PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour said it best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePatsFan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I know it was a long time ago; but Brady just had to manage the game when he came in for Drew, it got better than that as the season went on, I really hope McDaniels gives Cassel the chance to do the same.

We have a good defense to rely on scale back the offense, pound the rock and protect our new QB.

Last edited:
I know it was a long time ago; but Brady just had to manage the game when he came in for Drew, it got better than that as the season went on, but I hope McDaniels gives Cassel the chance to the same.

We have a good defense to rely on scale back the offense, pound the rock and protect our new QB.

I somewhat agree. Our defense still really concerns me but IMO our running game is alot better than it was back then.

I know it was a long time ago; but Brady just had to manage the game when he came in for Drew, it got better than that as the season went on, but I hope McDaniels gives Cassel the chance to the same.

We don't have to scale back the offense much for Cassel - that's the beauty of the thing that is lost on so many here. For O'Connell (or Simms or Rattay or anyone else we may sign) we have to scale it back (or dumb it down) exponentially.

That 51 yard strike to Moss out of the EZ yesterday was the result of a read and react adjustment where the WR and QB both saw the same thing and reacted as they should. As Randy said, they were on the same page as they should be. Nobody else will have the time or reps this season to remotely locate that page.

I know it was a long time ago; but Brady just had to manage the game when he came in for Drew, it got better than that as the season went on, I really hope McDaniels gives Cassel the chance to do the same.

Totally agree. I personally think this D is a lot better than anyone realizes. If we can stay healthy (big if, of course), I love the speed and depth. This defense, unlike our past defenses, is built on speed and talent rather than experience and smarts. Speed allows our guys to make up for the occasional stupid mistakes...exhibit A: O'Neal catching Darling at the 5 yard line yesterday. Now if only we can teach James Sanders that being the last line of defense means don't let anyone behind you we'd be all set :D
Regardless of the QB, the talent IS there on this team. No way in hell do we blow anyone out this year, but does anyone remember 2003? Hell, we were beating teams like Houston only by 3. Maybe Brady was the difference between winning by 3 and 23, but if we can still win, who cares what the score is?

I somewhat agree. Our defense still really concerns me but IMO our running game is alot better than it was back then.

I think we might have our best front 7 since Belichick took over the team. If the secondary can play adequately . If we lose a LB we might be in trouble though.

We don't have to scale back the offense much for Cassel - that's the beauty of the thing that is lost on so many here. For O'Connell (or Simms or Rattay or anyone else we may sign) we have to scale it back (or dumb it down) exponentially.

That 51 yard strike to Moss out of the EZ yesterday was the result of a read and react adjustment where the WR and QB both saw the same thing and reacted as they should. As Randy said, they were on the same page as they should be. Nobody else will have the time or reps this season to remotely locate that page.

Well I guess what I ment by scaling back our offense is being more conventional and getting the rushing/passing attempts more balanced.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I personally think this D is a lot better than anyone realizes. If we can stay healthy (big if, of course), I love the speed and depth. This defense, unlike our past defenses, is built on speed and talent rather than experience and smarts. Speed allows our guys to make up for the occasional stupid mistakes...exhibit A: O'Neal catching Darling at the 5 yard line yesterday. Now if only we can teach James Sanders that being the last line of defense means don't let anyone behind you we'd be all set :D
Regardless of the QB, the talent IS there on this team. No way in hell do we blow anyone out this year, but does anyone remember 2003? Hell, we were beating teams like Houston only by 3. Maybe Brady was the difference between winning by 3 and 23, but if we can still win, who cares what the score is?

Kind of Ironic that in a post where you are noting that speed and talent can make up for a mental mistake but than you point out that if the mental mistake hadn't happended the speed and talent would not have been needed in that instance.

Seems simple to me and this has been the philosohpy of BB for years don't make the mistake. Smart football is better football. This is why I am so high on Mayo, he is very smart for a rookie and he has the speed.

It concerns me that Seymour was stopped cold by the Rookie LT... The old Richard would have eaten him up..

It concerns me that Seymour was stopped cold by the Rookie LT... The old Richard would have eaten him up..

Really? When I watched the game I distinctly remember Seymour pressuring Croyle several times - he didn't notch a sack but he did hit him as he threw the ball a couple times, causing the ball to be inaccurate, and beyond that he hurried him all day long.

I thought Seymour played great - the best he's looked on opening day in a while.

Seymour got the stop on the run play on 2nd/goal from the 5.

Anyway I think Gene Kranz, or some writer, said it best, in Apollo 13:

NASA Director: This could be the worst disaster NASA's ever faced.

Gene Kranz: With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

People think that since Cassel had not played in college he has no chance. It merely provided an opportunity for him to come to the Patriots, as a plattoning system brought Brady in too.

Frankly, I would trade four seasons on the bench learning QB play, with Belichick, Weis, Josh, Brady and Testaverde, for a season or two of college play.

Don't forget he was coached by Pete Carroll and the USC national champion, ex-pro coaches, for four years, even if he didn't play. That was invaluable expereince, and frankly better than if he had run the wishbone, somewhere else.

He was highly recruited and competed (and lost) against two Heismen players. (And a NFL MVP). According to Carroll he didn't lose out by much.

As a rookie QB under Belichick he wasn't ready, and was further behind than O'Connell is today. But four years later he is obviously ready, understands the Offensive playbook, and recognizes Defenses, and makes adjustments. Moss made testimony to that point.

It was confiermed by Belichick's actions in choosing him, for the roster. And even more so by selecting him to do the dirty work in preseason, even if it insured lots of criticism of Matt.

He will not be, at the end of the season, the same QB he is today. Whether the Pats can win enough to make the Tournement we shall see. But I would not discount the Pats chances in the Playoffs, if Cassel guides them there.

Meanwhile each week will be an adventure to see if the Patriots can be victorious. Isn't that why we go to the games in the first place? ;)

Agreed, and save a tackle by the safety, Moss would have been gone for 6. Cassell hit him in stride....good looking pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back