PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Serious offers for Cassel yet? [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How many #1 picks for Cassel?

He's going to beat out one of Pennington, Clemens, or Ainge? Don't think so.

if Jet doesn't pick Cassel, i don't know who will. The teams which needs QBs got what they wanted in this draft. Perhaps, it'll be his last NFL season after he leaves Pats.

Most of his throws came against teams when they were hugely demoralized and down by about thirty points. Not that I think he's any good, but Vince Young has actually started games and been forced to play from behind and in a situation where failure is possible, and the sample size is much larger. It's apples and oranges.

No. Most of his throws came in the last regular season game in 2005, when he went 11-20 for 168 yards, with 2 touchdowns, no interceptions, and a 116.2 rating.

Do you think that pats will keep TB as long as they can.? If TB asks too much for his contract , BB will show him the door as he did to another QB a few years ago.

Only problem here is that Drew had already inked a considerable extension mostly due to the Krafts' need for a marquee name while building a new stadium. IOW, Drew wasn't traded because he demanded too much money. The money had already been given to him. Instead, BB's problem with Drew being the starting QB was that BB thought the game had become too fast for Drew, the game had passed him by and he had problems throwing to his left. So it's hardly just about the dollars and I don't think we're close to seeing Brady's game falter to that point any time soon.

O'Connell's stock is currently higher than Cassell's

It's funny how the backup QB always seems to be the "best" player on the team.

We scoff about Taylor getting a #1 pick - and yet people think Cassell will fetch a #1 - and isn't he a free agent after this year too?

Amazing - just amazing.

I'd settle for a 5th round pick. I don't know who these imaginary people are you are talking about who have been shouting - "We'll get a #1 pick for Cassell!!" ... because I think I would have noticed that.

He's going to beat out one of Pennington, Clemens, or Ainge? Don't think so.

You DO realize that list of names you rattled off isn't very impressive at ALL, don't you?
Not saying Cassell would beat them out, just saying, those guys aren't all that great to begin with.

Last edited:

O'Connell's stock is currently higher than Cassell's

It's funny how the backup QB always seems to be the "best" player on the team.

We scoff about Taylor getting a #1 pick - and yet people think Cassell will fetch a #1 - and isn't he a free agent after this year too?

Amazing - just amazing.

Backup quarterbacks are like cheese. They get wrapped up and coddled to foment for a few years . As soon as they start to stink, their value goes up. ;)

Most of his throws came against teams when they were hugely demoralized and down by about thirty points. Not that I think he's any good, but Vince Young has actually started games and been forced to play from behind and in a situation where failure is possible, and the sample size is much larger. It's apples and oranges.

Most of Cassel's throws came in a game against Miami., last game of the season that we treated as a bye and the dolphins needed to win to have some momentum going into the next year. We had our scrubbies in, and the Dolphins were playing starters. We were down by 14 and he brought us back. Went for a two-point conversion at the end and damn near won. With Billy Yates playing LT and Childress and Kight as our two offensive weapons. CHildress played both WR and RB.

I'm not comparing him to Young, but his passes did not come against a team emoralized and down by 30. If you don't like Cassel fine, but don't make up crap.

Cassel will be backup this year, and O'connell will take the reins next year for three years. Then BB will think about drafting a QB to replace Brady.

Last edited:

What a load of crap. From whose butt did you pull this info?

Most of Cassel's throws came in a game against Miami., last game of the season that we treated as a bye and the dolphins needed to win to have some momentum going into the next year. We had our scrubbies in, and the Dolphins were playing starters. We were down by 14 and he brought us back. Went for a two-point conversion at the end and damn near won. With Billy Yates playing LT and Childress and Kight as our two offensive weapons. CHildress played both WR and RB.

I'm not comparing him to Young, but his passes did not come against a team emoralized and down by 30. If you don't like Cassel fine, but don't make up crap.

Cassel will be backup this year, and O'connell will take the reins next year for three years. Then BB will think about drafting a QB to replace Brady.

Finally some rationality. I really don't understand all the Cassel hate. What has he done to deserve it? The guy seems to be a solid backup to Brady in camp and in practice, which is about all you can expect for a 2nd stringer.

Anyone who thinks that someone other than Cassel will be backing up Brady this year is nuts.

Finally some rationality. I really don't understand all the Cassel hate. What has he done to deserve it? The guy seems to be a solid backup to Brady in camp and in practice, which is about all you can expect for a 2nd stringer.

Anyone who thinks that someone other than Cassel will be backing up Brady this year is nuts.

Remember when Cassel threw that INT in Miami and Brady had to go back in? So does Belichick.

You don't draft a QB if you feel real good about your backup. Cassel will have to win the spot at camp.

And to answer the original question: none. Two-first rounders?? I want some of the **** you're smoking please.

I think they'll trade Cassel. Maybe 2 #1s.

For all the nay-sayers out there, Cassel's probably better than Ryan and he was a 3rd pick.

So 2 #1s is cheap.
Are you kidding? Played little in college. Three year backup QB that few outside the Pats org know much about? They'd be lucky to get a 5th round pick.

Only problem here is that Drew had already inked a considerable extension mostly due to the Krafts' need for a marquee name while building a new stadium. IOW, Drew wasn't traded because he demanded too much money. The money had already been given to him. Instead, BB's problem with Drew being the starting QB was that BB thought the game had become too fast for Drew, the game had passed him by and he had problems throwing to his left. So it's hardly just about the dollars and I don't think we're close to seeing Brady's game falter to that point any time soon.

Not to mention Drew didn't want to play backup QB and was demanding that either he or Brady be traded (or Brady return to backup).

If BB has confident in Cassel or any backup QB, he will not draft another backup QB.? It does make sense, doesn't it.?

why don't we accept this reality and move on.?

Cassell will fetch the same amount of #1 draft picks that the pats received for rohan davey.

If BB has confident in Cassel or any backup QB, he will not draft another backup QB.? It does make sense, doesn't it.?

Not if Cassel has only a year left on his contract and it takes at least a year to develop a replacement.

As this board has grown in membership the general intelligence quotient not to mention football IQ has gone down the proverbial crapper.

Half the people in this thread are too dense to grasp that mcbee plays his sarcastic backup QB value card for attention whenever the subject arises. Most of the rest seldom see another backup play unless it's against us, where every completion poor SOB manages is a reason we should have found a guy like that... I saw all I had to of Cassel in that Miami game. He hasn't had a shot at an opportunity like that since. However I haven't worried about him since, either. Nobody who comes in to replace Brady will be Brady, that said I'd take my chances with a guy whose been in the system 3 years over some jag whose available because he's so inconsistent he can't stick anywhere. Most guys off the bench cold will make mistakes. The nice thing about Matt has been his ability to shake the rust off quickly. Something most folks with correctable 20/20 vision saw Rohan was incapable of doing at this level from day 1. To hear these guys whine you'd think Vinny didn't make/extend a career out of throwing picks off the bench...

Cassel is arguably an upgrade over several backups and a handful of projected starters. Someone will take a shot at that whenever he does become available simply because he backed Brady up for 2-3 seasons (and before folks go there, Rohan was #2 for exactly 1 nailbiting season, his last of 3, and Cassel has already exponentially outperformed anything Rohan attempted to do as a pro in regular let alone pre season play). I bet Tom Dimitroff would love to have backup Matt in the mix in Atlanta rather than paying Joey a million for another couple of ugly starts before they are forced to rush Ryan into the starting role. If Romeo listened to Pats fans he'd have dumped Anderson like Baltimore did after TC in 2005 after the 2006 season when he stunk in 5 games and 3 starts as a backup throwing 5 TD's and 8 picks, nevermind after a lackluster 2007 pre season where he showed no progress and if Quinn had not held out of camp he'd have been the 3rd string backup to the rookie.

I think that you may have it backwards. Brady wasn't held out for his injuries BECAUSE Belichick had so little faith in Cassel.

Rrright.

I thought that if we'd had a better back up QB in the SB ,resting Brady for a couple of downs wouldn't have been a bad idea.He might not have liked it too much but he was getting beat on and there were too many 3 and outs.It might
have confused the Giants to mix it up a bit.

I thought that if we'd had a better back up QB in the SB ,resting Brady for a couple of downs wouldn't have been a bad idea.He might not have liked it too much but he was getting beat on and there were too many 3 and outs.It might
have confused the Giants to mix it up a bit.

you brought up an interesting point about that SB game. Even though Cassell spent 1 week to prepare for the game when Tom had injury, he didn't play.

So much for a backup QB.

Last edited:

Huh, what.

If he leads the Patriots to the Playoffs, someone will trade for him. He has every chance to make himself a lot of money this year by showing his abilities with a pretty great supporting cast. I'd imagine, if they get to the playoffs, and even win a game...He gets the Patriots more or the same than the Falcons got for Matt Schaub.

maybe slightly more.....Shaub got the falcons 2 second round picks....

and he only started 1 game

Matt Schaub

NFL career

Atlanta Falcons
In 2004, Matt Schaub saw playing time in six games with the Atlanta Falcons, including starting the NFL week sixteen contest against the New Orleans Saints.

In 2005, Schaub was named the Most Valuable Player in the American Bowl preseason game in Tokyo, Japan. In front of 45,203 fans at the Tokyo Dome, Schaub completed 11 of 13 passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-21 comeback victory over the Indianapolis Colts. During the regular season he played in 5 games, starting one. His lone start came against the New England Patriots in week 5; Schaub threw for 298 yards and three touchdowns in the 31-28 loss.

[edit] Houston Texans
In March 2007, the Houston Texans acquired Schaub from the Falcons for second round picks in 2007 and 2008.

Dopes.

Cassel is a free agent at the end of the season.
Is no one here paying any attention at all to what's going on this season?

If Cassel plays great, he is gone.
Cleo Lemon got a $10mm contract this off-season, as did a bunch of other similarly "skilled" QB's. If Cassel plays great and leads the team to 10-12 wins, he will earn a big pay-day and be gone. The market for crappy back-ups like Lemon is 3 years, $3mm+. No way the Pats pay $5mm or more a year for a back-up, even at QB. That's why they have O'Connell, to be the next cheap developmental back-up QB.

If Cassel stinks, he's gone.
If Cassel starts out hot, beating KC, NYJ, and Miami, but then crumbles against Denver, Indy, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and stumbles to a 7-9 record or worse, he's probably gone as well. The Pats will focus on developing O'Connell and other options.

If Cassel is mediocre, there's a chance the Pats re-sign him as a back-up for reasonable money, in the $2-4mm range.

However, there is no scenario in which the Patriots trade him.
They would have to sign him, including a big signing bonus, and then trade him, eating the signing bonus. The corresponding cap hit would then kill their plans to re-sign Wilfork, Mankins, Hobbs, etc.

The only hopes of draft picks would be if he has an incredible season, takes the Pats to the Super Bowl, and some team signs him for $10mm. Then the Pats would get a third round compensatory pick in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes