PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour is going to want HUGE money now

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Look at the money DL are getting right now. Kemoeatu: 5 year, 23 million; Pryce: 5 year, 25 million; Warren: 6 million a year

I don't think there's any way we pony up 7+ million a year for Seymour next year... so this beg the question, could we actually draft DL first round?

drew4008 said:
Look at the money DL are getting right now. Kemoeatu: 5 year, 23 million; Pryce: 5 year, 25 million; Warren: 6 million a year

I don't think there's any way we pony up 7+ million a year for Seymour next year... so this beg the question, could we actually draft DL first round?

Seymour rightfully has the talent and dedication to ask for top 5 or even the top money. But i wouldn'trule out that we won't resign him. He has age and tremendous experience on his side. No other lineman his age can boast his playoff experience.

The 3 players above don't have Seymour's experience or skill...I see us paying 7 million or @$35 - $50 million for 5-7 years of Seymour easily.

I posted earlier on my ever have a feeling dream sequence that I have the feeling the pats are going to surprise everyone with a DL in the first round. Realistically though, they might draft one in the top 3 rds. You never rule anything out with these guys. They are always planning for the future.

drew4008 said:

Hey Drew, no offense, but Seymour was looking at big money to begin with. Most people were saying 7-8 mill a year.

I think the pats will ink seymour. I remember reading somewhere that Kraft was just waiting for the CBA to be completed.

Hard to see Big Sey signing for less than Hutchinson. 7.5M PER
at least for the big man. Cap 48m more in 07 than 01. He's worth it.
Let's extend him this summer along with Branch. If we let them go
into 06 unsigned, we will only have about 2-3 weeks after the
Super Bowl to extend them until they hit the open market.

If we can't reach a long term deal with him, we can franchise tag him. We have this years FA's and draft to be concerned about rightnow.

I have no issues giving Sey 7 mil right now, for 7 years, that will seem like nothing by the end of that contract.

drew4008 said:

Were we to do so, I hope we'd have better luck than when we pissed away a 2nd pick on DL of the future, Hill.

I think our FA inactive positioning is such that we will make a strong push to sign Big Sey and The Twig with our cap money.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Were we to do so, I hope we'd have better luck than when we pissed away a 2nd pick on DL of the future, Hill.

I think our FA inactive positioning is such that we will make a strong push to sign Big Sey and The Twig with our cap money.

PWP - Nice way to not give the kid a chance. Doesn't matter that he is still only 23, you've got him labeled as a bust already. Guess you got your pre-cog hat working and can see the future, right?

So tell us, how much do they sign Seymour and Branch for?

DaBruinz said:
PWP - Nice way to not give the kid a chance. Doesn't matter that he is still only 23, you've got him labeled as a bust already. Guess you got your pre-cog hat working and can see the future, right?

I dunno specifics on the 2nd question, but I've watched and commented previously on Hill's play in pre-season and noticed the limited reps he's gotten in the regular season. He OFTEN takes plays off. He does NOT pursue across the field like other successful Pats players. These are not skills, they're attitudes. Think - there's a reason he's inactive most games and it's not just that he's the worst DL we have (Klecko excepted).

DaBruinz said:

Hill was drafted as a project. Too much talent not to. I did see some improvement in his play toward the end of this year. But, this will be the year that he needs to step up his game or he could be a bust.

PATSNUTme said:
Hill was drafted as a project. Too much talent not to. I did see some improvement in his play toward the end of this year. But, this will be the year that he needs to step up his game or he could be a bust.

And the only busts I want to see are on the NEP Cheerleaders!

(do not fwd post to wife)

PATSNUTme said:

Well, as I pointed out, he actually got some important playing time in the play-offs, particularly against Denver. He was in on the goal-line stands and he did very well at holding his block and not getting pushed back off the line. I think that we will see more of Hill this coming year.

Ok, I'll bite. Why wouldn't the pats pay $7-8M a year for Seymour? You'd rather have a draft pick than the best 3-4 DL in the league?

drew4008 said:

It's the cost of doing business in the NFL. Seymour is the best, he'll be paid top dollar by the pats. So it goes....... :rocker:

DaBruinz said:
Well, as I pointed out, he actually got some important playing time in the play-offs, particularly against Denver. He was in on the goal-line stands and he did very well at holding his block and not getting pushed back off the line. I think that we will see more of Hill this coming year.

His major asset is he's a big boy and hard to move. Does not play well in space like a DE must.

Please remember this when Hill plays well this year and enjoy making fun of me as punishment for my premature ejaculation on busts. Maybe I should re-word that but you get the idea. I hope to be wrong, but doubt it.

id just franchise him and make someone give us two firsts if they want him bad enough..

maybe brady can rub off some of his money thinkin on seymour..

Hi, ex-Usenet folks; still lurking here, still nice to see familiar names.

Anyway, to business - Seymour? IIRC, and Miguel will correct me, you can only prorate bonuses for five years under the new CBA.

I reckon we're looking at $42m over five years, front-loaded - $20m up front, salaries of 3/4/4/5/6 or thereabouts - leading to cap hits of 7/8/8/9/10m. If he'll sign that, I think the Pats are happy with that - by the end of that period, the cap will be at 130m plus. If his play drops off, he becomes a reasonable June 1 cut in year four - $4m hits in years four and five, cap saving of $5m. There's nothing to stop it being a longer deal to increase the headline numbers - put two 10.5m seasons on the end and you have a $63m/seven year "$9m/year" contract. We can afford that given the severely undermarket contracts our key linebackers are currently on (though it'll hurt when Bruschi goes, he should be on about 50% more to be at market rate).

He might well want more than that, though, in which case who knows what'll happen - a franchise tag, probably.

Branch is going to want substantially more than the contract Randel El just inked in Washington, which was $31m/7 years (voidable after six) with $11.5m bonus - sucks, because I wanted him on the pats but not for that kind of money.

I think for Branch we're looking at $35m over six years at least, $15m up front, and I don't think he's worth that. This is a good year to go WR shopping in the draft; everyone thinks the class sucks, but what can you read into that given WR's such a bustworthy position in the draft anyway? Everyone goes on about how bad Bethel Johnson is, and he is a disappointment, but he's probably statistically not much worse than an average second-round WR when you factor in his value as a returner.

If I were Seymour I'd expect big bucks, too. Big double digit bonus, mayeb they can split that, and nice, escalating salaries. I figure it's 50-50 the Pats resign him. The sooner the better though. If he hits FA somebody is going to go overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes