Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sexual assault in military 'jaw-dropping,' lawmaker says

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 15 / -14

Family values in the military.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/31/military.sexabuse/index.html

A congresswoman said Thursday that her "jaw dropped" when military doctors told her that four in 10 women at a veterans hospital reported being sexually assaulted while in the military.

"Twenty-nine percent say they were raped during their military service. They spoke of their continued terror, feelings of helplessness and downward spirals many of their lives have taken since.

In 2007, Harman said, only 181 out of 2,212 reports of military sexual assaults, or 8 percent, were referred to courts martial. By comparison, she said, 40 percent of those arrested in the civilian world on such charges are prosecuted.

But when it came time for the military to defend itself, the panel was told that the Pentagon's top official on sexual abuse, Dr. Kaye Whitley, was ordered not to show up despite a subpoena.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 15 / -29

How do you not show up is subpoened???

OTOH 4 in 10 at a Vets Hospital is not a sampling of the entire military. I suspect it would be higher than the norm, but the number reported would be less due to the stigma of being weak or being preyed upon by more powerful people.. being a victim is not consistent with being a military person.

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Isn't this something we aren't allowed to talk about if we don't want to be accused of "hating the military?" You can't post this here Patters, you un-American POS.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,459 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Let's put it this way .. has that poster ever made threads commending
    the military on their accomplishments?

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +454 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Although we should all be very grateful to those young men & women who serve on the front-lines, it's kinda hard to commend the military as a whole. Especially our military in Washington. When one compliments "The Military" they are usually referring to the brass. I don't see much in to congratulate them on in my lifetime.

I think it's natural for libs and conservatives to abhorr the warhawk. After all, only a sick mind would actually enjoy war.

But for the actual soldiers? congrats and thank you for every battle you have fought in my lifetime and throughout this nation's history!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sexual assault is a major issue in the Army. It is priority number 1 in Korea and there are programs galore here to try and stop it at all levels. As I just got here, the first 5 days of inprocessing were filled with EO and POSH (sexual harrasment training). The punishment here is very severe, in fact having sexual contact of any type with someone who has been drinking is grounds for punishment if reported.

The military has all of the same problems as society...some more pronounced due to the type of life lived. Nice generalization Patters.....

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +870 / 2 / -9

Did you ever watch a women trying to climb over a f-cking fence---:singing:

Men have been screwing women since Adam & Eve, put A Male and a Female a foxhole together and sooner or later the "Male" is going to get an erection then the "Female" better get ready to be mounted, that is Mother nature kicking in.

Our gooey new slobbering politically correct society and the whailing batty feminists were determined to get Male/Female soldiers just as close together as they possibly could some feminist and other liberal fools even wanted them to take showers together (oh boy) now the screwballs are all upset because Dick wants to f-ck Jane.

It's up to the women now, if your a female and you want to put on a soldier suit and helmet and run around in the woods with a gun with your little soft a$s jiggling like jello with some horny street kid running behind you then you better "watch your a$s" to the Girls I would suggest that if you want to show the world that your just as strong and tough as your brother get a job driving a snow plow all alone at night out on Route 66, stay out of the military. (Men Have Been Known To Get Arroused With Women)

:bricks:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 15 / -14

There's no generalization, but it's obviously a pretty serious issue. Unlike most righties, I don't pander to the troops. I respect their service and realize that a military is necessary, but that doesn't mean I should treat soldiers like children and call every one of them a hero or refuse to criticize the military for fear that it would hurt the delicate sensitivities of the troops. If rape is really that big a problem, the military must do more to address it, but the article makes it sound like the military does not take rape as serious as civilian society does, and that's terrible.

9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Wow Harry. That's really ****ed up, even coming from you. You're spin here is that it's the women's fault because men just can't control themselves from raping women and that women shouldn't join because of this? You just wrote probably the most sexist, misogynistic bunch of verbal diarrhea I've ever seen. I'd be surprised if you could even get one of you fellow right wingers to agree with this nonsense. Really, really stupid.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +870 / 2 / -9

Liberal social planning d-gooders worst enemy is mother nature, no I can't say I blame the women, I blame our f-cked up society, you put a man and women who have never laid eyes on each other before in a room together for two weeks and before the first week is over they will be f-cking, Mother Nature again.

Mother Nature:
    Loons will demonstarte, go on hunger strikes, throw their blood all over City Hall and be dragged screaming to police Paddy Wagons over the cutting down of "ONE TREE" then along comes Mother Nature and shoots a Bolt Of Lightning into the forest and destroys 750,000 trees in 4 1/2 minutes, the Loons stand baffled, they can't blame the rednecks or Bush, Mother Nature did it (liberals worst enemy)

:eek:

11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

So what you're saying is that it's only "natural" for men to rape women if they are together long enough? I think that right there pretty much sums up your lunacy.

And it's not some kind of social experiment anymore, women have been in the military for a long time now and they are a pretty vital part of it. So you just trashed 20% of the US military, well done. And people on the left are supposedly the ones who "hate" the military.:rolleyes:

12. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'd like to see the stat's as compared to a major college. The headline once again reflects badly on our military.

Not trying to say it's not a problem, but I'd like to see it in relationship to other situation where young men and women live closely together.

13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

It's a massive problem in colleges too, but not quite as massive as 29% in the military that are raped and the 41% that are sexually assaulted. This article says that two studies found 13.8% to 15.4% of college girls had been raped since age 14 and 12.1% to 12.5% had experienced an attempted rape since age 14, so that includes rapes that occurred before they were in college too.

http://ptsd.about.com/od/prevalence/a/sexassault.htm

14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,527 / 33 / -55

No Jersey Selected

So these women cannot fend off a man who is not wielding a weapon, yet they are expected by some to be capable of being dropped to the front lines, carrying a high calibur weapon and tons of heavy gear, and then fend off another man... this time carrying a weapon? This has nothing to do with the thread, but women should not be allowed on the front lines.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

We wouldn't be able to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan without women, unless you're in favor of a draft. Not being able to defend yourself against rape has nothing to do with shooting a gun.

16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,527 / 33 / -55

No Jersey Selected

Have you ever held an M-16? Ever felt how heavy their gear is? Let's face it: women are not as strong as men. My point still stands, if you cannot defend yourself against a man without a gun, how do you defend yourself against a man WITH a gun if you're a woman on the front lines?

17. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow a little sensitive about the military are we? It most certainly was a generalizaion about family values in the military. But regardless.....I agree it is a problem as my previous post says. You don't have to pander....nor does one have to only post negative stories reference the military and make sweeping comments reference family values either.

18. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Slow down on the stats....those may or may not be "good" ones as they come from the West Los Angeles VA Clinic population only. Using them like that is dangerous.

19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Yes I have used an M-16 actually. I work in the DC on the hill and every year there is something called "Marine Day" where they take all the staffers out to AAFB and then To Quantico via MV-22 Osprey helicopters and you get to fire all of the weapons they use in active combat and ride around in amphibious assault vehicles. It was actually really fun. But the military wouldn't put M-16s in the hands of females if they didn't feel they could use them. And no, they aren't that heavy.

And you're comparing a women being physically overwhelmed by a man to a woman being able to fire a gun at a man with a gun, and strength doesn't really factor into that. Again, without women the military is paralyzed unless we have a draft. Not to mention that there are many military jobs not on the front ines.

20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Fair enough. But from what I've heard it is a huge issue. And I don't think the chain of command lends itself to incidents like that being dealt with appropriately, so it's not just the numbers, it's the repercussions. We saw that a couple of years ago at the Air Force Academy.