PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour is going to want HUGE money now

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsSteve1 said:
If I were Seymour I'd expect big bucks, too. Big double digit bonus, mayeb they can split that, and nice, escalating salaries. I figure it's 50-50 the Pats resign him. The sooner the better though. If he hits FA somebody is going to go overboard.

The thing to do might be a split-bonus deal, yeah; something similarly structured to my suggested contract in the first three years ($20m up front, salaries of $3/4/4) with a year-three team option bonus (maybe $12m?) to trigger five more years at salaries of $6m a piece with two years at, say $7m, $11m being the result of the team not taking up the option (the last'd be fictional, obviously).

That works out as either theoretically $48m/5 years (in practice $37m/4 years with a $4m cap charge in year five, so only $33m chargeable in the first four years - $8.25m a season) or a stated headline of eight years, $72m ($9m a season) - $32m of that in bonuses.

Covert's plan sounds reasonable, but another issue may arise in trying to sign Seymour. Is being the highest paid DL all he wants? It may well be that he would prefer to play for a team that uses the 4-3 predominantly. 2-gapping is a tough way to make your career and practically precludes a player from HOF consideration, due to the lack of stats. Consider Fred Smerlas, now considered a laughable radio Pats homeboy, he was a stud nose tackle who was a 6-7 time ProBowler. Not a sniff for the HOF. Infact, no nose tackle is in the HOF. Sey's dominance on the field should make him a shoe-in, but playing in BB's 2-gap system isn't going to help.

jczxohn1 said:
Covert's plan sounds reasonable, but another issue may arise in trying to sign Seymour. Is being the highest paid DL all he wants? It may well be that he would prefer to play for a team that uses the 4-3 predominantly. 2-gapping is a tough way to make your career and practically precludes a player from HOF consideration, due to the lack of stats. Consider Fred Smerlas, now considered a laughable radio Pats homeboy, he was a stud nose tackle who was a 6-7 time ProBowler. Not a sniff for the HOF. Infact, no nose tackle is in the HOF. Sey's dominance on the field should make him a shoe-in, but playing in BB's 2-gap system isn't going to help.

Good points regarding stats, but if you look at the HOF guys, having several rings helps a bit too. Gets ya noticed.

You use Smerlas, a nose tackle as an example why Seymour won't get any HOF consideration?

Freddy was a very good player but Seymour is league wide recognized as one of the top three D lineman in all football and plays anywhere on the line...if he stays healthy he's more than well on his way to the hall.

PatsSteve1 said:
If I were Seymour I'd expect big bucks, too. Big double digit bonus, mayeb they can split that, and nice, escalating salaries. I figure it's 50-50 the Pats resign him. The sooner the better though. If he hits FA somebody is going to go overboard.

We have money, we will spend it wisely. Just as we keep Brady, we will keep Seymour, Branch and all other key members of the special nucleous that brings Superbowls our way.

Mark my words, we are not cheap, we are smart.

Last edited:
who practices a week before the Denver game a play to take the safety just in case it means we get a chance to win at the end...which we did...do you remember that game? Do you remember the absolute shock and awe nationwide at BB's unquestioned coaching strategy?

We are a smart team....or maybe everybody would rather have Pete the Cleaner come back and "clean things up" like he did post Parcells

Joker said:
You use Smerlas, a nose tackle as an example why Seymour won't get any HOF consideration?

Freddy was a very good player but Seymour is league wide recognized as one of the top three D lineman in all football and plays anywhere on the line...if he stays healthy he's more than well on his way to the hall.
6-7 ProBowls would indicate that he was the dominant player at his position for a considerable time. The real point was that there are no nose tackles, i.e.,2-gap players, in the HOF.

Incidentally, there are no 3-4 ILB's in it, either.

Last edited:
I see the contract situation with Seymour playing out like Orlando Pace in St. Louis. We probably can't ink him long term, but there's no way he hits an open market. Seymour will get franchised, maybe even twice, trade rumors will swirl all over, but we'll eventually keep him around here as long as he's the game's best.

Now I'm wondering how the Pats will wangle a trade up to the top five for a shot at either Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata....... :p

Box_O_Rocks said:
Now I'm wondering how the Pats will wangle a trade up to the top five for a shot at either Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata....... :p

They would have to include Seymour in the trade. :eek:

smg93 said:
They would have to include Seymour in the trade. :eek:
Not necessarily, if those teams want extra draft picks they may settle for 21 this year and 32 next year to build their clubs. :D With the new CBA limiting rookie contracts to 6 years for the 1st fifteen and 5 years for the second 15, it might be worth it to land a Ngata for 6 years at top 5 money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back