PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seriously? - Court to hear old fan lawsuit over "Spygate"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the part I like :

"U.S. Circuit Judge D. Michael Fisher said the $500,000 fine imposed by the NFL showed that the violation was "egregious," and asked: "Why shouldn't ticket holders have some recourse?" "

Not that I want these schmucks to win but it's a statement about how much Goodell blew it, it was a minor infraction and ticket holders should have no recourse and, yet, Goodell placed the enormous fines both in money and the very valued draft pick. You set yourself up for this, Roger, by making a huge big deal out of what should have been little. Congratulations.

This is why I almost want to see it go to trial. There will never be enough evidence for these guys to prove that they didn't see a fair game. There is a whole laundry list of people that the NFL can march out to say it didn't effect the game. Nevermind the fact that the Patriots didn't really break a rule but an emphasis in a letter. However, by doing so Roger is admitting that he penalized the Patriots so harshly because he was mad that BB ignored his letter.

I'm starting to wonder if we will ever be rid of this nonsense. This morning on the way to work I was listening to a local radio station and they were listing today's celebrity birthdays; one of the hosts read BB's birthday, and then made some remark I didn't fully hear that mentioned the Jets, and then the other host said "Yeah, he is such a CHEATER."

I don't want to do it from work, but tonight I am going to send him a nice, polite, expletive-laden message telling him where he can shove his microphone.

And if you'd like, I can post his e-mail here so y'all can do the same.

Florio just put this up a bit ago: Spygate lawsuit may still have some hope | ProFootballTalk.com

This is the part that caught my eye:
Though the plaintiffs in the case have no way to know it and the Patriots and the NFL have no reason to admit it (yet, if ever), the truth (as we've heard it since September 2007 from multiple league insiders) is that this kind of stuff was happening all the time, and that the Patriots were the ones who got caught.

If this goes to trial, and it comes out that everyone was doing this and the Pats were the ones whom got their pee pee's slapped for it...well, that would really clear there names, so to speak. AND it would be because those two douchebag Jet fans thought they were going to make the Pats look even more corrupt and dirty in the court. That would just make my year!

Maybe I am missing something or looking at it the wrong way, but all I see is focus from something unfortunate being re-placed upon us--yet again. In a time when there are glaring problems with other teams that are current, not to mention more important, once again all of the focus will be on something negative about us.

The more publicity and talk this gets, the more newspapers get sold, and the more it refreshens all of the haters' memories = exactly what these idiots wanted in the first place.

For those of you that feel that we'll somehow be made to look better, keep dreaming. There's no way there will be proof of anyone else's wrongdoing, we are, and will continue to be the fallguys for this topic.

The part that continues to bother me the most about the whole damn thing is that just about everyone (apparently judges included) don't really know all of the facts or understand the whole 'jist' of the matter. There are so many people who still feel that we controlled the outcome of the game somehow etc, and all this re-newed talk will continue to make them feel that way.

I understand that some are hopeful that new revelations are brought to light regarding rulings + other teams' habits etc--but I honestly do not see it that way. I see Part 3 of a Witch hunt against BB and the NEP. It's amazing, when all the talk should be of rapists, thugs, etc, it somehow turns back to 2007 again.

Florio just put this up a bit ago: Spygate lawsuit may still have some hope | ProFootballTalk.com

This is the part that caught my eye:

If this goes to trial, and it comes out that everyone was doing this and the Pats were the ones whom got their pee pee's slapped for it...well, that would really clear there names, so to speak. AND it would be because those two douchebag Jet fans thought they were going to make the Pats look even more corrupt and dirty in the court. That would just make my year!

It's funny how the "everyone did it" explanation is being used by league attorneys and is not being instantly derided by media members. Quite a change from 2007.

I was also surprised to re-read my post from earlier in this thread as part of the comments on the article. Apparently, "NikA" thought enough of what BelichickFan and I posted here and added them as comments. I guess I should be flattered.

And let's not forget, the rules don't disallow the taping of games. Just not the taping of games for use in the current game. The memo is meant to be the interpretation of that rule by the Commissioner.

I'd like to see a poll where people see the whole "stealing of signs". It astounds me that many people still think teams aren't allowed to steal signs...

Cowen especially seemed swayed by the plaintiffs' arguments, telling the defense lawyers that he considered the games to be rigged when the Patriots "knew every signal and [were] able to foretell every play that was going to be called."/QUOTE]

This is called "assuming facts not in evidence." Good luck proving that this was true.

I agree with others here that Commisioner Blockhead's Amatuer Hour treatment of this farce looks even stupider today than it did three years ago.

Maybe I am missing something or looking at it the wrong way, but all I see is focus from something unfortunate being re-placed upon us--yet again. In a time when there are glaring problems with other teams that are current, not to mention more important, once again all of the focus will be on something negative about us.

The more publicity and talk this gets, the more newspapers get sold, and the more it refreshens all of the haters' memories = exactly what these idiots wanted in the first place.

For those of you that feel that we'll somehow be made to look better, keep dreaming. There's no way there will be proof of anyone else's wrongdoing, we are, and will continue to be the fallguys for this topic.

The part that continues to bother me the most about the whole damn thing is that just about everyone (apparently judges included) don't really know all of the facts or understand the whole 'jist' of the matter. There are so many people who still feel that we controlled the outcome of the game somehow etc, and all this re-newed talk will continue to make them feel that way.

I understand that some are hopeful that new revelations are brought to light regarding rulings + other teams' habits etc--but I honestly do not see it that way. I see Part 3 of a Witch hunt against BB and the NEP. It's amazing, when all the talk should be of rapists, thugs, etc, it somehow turns back to 2007 again.

I read Koma mentioned "NikA" comments posted on PFT's page, he also posted this which I think answers some of your questions/concerns:
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Jimmy Johnson thinks Spygate is overblown

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where’d you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you’d just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That’s the best way to do it, but anyway you can’t always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they’re on the same side as the opposing team that’s when you need to do it from the sideline.

More facts come out, the better it will be for Pats and BB.

Thanks for responding BPF. I appreciate the links, Q and A, etc.

I am just worried that while we'll be hoping that new facts/truth come to light, we'll be guaranteed to still be getting too much negative attention.

Regardless, your stuff makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing--so thanks.

Last edited:
LOL looks like we ditched FRAMe way too early!

(But for those of you who miss our frothing at the mouth over the original charges, check out the Wayback Machine archive:

FRAMe)

We had thought about coaching trees descended from admitted instances of football espionage as another feature, but decided we had gotten to the end of the saga by the time that idea came up.

And let's not forget, the rules don't disallow the taping of games. Just not the taping of games for use in the current game. The memo is meant to be the interpretation of that rule by the Commissioner.

I'd like to see a poll where people see the whole "stealing of signs". It astounds me that many people still think teams aren't allowed to steal signs...

FWIW, our beloved 'friends' over at BSPN had a poll that stated this. I tried to find a link but didn't have success--it was from 07 when the story was big.

In essence, the majority of sports fans do think it's OK to steal signs---in baseball... The poll showed that approx. 65-70% of fans thought it was OK for baseball, and that it was part of the game, etc.

In football, the numbers were astoundingly lower. Football fans, according to this particular poll, feel that it isn't allowed. I believe about 20% stated that they felt it was 'part of the game.'

I'll continue to try and find the link--if they even still have it up after 3 yrs later.

I read Koma mentioned "NikA" comments posted on PFT's page, he also posted this which I think answers some of your questions/concerns:
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Jimmy Johnson thinks Spygate is overblown

Perhaps, finally, all the facts will finally come out. I mean reading what JJ says absolutely proves and frames exactly was BB did that was wrong - quote simply, he ignored a memo and was punished for it.

It astonishes me to this day how it all came down...........I blame Goodell for trying to show how he was going to run a tight ship and he madeke an example of BB and a name for himself. He chose the wrong situation to use, never figuring on the reaction that he unleashed. Then it was too late and he could not put that Jeannie back in the bottle once he screwed up.

I do believe, that were the truth, all of it, be told - that all of this would finally be able to be put to bed and the massive dent in BB's persona would be reduced to the tiny ping that it rightfully should have been all along.

I remember being criticized for defending BB by talking about the meaning of "a game" being where BB would have been talking about his defense, and that's what the NFL attorney stated in defense of the league.

The ironies in this case will just continue to make themselves known.

Yep, it's wait-and-see time. I like BB's/NE's chances a lot better this time through, but a lot will depend on whether this will be filed under a) yesterday's news, b) news that "hmmm, might have another side!" or c) jackass fan behavior. I think (a) is the most likely media outcome.

In theory, yes, I agree with you. But, any fact-centered argument assumes that your audience is willing to listen to facts. Since those who are willing to listen to facts have already formed a reasonable view, it really does the Pats no good to have the matter resurrected, so, from a practical point of view, I disagree.

Personally, I don't think that Belichick's signal stealing helped his teams disproportionately in winning any of their SB's and I doubt it differed from what others were doing.

But, he did continue it after the league made it clear it was to stop and, as a result, there are many outside New England and Patriot Nation who strongly believe that the implication is that he did other things they don't know about and that he did them in a way that did help disproportionately; whether you and I like it or not, whether we think it is fair or unfair, reasonable or unreasonable, it is not likely they will be dissuaded. We have to accept that reality and that BB brought this on himself and the team.

[You left out an important quote from the Johnson interview:

Q: You think the NFL came down too hard on them?

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not just in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And so that’s when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying don’t do it any more, he did it.]

In theory, yes, I agree with you. But, any fact-centered argument assumes that your audience is willing to listen to facts. Since those who are willing to listen to facts have already formed a reasonable view, it really does the Pats no good to have the matter resurrected, so, from a practical point of view, I disagree.

Personally, I don't think that Belichick's signal stealing helped his teams disproportionately in winning any of their SB's and I doubt it differed from what others were doing.

But, he did continue it after the league made it clear it was to stop and, as a result, there are many outside New England and Patriot Nation who strongly believe that the implication is that he did other things they don't know about and that he did them in a way that did help disproportionately; whether you and I like it or not, whether we think it is fair or unfair, reasonable or unreasonable, it is not likely they will be dissuaded. We have to accept that reality and that BB brought this on himself and the team.

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not just in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And so that’s when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying don’t do it any more, he did it.]

PFS74--Good post and explanation. In essence, this is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say--yet you stated it better than I could have.

I also agree with PatsFanInVa's views that it will be filed under yesterday's news, etc, and that most won't bother to read the fine print anyway. After all, if they would've bothered in the first place, they'd have a fair view of what actually happened by now.

The comments from Feb.08 from Jimmy Johnson were great, in the sense that it made people realize that it was more common than they thought, but how many people 'really' know this? When all is said and done, I am not sure how much these JJ comments would help anyway? Is it a high likelihood that his comments will get major attn this time, or that they will matter?

All I know is that here in Pittsburgh, instead of the talk revolving around their own teams' problems etc--I had to hear today from people who looked in the newspaper and stated to me that "I heard that Spy thing is back again."

Very sadly true.

Have you ever tried to have a rational discussion with Patriot hating fans? All reason and facts fall on deaf ears. They don't care. To them it's to easy to dismiss you and the accomplishments of the team, they don't want to give that up.

Me: Alot of teams have been doing the same thing, it's not illegal to steal signs, it's illegal to record them from the sidelines. Every team employs up to 4 coaches, some giving dummy signals, you think they do all this just because of the Patriots?

Them: Why did they get fined so heavy and lose a first round pick? Why did they destroy the video? Stop defending your cheating team. Your team stole the defensive signals and used them in the second half. Thats what ESPN said.

Me: Thats bullspit! How can they determine who the active signal caller is, and in 15min at half time decipher the signals and have it be usable? And heres another variable for ya. Lets say they do decipher the signals and know what they are. What if the other team (gasp) changes the signals at halftime!?! Ever think of the disadvantage of that?

Them:....................................um, If they weren't cheating, why did they destroy the videos, and take away a first round pick? You guy's haven't won a superbowl since they took the videos.

The point is, no matter what new evidence comes out,they won't listen. It's to convinent for them to stick there head in the sand.

The whole thing got to f*&ked up from the beginning. The commish royally screwed us. He gave reasonable doubt to everyone to call us cheaters. Then the media ran wild with rampart speculation, and agenda driven garbage. Any friends who stuck up for us, were thrown to the wayside. Enemies given the spotlight. Joey Porter, Hines Ward, every meathead with an axe to grind was given 15min on NFL Live, or NFL countdown. No one with an opposing opinion was given the light of day.

****, they devoted a whole Sportscenter special to killing us! With not one! NOT ONE! analyst defending us. It was such a one sided beat down for our team it was disgusting. I will honestly never trust mainstream media again. They took the art of objective journalism and killed it. Killed it in front us, without even an effort to disguise there agenda.

Put Matt Walsh in stark contrast to Tim Donaghy. To me this was a glaring example of the media cherry picking.

Matt Walsh was vague at best, provided nothing that wasn't already known. Had an axe to grin with the team, but the media treated him as the second coming. No questioning his motives.

Tim Donaghy was outed, opened up and came clean about games he helped fix, and even gave examples that were proven correct. He alleges that other ref's fix games in the interest of the league, and the evidence is tangible. Not totally, but you can see the inconsistency.

The media laughs off all this off saying he isn't credible! He's trying to save himself, so he'll say anything. BULLSPIT!!

It's a fight we'll never win in the court of public opinion. It was too much of a one sided fight in 2007. The league said one thing, and punished another way. The media played to one side to drum up page hits, and sell newspapers, with the added benifit of damaging the reputation of a man they don't like anyways.

This is a situation where facts, and truth will always be secondary to spin and speculation. I find this to be very sad state of affairs.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back