Welcome to PatsFans.com

SF State Bans Flag Burning....Only for Hezbollah and Hamas Flags

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DeanPatsFan, Dec 6, 2006.

1. DeanPatsFan

DeanPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let me get this right.... The fruity, nutty San Francisco libs say it's ok to burn the American flag or the cross but it's not ok to burn the flag of terrorist organizations?

I can only hope the big one is near and San Francisco slides off into the sea........

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hopefully the students sue and win, the university should butt out. But it's not the CITY of San Fransisco, it's the college. It's a state school and needs to respect the first amendment, but you're barking up the wrong tree by blaming the whole city.

3. DeanPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The vast majority of the city holds the same values these students do.

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If we're gonna start throwing cities into the ocean because of people's values, nobody will be left. It's no doubt hypocritical for a place that prides itself on freedom to restrict freedom that it doesn't like, but is it only the hypocracy that you hate about SF, or is there something inherently wrong with its people?

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Had to search for a while, but finally found a link tieing this to a site... not sure about the American Flag, but that seems unrelated to these actions..the following link gives a better explanation, than what you posted which seems to be from NEWSMAX or a similar site:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/web...on_Against_Desecrating_Terrorist_Symbols&only

Preceding an ongoing investigation into SF State College Republican behavior, the Associated Students board unanimously adopted a resolution condemning the student group for purposely stomping on flags containing the Arabic symbol for God.

“Associated Students, Inc. deems the College Republicans’ actions as contrary to university values and feel they should be held accountable by the university for their actions,†the resolution says.

Amid heavy campus police presence at an Oct. 17 anti-terrorism rally in Malcolm X Plaza, some members of the crowd turned angry when the College Republicans stepped on homemade Hezbollah and Hamas flags, though the student group claims they were not initially aware the flags contained the Arabic symbol for God.

After that, the College Republican-organized rally dissolved into a heated shouting match between the group and a mix of students, including some Muslim students, eventually resulting in formal complaints to student representatives.

‘They were voicing their concerns that this event was even allowed. They were offended,†said Kimberly Castillo, board member and chair of University Affairs, the committee that drafted the resolution. “We felt it our duty to respond.â€

Administrators have been criticized for even allowing the rally to take place.

“The actions on the part of the College Republicans amount to no more than hateful religious intolerance, and constitutes an attempt to defy policies outlined and defined by San Francisco State University’s values,†the resolution says. “Members ... pre-mediated the stomping of the flags knowing it would offend some people and possibly incite violene.â€

6. DeanPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does the word Sodom ring a bell?

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Where I agree that the University's positions are indicative of San Francisco's majority, I have to side with Pujo in his point about differentiating the two. The University is not the City. I'm not in favor of any flag buring amendments or rules. If someone wants to burn one, then let them. I don't think it's ever productive to do so, but idiots will be idiots. Furthermore, who cares what symbol is on the flag, it is still a flag that represents the two groups. Those who burned the flags were not buring islam, they were burning Hamas and Hexbollah as some would burn the USA.

8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fred Phelps...hero of the right wing.

9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

To bad he is a Democrat:bricks:

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sure, I grew up in a religeous home. Something about fire and brimstone destroying Sodom and Gomorrah for the sins of their people. Though unfortunately, I'm not God, so I can't judge what two consenting people do behind closed doors.

11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +268 / 10 / -11

I'm all for stomping on symbols of God and nationalism. Good for those young Republicans.

12. DeanPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Flaunting homosexuality in public is not behind closed doors. Apparently you've ever been to SF or witnessed some of the parades there.

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Anything that's legal for a man and a woman to do in public is legal for two women or two men. I'm not a huge fan of PDA in the first place so I don't particularly care for those parades, but I'm not prude, they don't affect my life in any way, and I just don't care.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +669 / 2 / -9

The best thing America could do is just ignore those Creeps out there in that whacked out "Frisco City" most of them live in cardboard boxes and die before they are forty from liver trouble or AIDS.

15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't know much about the school; but I don't see a problem with fostering a more professional environment. I do know that by and large, state and community colleges are often made up of older students who are less into 'freeing their mind' and more interested in getting an education that will pay cash dividends, and therefore don't approve of major political distractions. So if the school wants to ban ALL flag burning in that context, I think its ok. Its not ok to discriminate against the College Republicans officially; but its still ok to just not invite them to any of the good parties:p

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

San Francisco is a GREAT city. They show lots of guts just being where they are tectonically speaking. I went on my honeymoon there and we had a great time, probably because gay people don't freak us out. The Niners kicked arse for a long time, ant the Irish pubs are awesome there. We went north from there and had the time of our lives. The people there are very cool and really know how to live. I'm a big fan of the right to burn flags, so this move really sucks on the PC scale.

17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +669 / 2 / -9

What would the left wing liberal Media and Hollywood have to say if Bubba Biily Bob Jones from Alabama went down to Provincetown or out to Frisco and Burned the Rainbow Flag?

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, true story: a few years ago a friend of mine, who's gay, was driving through San Fransisco. He's not at all the in-your-face, wants-eveyone-to-know-he's-gay type, but he did have a rainbow sticker on his car. When he put it on, he didn't notice, but he put it on upside down. Well, someone got out of their car at a stoplight and started yelling at him because they thought he was protesting against gays.

19. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He would probably be dead within 5 minutes...