PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF pick final result: #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rules for draft pick order (After Week 13: SF pick #2)

If im not mistaken there are a number of teams sitting at 3-9 right now right? so one win for the niners while the rest of the "worst record" teams losing could swing that pick a couple of spots up ... am i right???

Sadly, you are absolutely right.

Well, all the 3 win teams loss this weekend. Thus 4 still remain.

Here's this weeknds 3 win team's game lineup...

49ers
CIN @ SF (Saturday Night/NFL-N)

Falcons
ATL @ TB

Jets
NYJ @ NE

Rams
GB @ STL

Yeouch. 49ers without a doubt have the best shot of winning this week.

The perfect scenario would be the 49ers and Rats being the only two 3 win teams come next week.

Last edited:
Re: Rules for draft pick order (After Week 14: SF pick #2)

Here's a tough one -- if the Fins keep losing, it could help the Jets w/ SOS.

On the plus side -- if we win, it hurts the Jets' SOS. :)

And Go Bills Go! Every Bill win is a double kick in the teeth to the Jets' SOS.

Fortunately, the Jets' last two games, against the Titans and Chiefs, are both quite winnable ...

Meanwhile, as I've pointed out before, the Niners' last game is against the Browns, who are likely to be competing for a playoff spot. That's huge because of the last-game letdown risk otherwise.

Worst case would be if the Browns have CLINCHED an unshakeable #6 by then, and want to rest. I hope that's unlikely.

It's beginning to look as if the Niners go into Saturday's game with rookie Shaun Hill starting for the first time as QB since Dilfer was injured at the weekend. That probably helps a little. Carson Palmer's in something of an ugly stretch at the moment, and we could really do with him coming alive this weekend.

If im not mistaken there are a number of teams sitting at 3-9 right now right? so one win for the niners while the rest of the "worst record" teams losing could swing that pick a couple of spots up ... am i right???

Alas, yes. The Niners are going to have to work hard to maintain consistency right through the last game.

the 49'ers are 10 point dogs to the Bengals this week. Cinci is a much better team than their record would indicate. They are basically an average team I think.

49ers should be even bigger dogs vs TB, who is an above average team.

ditto for Cleveland, a decent team who may be playing for a playoff seed.

I'd say there is roughly a 50% chance the 49ers lose their remaining 3 games.

so,we are a small favorite to get the #2 pick. if the 49ers win one, I dunno, there are tons of scenarios, but our pick should be around #5 I think

Last edited:

I have a strange feeling that the Rams will win this weekend.

Here's a tough one -- if the Fins keep losing, it could help the Jets w/ SOS.

On the plus side -- if we win, it hurts the Jets' SOS. :)

And Go Bills Go! Every Bill win is a double kick in the teeth to the Jets' SOS.

Fortunately, the Jets' last two games, against the Titans and Chiefs, are both quite winnable ...

Meanwhile, as I've pointed out before, the Niners' last game is against the Browns, who are likely to be competing for a playoff spot. That's huge because of the last-game letdown risk otherwise.

Worst case would be if the Browns have CLINCHED an unshakeable #6 by then, and want to rest. I hope that's unlikely.

The Niners are basically a lock to finish the season with the wrost SOS amoung the teams that are currently 3-10.

The total win/loss records of the opponents of all the teams are as follows:

San Fran 100-108
St. Lou 107-101
Jests 109-99
Atl 108-100

SF and St. Louis are in the same division so they basically have the same exact schedule except two teams, (and this is where StL gets screwed) Whereas San Fran played(s) the Giants and New Orleans, St, Louis had to play Green Bay and Dallas (hence the large gap between their opponents won-loss records. So their is no way that St. Louis can end up with a lower SOS than SF. (because the most it could be is a six game swing either way, and SF has a worst record by 7 games).

Atlanta's division played the NFC West this year, so they have very similar opponents as the Niners, plus they played both the Jags and the Colts, so it is almost impossible for them to wind up with a lowere SOS than the Niners

The Jests are screwed becasue some team in thier division is going 16-0 and they count twice in thier SOS (which basically cancels out the 0-16 of the Phins). But the 7-6 Bills are killing them.

Alas, it's comes true. :mad:

Crumb.

The Jets and Rams have pretty tough matchups today.

And if Tampa Bay isn't a tough matchup for the Falcons, then maybe they won't be next week for the Niners either. :(

any updates.??

any updates.??

All meaningful games have been played. SF is now #5. Thanks, Bungles. :enranged:

More later.

What pick do we have now?

I believe we are out of the top 5 now. Does this mean BB may use the pick rather than Trade down since the top 5 are so expensive?

Re: What pick do we have now?

See above, we are #5 as of today.
Everything is possible, we could decide that the BPA is a probable ProBowler or trade down to pick up more talent... in the Top 100 picks we have like...
#5,#64, #67 and #96 or so.
Maybe LB,CB,Ol,TE

as long as we are w/in top 10, im happy...

5th pick will likely bring you Chris Long, Jake Long, or Vernon Gholston. I'd keep the pick...

Having pick #5 might make things easier to trade down for some serious picks if we so desire.

For example, suppose we have pick #5. By then, the top 5 talent that we'd be interested in (McFadden, Long & Long) are likely gone. By trading down to #10, we can pick up an early 2nd rounder. We can get James Laurenitis or Kenny Phillips at that pick, and accumulate enough pick depth to move back into round 1 if another guy we like falls a little.

Having pick #5 might make things easier to trade down for some serious picks if we so desire.

For example, suppose we have pick #5. By then, the top 5 talent that we'd be interested in (McFadden, Long & Long) are likely gone. By trading down to #10, we can pick up an early 2nd rounder. We can get James Laurenitis or Kenny Phillips at that pick, and accumulate enough pick depth to move back into round 1 if another guy we like falls a little.

Depending on what Laurenitis does in the Bowl game and the combine, I would be thrilled with him at #5, he'd be a great fit for the Pats. Big, fast, mean, young, just what the Pats need. Though, Like most juniors, he hasn't said if he's coming out for the draft yet.

Re: Rules for draft pick order (After Week 15: SF pick #5)

At first (like probably most of you) I was alittle dismayed we dropped from # 2 to (now) # 5... Then I looked up what a drop in salary that probably would mean. Two years ago the # 5 pick cost 25 Million LESS (total contract) than the # 1 and # 2 contracts.....That is alittle more than 4 mill A YEAR difference (for a 6 year contract). So that brightened my day. Do you think there is that much of a talent difference between the # 2 and # 5 pick to justify $ 4 mill a year for 6 years? Makes it easier to stomach the price tag if we use the pick and also easier to trade down if need be. So now thinking about it, maybe a 5-10 pick would be better all in all than a 1-4 pick....:) Greetings from Denmark. (How 'bout them Vikings!)

Re: Rules for draft pick order (After Week 15: SF pick #5)

At first (like probably most of you) I was alittle dismayed we dropped from # 2 to (now) # 5... Then I looked up what a drop in salary that probably would mean. Two years ago the # 5 pick cost 25 Million LESS (total contract) than the # 1 and # 2 contracts.....That is alittle more than 4 mill A YEAR difference (for a 6 year contract). So that brightened my day. Do you think there is that much of a talent difference between the # 2 and # 5 pick to justify $ 4 mill a year for 6 years? Makes it easier to stomach the price tag if we use the pick and also easier to trade down if need be. So now thinking about it, maybe a 5-10 pick would be better all in all than a 1-4 pick....:) Greetings from Denmark. (How 'bout them Vikings!)

I agree completely. I've been rooting for a SF resurgence to give us a high talent, reasonable cap hit Top TEN pick, a pick that also is more tradeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down