PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour introduced but Al Davis steals the show

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were an NFL owner at the bottom half of the league and I was offered the chance to trade all my players for one season for all the Raiders players, I would.

I guess I'm saying they have a lot of good talent on the Raiders. Too bad their coaching/GM situation is all screwed up.

I could see our #1 choice being worth less than we hoped IF the Raiders get their act together. If I had the players on that team, I would begin by cutting bait with Jamarcus Russell. But you still have McFadden, decent WRs, and a defense with good players at key positions.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't surprise me if we're picking at #16 in 2011.

I took it differently, mocking the media for making it seem that only he ( Davis) had control over day to day matters. He was tweeking them saying essentially, "see Kraft does it also and Belichick has to answer to him"..

Oh.

Yeah but still, Kraft doesn't mess with the playbook or anything like Davis. Course I suppose telling you guys that I'm preaching to the choir anyhow. ;)

The latest entry on the Extra Points blog right now is very interesting. In the Al Davis interview, he says that Belichick straight up asked him if he was interested in Seymour. Al responded with a quick "yes, what do you want for him?", then a talk with Kraft, and bam... done deal.

I know everything that ghoul says has to be taken with a grain of salt, but I always find it neat to see how deals work out and the whole conversation between organizations when these things are getting consumated... and this one looks to have been quite simple and hasty, considering it was a premier player.

Last edited:
The latest entry on the Extra Points blog right now is very interesting. In the Al Davis interview, he says that Belichick straight up asked him if he was interested in Seymour. Al responded with a quick "yes, what do you want for him?", then a talk with Kraft, and bam... done deal.

I know everything that ghoul says has to be taken with a grain of salt, but I always find it neat to see how deals work out and the whole conversation between organizations when these things are getting consumated... and this one looks to have been quite simple and hasty, considering it was a premier player.

iam not sure its as simple as it sounds .BB on WEEI said they have been talking since the burgess trade and the pats werent interested and then the raiders called last weke and it happened. I dont know if bb became nervous with 10 days to go before the opener about seymour going in free agency next yr and called davis and asked him to take seymour. iam quite sure it was the other way around. Davis needs to establish credibility with the org that he is making a splash so iam sure he called BB

One angle which gets very little media play is the fact that Al Davis is still completely puppy dog infatuated with BB. Al just plain kisses BB's ass in private. It is not well documented but the guy hunts down BB at the Combine and bugs him on the phone like they are buddies or something and of course we can only imagine what BB thinks of his pal Al. :rolleyes:

Al would be the first person to call BB if Kraft ever lets him walk. Of course the public facade would still be that Al calls the shots and damn the tuck rule, but Al's wet dream scenario before he does get planted is to have his hoodie who he passed up all those years ago.

i didn't know that davis thought about getting bb in in 1999. luckiest day of belichick's life when he wasn't offered that job!!!

the rest of Davis' comments are barely intelligible so it makes it difficult to evaluate them, but i was interested that he said the letter and grievance were issued more as a matter of course than out of anything that was actually happening.

On the Players Association's filing the grievance: "They just wanted to let you know that the Players Association is still available....That grievance meant nothing."

On the Raiders sending the letter: "Whatever we did, we were entitled to do. The rules state that I could do it. I wouldn't have done it otherwise."

I read those quotes as saying that the Players Association was flexing its muscle and reminding Davis that they might try to play a role if things got nasty and that he sent the letter because the rules let him send it and was just playing all his cards.

Last edited:
Is Al Davis really gloating that he gave up a first round pick for a one season reantal player?

i didn't know that davis thought about getting bb in in 1999. luckiest day of belichick's life when he wasn't offered that job!!!

the rest of Davis' comments are barely intelligible so it makes it difficult to evaluate them, but i was interested that he said the letter and grievance were issued more as a matter of course than out of anything that was actually happening.

On the Players Association's filing the grievance: "They just wanted to let you know that the Players Association is still available....That grievance meant nothing."

On the Raiders sending the letter: "Whatever we did, we were entitled to do. The rules state that I could do it. I wouldn't have done it otherwise."

I read those quotes as saying that the Players Association was flexing its muscle and reminding Davis that they might try to play a role if things got nasty and that he sent the letter because the rules let him send it and was just playing all his cards.

Also Al Davis's unluckiest day and he knows it damn well... :D

I could see our #1 choice being worth less than we hoped IF the Raiders get their act together. If I had the players on that team, I would begin by cutting bait with Jamarcus Russell. But you still have McFadden, decent WRs, and a defense with good players at key positions.

#7,2,1,4,7,7...That's where they've picked the last few years. One other problem for Oakland is that KC is being run like an organization should be, Denver is improving and SD is still tough.
Couple that with Jamarcus Russell having a cap number too high to cut and he's their QB for this year and maybe next. If they have kept Garcia as a starter, maybe I'd agree with you.
Come 2010, there is likely to be a new coach and I don't see them going 8-8 or so to get the #16.....I'm betting top ten........

It is not well documented but the guy hunts down BB at the Combine and bugs him on the phone like they are buddies or something and of course we can only imagine what BB thinks of his pal Al. :rolleyes:

Probably the same way John Dillinger thought about banks.

Last edited:
If I were an NFL owner at the bottom half of the league and I was offered the chance to trade all my players for one season for all the Raiders players, I would.

I guess I'm saying they have a lot of good talent on the Raiders. Too bad their coaching/GM situation is all screwed up.

Saying if the Raiders get their act together is like saying when :pigsfly:

They told Richard they could not give him a new deal because of the cap. There is a reason for that. Part of which is Jamarcus Russell whose deal included no signing bonus but tons of guaranteed money. Whose gonna play QB for you once you cut him and he slams your cap and walks away with $40M in Al's cash...

Please post where KC has picked in the last few years.

KC is being run like an organization should be? Why? Because their GM is Parcell's son-in-law or because they have signed so many patriot players.

#7,2,1,4,7,7...That's where they've picked the last few years. One other problem for Oakland is that KC is being run like an organization should be, Denver is improving and SD is still tough.
Couple that with Jamarcus Russell having a cap number too high to cut and he's their QB for this year and maybe next. If they have kept Garcia as a starter, maybe I'd agree with you.
Come 2010, there is likely to be a new coach and I don't see them going 8-8 or so to get the #16.....I'm betting top ten........

I have to wonder if he'd have even taken it - if he wanted out of the NYJ because of the precarious ownership situation, he must have known Oakland would be worse, even back then. Just my opinion.

Ironically a few years ago Oakland was set up perfectly to reload and continue being a contender. After losing to the Pats in the 2001 playoffs, they were still good enough to go to the Super Bowl in 2002. That's when Gruden was signed by Tampa Bay to be their coach the next year, and they got two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and $8 million to help pay for those players. Instead of reloading, the Raiders have done no better than 5-11 since '02, with a cumulative 24-72 since then.

Ironically a few years ago Oakland was set up perfectly to reload and continue being a contender. After losing to the Pats in the 2001 playoffs, they were still good enough to go to the Super Bowl in 2002. That's when Gruden was signed by Tampa Bay to be their coach the next year, and they got two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and $8 million to help pay for those players. Instead of reloading, the Raiders have done no better than 5-11 since '02, with a cumulative 24-72 since then.

Kinda reminds me of when the Tuna left town. Too bad we didnt have BB, and Pioli making the picks back then.......damn Bobby Grier :mad:

Borges was in rare form on Felger's "Sports Sunday" show last night. I'm paraphrasing, but he bashed Belichick for calling Sey on the phone and informing him that he was traded as opposed to driving to his house and delivering the news personally. He said, "what, he can't drive two towns over for a guy who helped him immeasureably over the years........?"

Classic.

Instead of reloading, the Raiders have done no better than 5-11 since '02, with a cumulative 24-72 since then.

What really blew me away was when I heard that the Raiders have the worst overall record since '02... that's saying something, considering the Lions went 0-16 last year!

What really blew me away was when I heard that the Raiders have the worst overall record since '02... that's saying something, considering the Lions went 0-16 last year!

That's what happens when you have a "Commitment to Excellence." you don't do anything half way!

Then did I hear wrong on the radio? I'd heard that the Patriots offered the choice of either of Seymour or Wilfork to the Raiders, and Oakland chose Seymour. Because my thought was: What if they'd chosen Wilfork, could Brace step right in and start at NT?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye