PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Several well known football executives and agent on the Cassel/Brady decisions in '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Several well known football executives and agent on the Cassel/Brady decisions in

I agree with that one guy that said when Cassel is gone and thats a definate then I think the team turns EARLY in the offseason for a backup like a Kerry Collins type if there are any available
Didn't you say last summer that Cassel was gone and that the team would look for a vet backup?

Re: Several well known football executives and agent on the Cassel/Brady decisions in

I think that this argument is gaaaaaaaaaay. I mean come on, really?

No, he wasn't - Brady was - that's why he replaced Drew in game...

My bad.

I don't believe O'Connell is in the position Brady was. With three young quarterbacks, being able to move one around without losing him was the main concern here IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but O'Connell was seen as a high upside guy, not a polished pro style QB from a major program, when he was drafted.

I still say that it wouldn't be a shock to see the Pats start Gut with 2 years experience over him even if he makes good progress.

The only decision the Pats have with Cassel is whether they franchise and trade the guy or just let him go. This "should the Pats keep Cassel next year" debate is interesting, but totally unrealistic in today's NFL. This team has far too many holes that need to filled to tie up $12-14 million on a back up QB for insurance that Brady doesn't make it back.

History has shown that Brady should be back and probably near 100%. The media seemed to have overblown the infection angle and Brady seems to be farther ahead in his recovery than Philip Rivers was before this season and Carson Palmer was after his injury. Both had/has a Pro Bowl quality season on their return. No reason to believe Brady won't.

Yeah, and I wouldn't put it past the Pats to say "Hey Tom, leak to the press a couple of extra operations will ya?" Thereby assuring a good reason to franchise-to-trade.

Rosy thinking however. Most likely he DID have infection issues. Well that's a definite problem, and even WITH a good prognosis, there's no reason to think this is a 1-year comeback. It's not a 100% certainty.

"In today's NFL", as we say, a Cassel signing is neither likely nor impossible. 'Nuff said.

PFnV

Yeah, and I wouldn't put it past the Pats to say "Hey Tom, leak to the press a couple of extra operations will ya?" Thereby assuring a good reason to franchise-to-trade.

Rosy thinking however. Most likely he DID have infection issues. Well that's a definite problem, and even WITH a good prognosis, there's no reason to think this is a 1-year comeback. It's not a 100% certainty.

"In today's NFL", as we say, a Cassel signing is neither likely nor impossible. 'Nuff said.

PFnV

Actually it's a 9 month comeback and the infection set him back a couple of weeks, so barring further setbacks there is every reason to think this is a 1 year comeback or less (pre season...).

RayClay said:
I don't believe O'Connell is in the position Brady was. With three young quarterbacks, being able to move one around without losing him was the main concern here IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but O'Connell was seen as a high upside guy, not a polished pro style QB from a major program, when he was drafted.

I still say that it wouldn't be a shock to see the Pats start Gut with 2 years experience over him even if he makes good progress.

KO was assessed (by the Patriots FO) as a QB who graded out a first rounder. Gutz left Michigan to play small ball and was an UDFA. What TC and the pre season told some of us was the FO was pleased with the rookie's progress for a rookie and not pleased with Gutierrez progress for a second year guy. He's spending most of his time playing varying roles on the scout team. O'Connell is immersed in this offense as Cassel's backup... So like I said if Gutz somehow manages to lap KO on the depth chart KO will be getting flipped (or cut) too. Gutz was drafted to have a third arm in camp who could represent a developmental QB. KO was drafted to be the backup here from 2009-2011 (with Cassel gone in 2009 and Brady signed only through 2010 - although I don't think they feared not being able to get Tommy extended, it's just that nothing is ever a given in the NFL)...

Last edited:

Didn't you say last summer that Cassel was gone and that the team would look for a vet backup?

Have you always been right and perfect Spacecrime? or are you just an occasional arrogant jerk at times?

Didn't you say the team would be something like 13-3 or so? - You are wrong too so how about just STFU unless you forecast something someday that actually comes true before insulting others.

Last edited:

even without brady, cassel is not the best QB prospect on the team.......

this is such a no-brainer........

after the season, the pats will do what they can to get what they can for cassel.........but I am pretty sure he will not be on the roster next year.......no point in having him play under the franchise tag next year since he will not take the pats to the promised land.......by this time next year, kevin o'connell will be a better QB than cassel is now......in every aspect of the game ESPECIALLY the long ball

after the season, the pats will do what they can to get what they can for cassel.........but I am pretty sure he will not be on the roster next year.......no point in having him play under the franchise tag next year since he will not take the pats to the promised land.......by this time next year, kevin o'connell will be a better QB than cassel is now......in every aspect of the game ESPECIALLY the long ball

If memory serves me right,O'Connell has neer seen a snap in a regular season game - While I think Cassel is FAR from a good quarterback he has been better than expected and that is with 4 years in the system

I say get a veteran QB in the offseason,acclimate him to the system and have O'Connell slowly learn from Brady and the backup vet,Then maybe O'Connell will show something in 2010 if we need him - I don't want O'Connell out there next year unless its garbage time play.

Last edited:

KO was assessed (by the Patriots FO) as a QB who graded out a first rounder.

Apparently that wasn't a consensus

[ S.I. ]ANALYSIS: O'Connell is a terrific college quarterback with solid physical skills. His woeful accuracy and poor placement will make it difficult for him to ever leave a practice squad.

PROJECTION: Early Seventh Round

Gutz left Michigan to play small ball and was an UDFA.

You left out that he won the starting job at Michigan and only lost it because he hurt his shoulder.

What TC and the pre season told some of us was the FO was pleased with the rookie's progress for a rookie and not pleased with Gutierrez progress for a second year guy.

Or that we had three young QB's, one of which could pass through waivers the easiest. Remember, those games were on TV and I trust what I see better than your mind reading abilities.

In our dreams anyway...:rofl: The Cassel haters never give in.

Last edited:

If memory serves me right,O'Connell has neer seen a snap in a regular season game - While I think Cassel is FAR from a good quarterback he has been better than expected and that is with 4 years in the system

I say get a veteran QB in the offseason,acclimate him to the system and have O'Connell slowly learn from Brady and the backup vet,Then maybe O'Connell will show something in 2010 if we need him - I don't want O'Connell out there next year unless its garbage time play.

...I'm sorry, what? :confused:

I don't think the Pats will be "forced" to do anything regarding Cassel. Isn't the plan for the Pats to franchise him next year or did I not read that correctly?

If that is possilbe, they can hold onto him for one more year until Brady is fully evaluated.

Is that not correct?

Don't they have to have about $14 million in cap space to franchise him?

Don't they have to have about $14 million in cap space to franchise him?
They have more than enough for that, the money would clear once/if he's traded. It's not conceivable at this point that they'd let him walk for a possible comp pick.

I don't think the Pats will be "forced" to do anything regarding Cassel. Isn't the plan for the Pats to franchise him next year or did I not read that correctly?

If that is possilbe, they can hold onto him for one more year until Brady is fully evaluated.

Is that not correct?

You only read that here or in the media. They aren't talkin' about next year yet...

But if they do franchise Matt it will be to trade him for a potential boatload of picks if this keeps up. They won't spend $29M on the position in 2009 "just in case" Brady isn't ready week 1, but they can easily tie up $14.6M for a few weeks in March to get a leg up on the defensive rebuild (oh, and maybe some upgrading of that OL...) come April and the draft.

You have to remember that some of our players have escalators in their contracts as well.
It'll move up and down, we'll probably release some players that will create room or re-do deals. The point is, we aren't $1M below with no way to fit the $14M temporarily. We can, and will, Franchise him - I will be forever stunned and disappointed if we don't.

It'll move up and down, we'll probably release some players that will create room or re-do deals. The point is, we aren't $1M below with no way to fit the $14M temporarily. We can, and will, Franchise him - I will be forever stunned and disappointed if we don't.

Thank goodness we don't have any other impact players with their contracts up after this season. This is going to be an interesting offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back