PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seymour helped push Warren to NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
And since Florio must be on a break, to cap off this snipet Rosenthal recapped Ron Borges' epic fail analysis of the Seymour pick as icing on the cake...

Seymour told Warren about the atmospehere: "It's all business. Come in. Play winning football. Have fun. Family environment. When you walk in through the doors, it's all business. Very appealing," Warren said.

Seymour helped push Gerard Warren to New England | ProFootballTalk.com

Last edited:
I don't know if I buy that. I heard Seymour was a malcontent when he was here and a bad teammate. :p

Nice to see Sey somewhat praising, at least telling it like it is anyway.

I have some higher hopes than most regarding Warren, I think at worst he's a seasoned vet with obvious raw talent--although he hasn't lived up to a top 3 pick, he can and should still contribute.

Not sure why some see it as 'just another older vet' signing etc.

With that said, let's hope Big Sey didn't sabotage us on purpose;)

Wow the quotes at the end of that article from Borges are hilarious. Makes me much more comfortable about our draft despite the what the "experts" say...

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. The genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

-Ron Borges on Pats 2001 draft

Just read this article/blurb...

I'll never get old of reading this:

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end," Borges wrote.

"This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

....Not sure why some see it as 'just another older vet' signing etc....

Because Warren's been a lousy player for most of his NFL career.

It really doesn't mean much at this point,Warren has been an underachiever all his career,especially being the ALLEGED best DL in the draft years ago,nothing notable to be said unless he proves his worth other than being just slightly above a JAG at this point in his career.

Now get Asomugha to sign here because of a good referral and you have something to talk about.

Just read this article/blurb...

I'll never get old of reading this:

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end," Borges wrote.

"This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

The best part of that entire thing is that of the six people listed I'm pretty sure the only two still playing were the ones the Patriots drafted.

SSDD

They hate their coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I buy that. I heard Seymour was a malcontent when he was here and a bad teammate. :p

He's a terrible person and would never have said something so positive and praising.

He's a terrible person and would never have said something so positive and praising.

Actually, I think Seymour's gotten a fair rap around here. He bears grudges, including against BB. Accepting that, he was a reasonable, hardworking player and helpful teammate. But he didn't like the Pats as well as we do.

Yes, his injuries and inconsistent production made people feel he wasn't one of the top, elite, most superior workers and tough guys. But the opposing extreme views (he's soft, he's dogging it, whatever) were restricted to a relatively small minority.

Big Sey also has a full year under his belt now to reflect on an actual comparison of sorts.

Now he knows what he thought he knew before?

LOL at the epic ownage of Borges. That makes me smile.:lol2:

Because Warren's been a lousy player for most of his NFL career.

As I stated in my post, Warren has never lived up to the elite athlete status awarded to him with the #3 overall pick, he is an underachiever at it's finest. I cannot agree that he's been a downright lousy player for most of his career.

Why is he old? Because he's 4 months older than Jarvis Green? I'll agree that a player who comes in the draft class of Seymour and a year before Peppers isn't 'young,' but I don't feel 31 is "that" old. If Warren and Seymour came in 2001, and the whole world was clamoring for Peppers who came in 2002, how can they now complain that Warren is too old?

Compared to Jarvis Green, who wasn't great, but was a viable rotational player:

Warren---more sacks than Green (32 to 28)
Warren---more passes defended (18 to 4)
Warren---played in 15 or more games 7 out of 9 yrs
Warren---way more tackles (228 to 157)

I agree with you about him being an underachiever etc, but cannot see that much of a difference in Green, + I don't get the whole age thing considering he's a yr older than Peppers and the same as Seymour and Green.

Last edited:
As I stated in my post, Warren has never lived up to the elite athlete status awarded to him with the #3 overall pick, he is an underachiever at it's finest. I cannot agree that he's been a downright lousy player for most of his career.

Why is he old? Because he's 4 months older than Jarvis Green? I'll agree that a player who comes in the draft class of Seymour and a year before Peppers isn't 'young,' but I don't feel 31 is "that" old. If Warren and Seymour came in 2001, and the whole world was clamoring for Peppers who came in 2002, how can they now complain that Warren is too old?

Compared to Jarvis Green, who wasn't great, but was a viable rotational player:

Warren---more sacks than Green (32 to 28)
Warren---more passes defended (18 to 4)
Warren---played in 15 or more games 7 out of 9 yrs

I agree with you about him being an underachiever etc, but cannot see that much of a difference in Green + I don't get the whole age thing considering he's a yr older than Peppers and the same as Seymour and Green.

1.) Warren was a top 3 overall pick, who's played far more snaps than Green, and has been in a 1-gap system most of his career, so I don't understand why you would think that an apt comparison.

2.) I didn't call him old.

3.) His best year was his rookie season, and he's been lousy enough for most of his career that 3 different teams that were absolutely desperate for D-line help have given up on him.

4.) He's now coming to a system that highlights his biggest weaknesses.

Could he turn it around and finally 'get it' in New England? Anything's possible. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Why wouldn't Seymour recommend the Patriots to Warren?

I do believe Seymour enjoyed the on-the-field football environment and many successes with the Patriots.

What he didn't like was the pay discrepancy. If another team is going to over you 1.5x what the Patriots will offer, the Patriots will likely not overpay -- as he said, the team is run like a business.

If Warren's available offers are relatively close in dollars, of course Warren should choose the Patriots over another team for all the reasons Seymour gave. However, if Warren was a rising star, then choosing the Patriots may come at the sacrifice of long-term financial gain.

Warren is far from a rising star, so aside from family/geographical issues, I can't see why plus or minus a hundred grand would keep him from choosing the Patriots.

1.) Warren was a top 3 overall pick, who's played far more snaps than Green, and has been in a 1-gap system most of his career, so I don't understand why you would think that an apt comparison.

2.) I didn't call him old.

3.) His best year was his rookie season, and he's been lousy enough for most of his career that 3 different teams that were absolutely desperate for D-line help have given up on him.

4.) He's now coming to a system that highlights his biggest weaknesses.

Could he turn it around and finally 'get it' in New England? Anything's possible. I wouldn't count on it, though.

I'll agree that a comparison to Green isn't the greatest example, if you have another player in mind off hand, that is fine too. My comparison to Green is because that's the player we lost, and who some are expecting to replace numbers wise. They both have played approx. the same number of years also, and are the same age within 4-5 months, so while it's not the greatest comparison, it's not the worst either.

No, you didn't say he was old, but you did respond directly to my statement of "I'm not sure why some are seeing the signing as just another older vet."

His rookie season wasn't necessarily his best, as 2003 he had more sacks, and 2 returned fumbles, but 01 was surely one of 2 good seasons--so that's arguable. 7 out of 9 seasons he has played in 15+ games, which symbolizes a player who doesn't miss much time, so that's a plus for a BB selected vet who can add reps.

Your #3 argument of having 3 different teams giving up on him isn't too hot, considering Randy Moss will likely have his 4th team come next yr, that doesn't really prove he can't offer anything.

I don't know that this system highlights any larger weakness, especially in a 4 man front in a limited role. If this particular system highlights his weakness, then I would think Belichick is responsible for assessing that theory. There are always different variables that come into play, such as the poor talent level surrounding him at times, the hotter starts to seasons that taper off--which shouldn't happen in a limited role. Personally, I think that any warm body that can provide a breather or depth in an injury situation should be looked at with limited expectations. My main point was about his age, that's why I referred to it in my original post. If he can fend off an O lineman for an extra second or two, all the better. He does have size, versatility and experience.

The bottom line is that I really don't care all that much, whether it be Damione Lewis or Gerard Warren--I likely would've stuck up for both, and tried to look at it in a positive way. If BB thinks either can contribute, then he must have some kind of reason. I don't think we're all that far off on our assessment of Warren, although I may be giving him the benefit of the doubt, since many comments were about his age. If he can contribute fine, if not, there's not much lost. I think if he was a 3rd/4th rd pick, many may see the signing as just another guy for depth. Since it was a #3 overall, many figure that he sucks, that isn't fair IMO.

It'll remain a difference of opinion. While I think he may have something to offer, you don't seem to think so. I have been wrong numerous times before, and could very well be wrong with this too. Or I could refer to Belichick's assessment that he may have something to offer, which I am hopeful for.

Last edited:
I'll agree that a comparison to Green isn't the greatest example, if you have another player in mind off hand, that is fine too. My comparison to Green is because that's the player we lost, and who some are expecting to replace numbers wise. They both have played approx. the same number of years also, and are the same age within 4-5 months, so while it's not the greatest comparison, it's not the worst either.

You're trying to compare a #3 pick who's played in 1 gap systems with a career backup from a 2 gap system. It's not an apt comparison. You'd have been better off with a Dan Wilkinson comparison, but he was a major disappointment, too.

No, you didn't say he was old, but you did respond directly to my statement of "I'm not sure why some are seeing the signing as just another older vet."

Yes, and I noted that the issue was that he's lousy. I didn't point to his age. Age is irrelevant. If Andre Tippett could still get it done in the league, I wouldn't care about his age.

His rookie season wasn't necessarily his best, as 2003 he had more sacks, and 2 returned fumbles, but 01 was surely one of 2 good seasons--so that's arguable. 7 out of 9 seasons he has played in 15+ games, which symbolizes a player who doesn't miss much time, so that's a plus for a BB selected vet who can add reps.

Great, so he can suck for more reps than someone else. I'm not sure why you're holding that out as a good thing. Jarvis Green did a lot of sucking for the Patriots last season. He's no longer with the team.

Your #3 argument of having 3 different teams giving up on him isn't too hot, considering Randy Moss will likely have his 4th team come next yr, that doesn't really prove he can't offer anything.

:confused:

Moss was moved around because he was a pain in the ass. He has behaved better since coming to New England, but he's certainly not been blemish free. Warren's behavior is irrelevant, because it's his play that's been the problem. This was another bad comparison

I don't know that this system highlights any larger weakness, especially in a 4 man front in a limited role. If this particular system highlights his weakness, then I would think Belichick is responsible for assessing that theory. There are always different variables that come into play, such as the poor talent level surrounding him at times, the hotter starts to seasons that taper off--which shouldn't happen in a limited role. Personally, I think that any warm body that can provide a breather or depth in an injury situation should be looked at with limited expectations. My main point was about his age, that's why I referred to it in my original post. If he can fend off an O lineman for an extra second or two, all the better. He does have size, versatility and experience.

Go look at why the Broncos traded him:

Warren is being shopped because he doesn't fit the team's new two-gap scheme used by Jim Bates, the assistant head coach in charge of defense.

Warren trade seems imminent - The Denver Post

This year, he didn't fit in the system put in place by the new defensive boss Jim Bates, which requires large interior linemen who hold the point of attack rather than penetrate. The defense played poorly in the first two exhibition games and lost defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban to a season-ending Achilles' injury.

"We're not catching on as fast as we'd like," Bates said. "There's a lot of promising things we see on the tape. There's a lot of good things happening out on the practice field. But in the games we have not played well."

Broncos trade DT Gerard Warren to Raiders - USATODAY.com

The bottom line is that I really don't care all that much, whether it be Damione Lewis or Gerard Warren--I likely would've stuck up for both, and tried to look at it in a positive way. If BB thinks either can contribute, then he must have some kind of reason.

Bates had the guy in camp and decided he couldn't get the job done. As for Belichick's assessment capabilities, he's the one who replaced Seymour with Green.

I don't think we're all that far off on our assessment of Warren, although I may be giving him the benefit of the doubt, since many comments were about his age. If he can contribute fine, if not, there's not much lost. I think if he was a 3rd/4th rd pick, many may see the signing as just another guy for depth. Since it was a #3 overall, many figure that he sucks, that isn't fair IMO.

Well, he does suck when you're looking at him for a potential starter, and he has for most of his career. He's only been a decent player for about 2 seasons in his whole career, and neither of them was in a 2 gap system. On the other hand, you're right about the minimum downside to him as an individual player. The problem is that having him means someone else is not brought in. You seem more comfortable with that than I am.

It'll remain a difference of opinion. While I think he may have something to offer, you don't seem to think so. I have been wrong numerous times before, and could very well be wrong with this too. Or I could refer to Belichick's assessment that he may have something to offer, which I am hopeful for.

I'm hopeful that the Patriots find a way to make him a decent player. That would be a significant improvement for the team at RDE. Even JAG-starter status would be an upgrade over what replaced Seymour last season.

Last edited:
Like how many teams were really after him?

Its a meh signing.

I don't know how many people are really disputing it being a 'meh' signing, or thinking that we made a big off season acquisition. What it does is provide depth at a position that needed it, while utilizing (hopefully) whatever raw skills Warren originally had at being a top #3 draft selection. I thought one of BB great strengths was finding the good in any player?

We all realize he has underachieved, and didn't necessarily have tremendous competition for his services. A large portion of any sports team is made up of role players, seasoned vets, and "JAG's." This is symbolized even more in NE.

I think the idea that he is another older depth signing is obviously very true, and you and Deus are quite correct in assessing his skill set. What may be overlooked is the fact that there weren't exactly a high number of big name players available, not to mention the unlikelihood that we'd have signed them anyway. Every year we sign JAG's, I don't see why this is any different. Did you have a particular player in mind that you wanted us to acquire? (realistically)?

My point was mainly to defend his age, in comparing it with Peppers, Seymour, and Green, since many posters gave their disgusted opinions on 'another old Patriot JAG.' But if you must have a JAG sign here, isn't at least better that he possessed some sort of raw skill set? There are always examples of players who have gone to other teams that sometimes do just fine in a limited role, what better coach to find his strengths while watching closely for his weaknesses? Hell 2 of the 3 teams totally have sucked in CLE and OAK.

In other words, there may be some light to the fact that Bill Belichick is now working with the overall #3 pick as our JAG signing, compared to many other JAG signings that we are used to. He may play better than expected in a limited role. I certainly can't see how it's looked upon any worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back