PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour, Raiders strike 2-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy money. No wonder BB shipped him as he was not going to get that type of financial commitment here.

Richard Seymour, Raiders agree to terms on two-year deal - NFL - SI.com

Richard Seymour said late last season he wanted to retire as a Raider. The 31-year-old Pro Bowl defensive tackle took a step in that direction Wednesday when he agreed to terms on a two-year, potential $30 million deal that includes $22.5 million in guarantees, according to a league source.

Seymour, who is entering his 11th season, is expected to receive $15 million each of the next two years, including a guaranteed $7.5 million bonus in 2012. His signing was critical for the Raiders not only because it locked up a talented player and locker-room leader, but also because it gives them the option of using the franchise tag on free-agent tight end Zach Miller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT: Seymour, Raiders strike 2-year deal

Holy crap @ that money.

I wonder how they afford it all with paying asomugha huge money too.

LaCanfora's currently reporting it as a 4-year deal

Last edited:

Good, he won't be a jet or a dolphin.

I wonder how they afford it all with paying asomugha huge money too.

Asomugha is a 2011 UFA after his deal voids out. Better to admit you did an unmanageable deal with him than admit you traded too much for a 2 year DE rental, in Al's world anyway...

Will be interesting to see what Seymour's deal actually does entail. Believe nothing of the first reporters, as usual.

Had they franchised him, he would have gotten more. He had all the leverage.

And this is why the Raiders are terrible. This says it all:

Richard Seymour helped lead the Raiders to a surprising 8-8 record last season.

Last edited:

Bad teams have to overpay to keep good players sometimes. They overpaid by more than they should have, but defense is that team's strength, and Seymour is their defensive leader, so I guess he decided that Seymour was more important than Asomugha. That was a crazy payday, though. I doubt even Seymour expected to get that much initially.

Last edited:

If Seymour is getting $15 million a year, it is good the Pats didn't resign him (although he would have probably signed for slightly less a year or two ago).

If he is happy, I am happy for him. I don't hold any ill will towards the guy.

Personally, if I was him, I would have taken less to go to a contender. Eventhough the Raiders seemed to start to head towards the right direction last year, who knows if that was a freak occurance. With a new coach, they could step back this year.

im guessing the ravens are not to happy about this cause now Haloti Ngata, is going to want at lest 12 or 13 million to sign a long term deal

im guessing the ravens are not to happy about this cause now Haloti Ngata, is going to want at lest 12 or 13 million to sign a long term deal

If Seymour truly got $15 million a year, Ngata is going to want far more than $12-13 million a year. Right now because of age and production, Ngata is worth more than Seymour.

I can only assume it's the money that's making him want to stay there. Not that I'm one of those homers who believes anyone who ever played for NE is nutz to want to play anywhere else, but why would anyone who had a choice want to stay in Oakland, maybe even end their career there?

If Seymour truly got $15 million a year, Ngata is going to want far more than $12-13 million a year. Right now because of age and production, Ngata is worth more than Seymour.

Bingo.

At this point Ngata > Seymour.

So much for my pipe dream of getting Ngata for Wilfork money. :p

Bingo.

At this point Ngata > Seymour.

So much for my pipe dream of getting Ngata for Wilfork money. :p

cept ngata would be a NT in a 3-4 , not a DT which seymour is (a DT in a 4-3, a DE in a 3-4)

can't compare the two really

Last edited:

****ie Seymour is a great player, I never much liked the trade (even before seeing that the yield would only be a 17) and I wish him well.

But that's a redunkulous overpay. When did he hire Scott Boras to be his agent?

cept ngata would be a NT in a 3-4 , not a DT which seymour is (a DT in a 4-3, a DE in a 3-4)

Not the case anymore actually. Gregg has manned the nose and they have moved Ngata to 3-4 DE.

Ngata plays DE in Baltimore's 3-4, and Seymour could play the 3-4 NT if required. He has the strength to do it; it would just be a waste of his height, length and athleticism. IMO Ngata and Seymour are plenty comparable, in that they're two of the only examples of the rare type of player who can play any position on a 3-4 line.

Last edited:

Dude got his rings and now his family could be set for generations. Good for him.

Al Davis sure is doing his best to warp the salary structure for the high end.

Good on Seymour for cashing in. I would have loved him to stay at Patriots player but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots