PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour: "There's 31 teams I'd consider going to"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear it ****. We're trying to shed high priced dead weight not bring it back.

Wait. He's presently AT one team which can Franchise him. So there are 31 other teams. Period. What's up with that?

a_chance.jpeg

"So you're telling me there's a chance"

just about perfect,kontra

Why is it bush league? That's when the offer came. I'm sure the Patriots would have done the deal in May if it were offered.

Are you really so far into Belichick's pocket that you can't see why it's bush league to trade a top player across the country mere days before the start of the regular season, and either just before, or after, school has started for the kids? This was not some borderline prospect who knew he might get cut or moved and had planned his life accordingly.

Are you really so far into Belichick's pocket that you can't see why it's bush league to trade a top player across the country mere days before the start of the regular season, and either just before, or after, school has started for the kids? This was not some borderline prospect who knew he might get cut or moved and had planned his life accordingly.

In his pocket? Richard Seymour was voted off the island, why? The only concrete reason we can come up with is an injury history. If you wanted to stretch it, they were shifting to the 43 because their new ILB doesn't fit so well in the 34. No matter how you slice it, the timing of the trade garnered the most compensation. Those are just the facts we have to live with. Everything that happened to this team this season. It's a different story completely!

That's a shame. I know the probability of him coming back is in the negatives, but I would love to see him back personally.
Not I. Good riddance!
And I'm still happy with the trade. Having Seymour on the team wouldn't have made much difference.

In his pocket? Richard Seymour was voted off the island, why? The only concrete reason we can come up with is an injury history. If you wanted to stretch it, they were shifting to the 43 because their new ILB doesn't fit so well in the 34. No matter how you slice it, the timing of the trade garnered the most compensation. Those are just the facts we have to live with. Everything that happened to this team this season. It's a different story completely!

Yeah, all the crap moves Belichick made this season really paid off, so let's give him a pass on acting bush league while we're pretending his we perfect all year long..... :rolleyes:

Awww poor baby. That's life. It's not bush league, it's the nature of the business. Choose a different career if guaranteed a job location is requirement for you. We all know you hated the trade but you really need to get over it. I mean really.

How is that bush league? You're offered a good deal, you take it. Richard is a millionaire. don't tell me about his kids. He has choices.

Yeah, all the crap moves Belichick made this season really paid off, so let's give him a pass on acting bush league while we're pretending his we perfect all year long..... :rolleyes:

Nah, let's just ***** about everything that went wrong in hindsight and act as if poor results proves poor decisions.

Last edited:

As it should be obvious to EVERYONE, the move won't pay off until 2011 when we pick at #5 slot of the first round, and Richard Seymour is long gone from his contract with the Patriots. This much we all know, and it's not a mystery. Unless someone can make a good case that Seymour would have helped this team to a Super Bowl victory, then it was a good deal. Here's what's not a good deal by Belichick: not signing Deion Branch, because with Deion Branch, the Patriots win the 2006 Super Bowl and maybe the 2007 Super Bowl.

There, see the difference?

Sadly, I would bet the farm that Seymour is a Jet next year.

Worked out well in the Milloy case... And after Buffalo was through with him he moved on to Atlanta and finally across country to Seattle to squeeze every last nickle out of his career. He didn't really care about school or anything, he just wanted his paycheck...

You must live in some alternate universe where regular folks who don't make six let alone seven figures get laid off on Christmas and no one cares because it's a business. As Richard so often reminded us when it suited him. Belichick came up through the coaching ranks where guys making five figures get pink slips every year right around Christmas time usually because some other guys making six and seven figures didn't do their freakin' job.

The beauty of the NFL has always been if guys don't do their job they lose it. Maybe if Richard had been a better leader and found a way to contribute more after he held them hostage for his $30M deal he'd still have a job here. He may yet learn a lesson when he finds out there aren't 31 other teams interested in paying him nearly as much as we did. Or trading anything approaching what Belichick got for him for the priviledge.

When asked if he would accept a call from the Pats if they approached him about coming back, he said, "That isn't something I'm looking to do at all."

I wouldn't worry about it, Big Sey. That call won't be coming.

Loved you for years. Thanks for all your play, and thanks for getting us a first round pick to replace you, but your time here is done. Hope to see you in the Patriots Hall of Fame.
Author!
applause.gif

Trading a guy on Sept. 6th when you get an offer you think is awesome is not bush league, but business in the NFL. And business in a lot of other companies. People can argue whether or not it was a good deal (and half the board has haha), but it's not BB's responsibility to worry about Seymour's kids in school.

That said, if things went down the way RS says they did, I do think that's "uncool". Finding out the way he did shows a pretty big lack of respect in my mind, and I don't think RS ever did anything to deserve it.

Good interview with Richard Seymour. Enjoyed it for his frankness on various issues and his analysis of the state of the team, their play yesterday and contract issues and management choices.

There is no doubt that the manner with which Seymour's trade went down was upsetting to all parties involved and to us fans, too. The Kraft management goal is to field a competitive football team every year. To achieve this (on the defensive side of the team) Management has gone about it deliberately by shedding aging leadership this year (Vrable's trade, forced retirement of Bruschi and volunary retirement of Rodney) and infushing youth in the secondary. Rebuilding the front 7 is the next task. Seymour wasnt going to be a part of that plan. The first roundertrade was god sent.

I think this defense gets completely rebuilt by 2011 season, giving us about 3 years of very good performance. I am hoping for 2 dominant years in the next 5 years.

BTW: from a player's perspective - you have to always take the money (esp. if you have already won championship(s). Playing careers are too short and a player has to always be aware of his earning power.That's why I have no will towards Seymour, Assante, Givens or anybody else.

Last edited:
Trading a guy on Sept. 6th when you get an offer you think is awesome is not bush league, but business in the NFL. And business in a lot of other companies. People can argue whether or not it was a good deal (and half the board has haha), but it's not BB's responsibility to worry about Seymour's kids in school.

That said, if things went down the way RS says they did, I do think that's "uncool". Finding out the way he did shows a pretty big lack of respect in my mind, and I don't think RS ever did anything to deserve it.

I'm sure that BB was much more interested in getting the deal done ASAP so that Al Davis wouldn't change his feeble mind.

I had to move from Rhode Island to Hong Kong on short notice in the middle of the school year (I have 3 kids), and I don't make much more money than Seymour does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes