite strike me as "tearing up the league."

You clearly need to stop looking up stats and watch more highlights! :cool:

How dare you bring facts into this conversation?

Winning games is more important than the stat. I believe that the reason Cassel is still around is TB.

TB has 'helped' him preparing the game. When Tom is not around, Cassel sucks.

Huh? When TB was around Cassell was on the bench not playing, therefore not able to suck?

I have to ask WTF are you trying to say? :confused:

Matt Ryan was drafted #3 overall in the 1st round. That's a huge difference in expectation between a 7th rounder. Not going to defend Cassel's poor play, but come on you don't expect a 7th rounder to be playing like a 1st rounder do you?

it doesn't matter how he was picked. The fact of the matter is Ryan SCORED more TDs than Cassel. Cassel surrounds with "good and smart" coaches and players and he couldn't do sht. It speaks a lot about his ability.

Last edited:
Huh? When TB was around Cassell was on the bench not playing, therefore not able to suck?

I have to ask WTF are you trying to say? :confused:

TB was in the QB meeting when he was available. Did you not read our rookie QB mention about TB watching film 2 weeks ago?

TB was in the QB meeting when he was available. Did you not read our rookie QB mention about TB watching film 2 weeks ago?

Err yeah, but I would assume that they have watched film together for 4 years now. And there is a huge difference between watching film, practicing and actually going out there and doing it at game speed. Not to mention, Brady isn't on the sidelines or talking to him in his ear during games.

I think the main difference in that Tom Brady is TOM EFFING BRADY, and Cassel is not.

Exactly. We could put Drew Brees back there and people would still ***** just because their expectations for the position are way too high. It's the classic post-HOF quarterback sydrome. We've seen it happen so many times. 49er fans *****ed about Steve Young replacing Joe Montana (even though Young turned out to be awesome), Miami fans *****ed about Jay Fiedler replacing Dan Marino (even though they won games consistently under Fiedler), and Bronco fans *****ed about Brian Griese replacing John Elway. Now, we are *****ing about Cassel replacing Brady when the fact of the matter is that he is not Tom Brady nor is any other QB in the league. And when the time comes to hang 'em up, us and Colts fans will ***** about the guys that replace Brady and Manning no matter of they are good or they suck. It's the nature of beast, unfortunately.

Matt Ryan was drafted #3 overall in the 1st round. That's a huge difference in expectation between a 7th rounder. Not going to defend Cassel's poor play, but come on you don't expect a 7th rounder to be playing like a 1st rounder do you?

You don't expect Ryan to be 4-2 in 6 career starts do you? How often does that happen to a 1st round drafted QB? (rarely)

So by that reasoning, if Cassel was a 1st round pick he should be 5 - 0 right?

No, he expects him to play like the #199 pick in 2000.

No, you said that, not me, nice 3rd girl in pile on though. I don't expect anything from anyone, i watch one game at a time and give my opinions week to week. Hopefully Cassel improves greatly monday night.

darn, that's a great set of quotes, even if he is just saying it so we don't have any lockerroom b-board material...he's a class guy and has been for a long, long time in the league...

and, darn again, it also reminds me of just how great TB was/is and of how completely moronic it is to expect Matt Cassel to fill his shoes after five games...there are maybe a half dozen or so QB's in the entire history of the NFL who could fill his shoes...so, would those who don't have anything good to say about Matt Cassel please just shut up until the offseason when the situation can be addressed rationally and with some real facts...

those of us who defend Matt aren't idiots...some of us know a lot about the game and the League...we can see his limitations but we hope that he can learn to overcome them or compensate for them with time...some of us who defend Cassel today will be the first to say he should go, but after he's had a full and fair chance to show what he can do and certainly not until after the season is over and the dust of emotion has settled...

...if Bill Belichick says he's our best chance to win, that's plenty good enough for me...

Last edited:
Err yeah, but I would assume that they have watched film together for 4 years now. And there is a huge difference between watching film, practicing and actually going out there and doing it at game speed. Not to mention, Brady isn't on the sidelines or talking to him in his ear during games.

TB is still mentoring Cassel. Why don't you ask BB if TB is still "around"? It's something that isn't reported publicly.

It doesn't matter whether you are #1 draft pick or #1000. You expect to perform well. If you are not willing to learn or improve, why do i need to keep you?

I'll choose #1000 draft pick if he works hard and is dependable when needed. Cassel hasn't done anything to convince everybody that he is a "dependable" QB.

Last edited:
darn, that's a great set of quotes, even if he is just saying it so we don't have any lockerroom b-board material...he's a class guy and has been for a long, long time in the league...

and, darn again, it also reminds me of just how great TB was/is and of how completely moronic it is to expect Matt Cassel to fill his shoes after five games...there are maybe a half dozen or so QB's in the entire history of the NFL who could fill his shoes...so, would those who don't have anything good to say about Matt Cassel please just shut up until the offseason when the situation can be addressed rationally and with some real facts...

those of us who defend Matt aren't idiots...some of us know a lot about the game and the League...we can see his limitations but we hope that he can learn to overcome them or compensate for them with time...some of us who defend Cassel today will be the first to say he should go, but after he's had a full and fair chance to show what he can do and certainly not until after the season is over and the dust of emotion has settled...

...if Bill Belichick says he's our best chance to win, that's plenty good enough for me...

How long do you think BB would have waited to replace Bledsoe in 2001 if he wasn't injured? You could argue that BB doesn't know qb's that well because he should have started Brady in the season opener - what the heck was Bledsoe doing in there?

Cassel hasn't done anything to convince everybody that he is a "dependable" QB.
By that standard Brady is still questionable, just ask Pete Prisco.

How long do you think BB would have waited to replace Bledsoe in 2001 if he wasn't injured? You could argue that BB doesn't know qb's that well because he should have started Brady in the season opener - what the heck was Bledsoe doing in there?

Actually BB wanted to start Brady in 2001, his boss Bob Kraft wanted Bledsoe. Golden rule- the one with the gold makes the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back