PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour on PUP, out for first 6 weeks of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing how dominant the DL was all camp without him (hell without him and Warren they were still dominant) I tend to think they are being overly conservative.

With Warren Wilfork and Green to start, they certainly didn't look like they will miss him. The real risk for this team right now is Wilfork. If he's healthy, the entire line plays great.

Why mess with the franchise at this point by rushing it?

Take your time Big Sey!

Possibly, and just so I don't sound reactionary, I am still very happy with our defensive line. It's times like these that make you thankful that we have a stud like Jarvis Green laying around waiting to step in full time. It's just frustrating to see Seymour injured all the time. Hopefully he comes back and tears it up like he usually does after he gets healthy.

I can't say that I am all that surprised.

Seymour is a freaking china doll. At least we won't have to watch Marcus McNeil embarrass him on National TV again.

This is just ridiculous. Seymour is one of our best defensive players if not the best. We are better when he plays and if you don't realize it then you are on crack.

This is just ridiculous. Seymour is one of our best defensive players if not the best. We are better when he plays and if you don't realize it then you are on crack.

The two statements I made are factually correct. Seymour is a china doll (parcel is fragile, breaks easily) and Marcus McNeil, a rookie, manhandled him on National TV in the playoffs. When the Seymour of 2003 returns, I'll be the happiest man on the board. Until then, I don't feel like living in the land of make believe.

The two statements I made are factually correct. Seymour is a china doll (parcel is fragile, breaks easily) and Marcus McNeil, a rookie, manhandled him on National TV in the playoffs. When the Seymour of 2003 returns, I'll be the happiest man on the board. Until then, I don't feel like living in the land of make believe.

I must say, I agree. The guy makes a ton of money and is always hurt.

Yeah, you're right, Seymour has been nothing since 2003. He's been so bad that the Patriots signed gim to an extension making him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league after the 2005 season. Obviously Pioli and Belichick have no idea what they are doing.

Whatever :rolleyes: .

He does have injury issues. No one is denying this. But he is still an excellent player who has played an integral role in every Patriots championship team is probably going to the Hall of Fame some day.

Last edited:
Frankly I was a little surprised they extended him when they did until I began to think about why they did it for just 3 years. That cut his 4 year cost to $8M per for what should be his best years at a posiiton where the elite big boys will be averaging double digits over the next 3-4 seasons. Somehow I don't think they have any illusions about Richard aging gracefully or playing effectively through injuries. He's a mega-talent, but one who has to be 100% to be really effective, and he seldom seems to be 100% any more just 6 years into what reasonably projected to be a 12+ year HOF career on a team this successful.

Hopefully this is enough time so he is in great shape for the playoff run, he was pretty banged up last season, i'd rather have him sit out the first 6 then be playing at 50% through the playoffs.

he had knee surgery

thats probably keeping him back

i was hoping he stays active but at least comes back game 2-3 but no :(

Exactly. A knee injury that he sustained last year and played through..Its one of the reasons that he was "embarrassed" on National TV.

Exactly. A knee injury that he sustained last year and played through..Its one of the reasons that he was "embarrassed" on National TV.
for a guy that is touted as much as him, i cant remember a loy of plays he makes, not many sacks and qb pressures, i know hes a run stuffer 2 gapper ,but with the dough we pay him he should be more dynamic, heck belicheck benched at the home jets game last year

Yeah, you're right, Seymour has been nothing since 2003. He's been so bad that the Patriots signed gim to an extension making him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league after the 2005 season. Obviously Pioli and Belichick have no idea what they are doing.

Whatever :rolleyes: .

He does have injury issues. No one is denying this. But he is still an excellent player who has played an integral role in every Patriots championship team is probably going to the Hall of Fame some day.

Wow, how is that Kool Aid? HOF player? Yea, okay, maybe in Crazytown, but in the real world, no. The NFL HOF is not MLB. Very good players do not get in, very good players who are oft injured do not ever get in. And your comments about Pilo and Belichick are hilarious. Clearly they can never do any wrong, and making an oft injured DE one of "the highest paid defensive players in the league" is a super move just because they made it. If this guy was on the Jets, people would be commenting about how soft he is. I don't see anyone in this thread saying he shouldn't have been signed, or that he is a bas player, so your point is doubly foolish and irrelevant. If you deny that he is an injury concern that has trouble staying on the field, then you obviously do not watch the games.

Wow, how is that Kool Aid? HOF player? Yea, okay, maybe in Crazytown, but in the real world, no. The NFL HOF is not MLB. Very good players do not get in, very good players who are oft injured do not ever get in. And your comments about Pilo and Belichick are hilarious. Clearly they can never do any wrong, and making an oft injured DE one of "the highest paid defensive players in the league" is a super move just because they made it. If this guy was on the Jets, people would be commenting about how soft he is. I don't see anyone in this thread saying he shouldn't have been signed, or that he is a bas player, so your point is doubly foolish and irrelevant. If you deny that he is an injury concern that has trouble staying on the field, then you obviously do not watch the games.

If Seymour uses this time to get back to his "dominant" self - think 2003 and 2004 - and plays for another 5-6 years, there is no way that he *won't* be in the HOF.

Personally, I think that this move was predicated on a few things:

1) The AFCCG when the team went in beat up and just fell apart. BB is doing everything he can to ensure that the team can be healthy for the playoffs because....
2) I think BB looks at this team as a surefire playoff team unless Brady goes down. He knows that the Pats will likely win the AFCE even without Seymour, so why not let him get his feet under him again.
3) LeKevin Smith's showing at DE. I am not sure if BB would have been willing to use PUP if Green and Wright were the only other options available. Smith has proven to be a capable backup, IMHO and that gives NE the flexibility to just shelve Big Sey so there is no pressure to get him back in there.

Last edited:
Wow, how is that Kool Aid? HOF player? Yea, okay, maybe in Crazytown, but in the real world, no. The NFL HOF is not MLB. Very good players do not get in, very good players who are oft injured do not ever get in.

Hmmmm....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=halloffame/nfl1-10

6. Richard Seymour

Seymour has been a defensive stalwart on the Patriots' three Super Bowl championship teams, and dynasties send multiple players to Canton. The Steelers' championship teams of the 1970s had nine future Hall of Famers, so it's reasonable to assume the Patriots will get more players than just Brady into the Hall. Seymour will be one of them. He's been named to the Pro Bowl five consecutive times -- every season except his rookie year -- and earned All-Pro honors from 2003 to '05. Seymour has played in all but nine of New England's games since being drafted sixth overall in 2001.

I agree with this but also think he played last year with a bum wing and tried to play through it. I can't wait until he comes back to see him, Warren, Wilfork go get em. Seymour has not played yet with any DLs that are even close to the new and improved Warren and the slim (325+) Wilfork.

That being said, big trades in the NFL never happen but after this year I would consider trading Seymour (once Wilfork is locked up). On reputation alone you would be able to get at least 2 #1 picks and he is free agent after 2009.

Just think of the team we are adding after weeks 4, 6+
- Seymour, Harrison, Troy Brown maybe Chad Jackson (if healthy he is much better than Washington) and don't forget Eddie Jackson (for my man psychoPat )

Last edited:
Richard's job is not to be a sack machine in this defense. His job is to take on double and triple teams and control the line of scrimage. This is a two gap 3-4. Even the Chargers play a 1 gap so they can pressure more because all they need to do is penetrate through that single gap. Richard is responsible for two gaps. There is a hug difference. Try taking on 900 pounds of linemen and disrupting the play at the same time. That's why he is effective and probably hurt fairly often lately. Put him in the Charger's defense and he would easily be a double digit sack leader at the expense of the run defense.

Wowza...I thought I was on the Jets message board for a minute. Criticizing Seymour? I think we'll be OK for 6 weeks without him but we are much better with him when he is ready to play. Vince Wilfork give Richard all the credit each time I hear him speaks. He says the double teams and attention Richard draws frees up the other guys.

I say today is "Bash Rodney Day" and "Cut Seymour some Slack Day".

Wow Seymour plays hurt last year and is not ready to go this year for the first game. Be thankful that he isn't on IR. If Teddy Bruschi thinks Richard Seymour is a special payer than thats good enough for me. Enough with the *****ing about him being soft. We have Jarvis Green for heavens sake why not let him play half the year and then let Seymour play when he is ready.

If Big Sey would just get off his high horse and take the HGH he'd be back alot quicker, d%#*!@t.

(Just kidding)

If Seymour uses this time to get back to his "dominant" self - think 2003 and 2004 - and plays for another 5-6 years, there is no way that he *won't* be in the HOF.

Personally, I think that this move was predicated on a few things:

1) The AFCCG when the team went in beat up and just fell apart. BB is doing everything he can to ensure that the team can be healthy for the playoffs because....
2) I think BB looks at this team as a surefire playoff team unless Brady goes down. He knows that the Pats will likely win the AFCE even without Seymour, so why not let him get his feet under him again.
3) LeKevin Smith's showing at DE. I am not sure if BB would have been willing to use PUP if Green and Wright were the only other options available. Smith has proven to be a capable backup, IMHO and that gives NE the flexibility to just shelve Big Sey so there is no pressure to get him back in there.
I would bet my last dollar that BB isn't thinking that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes