PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(serious): Colin Kaepernick 6 years 110+ million, with 61 million guaranteed

Having talent around helps but it does not make any magic, you put Sanchez there and 49ers would stink just like the Jets.

Sanchez went to the AFCCG twice. You probably couldn't have chosen a worse QB for your comparison.

Based on the "optimum worth" of a deal, which looks at the first 3 years average, Kaepernick is the 12th-highest paid QB in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7564/kaepernicks-deal-is-12th-richest

I don't think this is a huge deal and I'm not sure why people are posting such venomous things. He's being paid like a good QB should be, not a first-ballot HOFer or All Pro. He's making less than Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, and Matthew Stafford, none of which I'd take over Kaep right now based on age, production, and potential.

He sometimes tries to do too much, but part of that is inexperience (he has 23 regular season starts, fewer than Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck).

And every once in a while, he tries something that makes you scratch your head. But overall he makes pretty good decisions as his 31-11 TD-INT ratio would confirm. I'm not saying he's a HOFer, but that mark is better than Manning and Brady in their first two seasons so clearly he's not a complete moron on the field either as some like to think.

He is what he is, a good young QB with lots of potential and lots of growing up to do. He's being paid fairly for what that is, not as a top-10 guy but a guy who could get there. What's the big deal?

When the alternative is Josh Freeman the GM's job is to ask if he wants fries with that.

Wow, that's a pretty crazy list, I gotta say. I'd agree re: Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Luck, and Newton. But Rivers, Romo, Foles, and RG3 as definites? In my book, they're all borderline at best, along with Stafford. Of the rest (Cutler, Flacco, Tannehill, Smith), I'd take Kaepernick over them and never think twice about it.

Which puts Kaepernick right around the top 10 mark. Given his age, potential, and the length of the contract, I don't see that as a significant overpay. Within a couple of years, that deal might not break the top 10 for AAV on QB contracts. At a bare minimum, worst case scenario, I still know I'd much rather be paying Kaepernick that kind of money than someone like Flacco or Stafford.

Ironically, a lot of the arguments being used against Kaepernick in this thread are pretty similar to the arguments that were used against Brady earlier in his career. Yes, he has a very strong team and coach around him. But it's no accident that they're in the NFCCG every year. And yet we have people saying that they'd consider taking Alex Smith over Kaepernick? We already saw that play out: Kaepernick is better, period.

And FWIW, I'm saying all of this as someone who doesn't even really like the guy. He seems like a ****,but that doesn't make him a bad football player.

2001:

RB: Antowain Smith/Redmond
TE: Jermaine Wiggins
WR: Troy Brown, David Patten

2003-2004:

RB: Antowain Smith/Faulk then Corey Dillon/Faulk
TE: Daniel Graham/Fauria
WR: Branch, Brown, Givens

Kaepernick would have been booed off the field with that "talent."

Also, you give Tannehill a top 5 OL rather than an OL that could get him killed and yes, I would take him over Kaepernick.

...I don't think this is a huge deal and I'm not sure why people are posting such venomous things...

Kaepernick has done some things that rub people the wrong way. He hasn't done anything that's actually wrong, or anything, but you know how people are.

I just cannot see giving $61M to a player whose last two offseason have consisted of sexual assault investigation, allegations of smoking weed, wearing another team’s hat, and doing body shots on South Beach.

I think that the 49ers will regret this, especially when they start losing the Willis, Bowman, Smith, and others on their team.

Anyone remember Big Ben?

Honestly i don't see this as too strange. This is about the range you pay a decent starting QB these days that can be termed "franchise" caliber. about 17-18M a year with about half guaranteed is fairly ballpark really.

Kaepernick has done some things that rub people the wrong way. He hasn't done anything that's actually wrong, or anything, but you know how people are.
He is a punk and he is selfish that is what turns people off about him.

He is a punk and he is selfish that is what turns people off about him.

You know basically nothing about him, so calling him a punk is stupid. Also, he just took a deal that will be an undermarket deal if he becomes the QB his team seemingly thinks he will. That's certainly not selfish.

You know basically nothing about him, so calling him a punk is stupid. Also, he just took a deal that will be an undermarket deal if he becomes the QB his team seemingly thinks he will. That's certainly not selfish.
Under market value? At best he is 12th best starting QB in the NFL, what do you value that rank at?

As far as the punk comment goes this article is spot on in my opinion.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/13/felger-to-colin-kaepernick-dude-youre-not-that-cool/

Under market value? At best he is 12th best starting QB in the NFL, what do you value that rank at?

Come on, man. Start by reading my post rather than commenting blindly about it:

Also, he just took a deal that will be an undermarket deal if he becomes the QB his team seemingly thinks he will.

As far as the punk comment goes this article is spot on in my opinion.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/13/felger-to-colin-kaepernick-dude-youre-not-that-cool/

I don't give a damn what Felger writes, says or thinks. He's the biggest troll in New England sports.

Try actually reading my post rather than commenting blindly about it:

I don't give a damn what Felger writes, says or thinks. He's the biggest troll in New England sports.

I read your post but I still don't see how what they think he can be and his contract signed compared to market value translate. If he does turn out to be as good as they may hope what is to say Collin won't hold out and demand more money? He took every cent he could get right now.

I read your post but I still don't see how what they think he can be and his contract signed compared to market value translate.

Sure you do. The de-escalators make it easy to see.

If he does turn out to be as good as they may hope what is to say Collin won't hold out and demand more money? He took every cent he could get right now.

His contract is that of a better than average QB, but not of an elite QB. He clearly did not take every cent he could get right now, and he clearly left the 49ers the opportunity to cut bait without major financial loss. He also has those de-escalators, which require him to achieve goals in order to make his full amount.

La Canfora breaks it down:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...rent-story-than-those-bashing-kaepernick-deal

Last edited:
Missed you my friend. Your posts are spot on as usual: Fair and balanced. Here are some good articles and a video on Colin.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000124487/What-s-with-Kaepernick-s-tattoos

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutd...comparison-is-totally-off-base-182213225.html.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/11/29/49ers-colin-kaepernick-tattoo-criticism-sporting-news/1736671/

Last edited:
Deus, you are wrong...Genius6 isn't talking about Colin Kaepernick...he's referring to COLLIN Kaepernick, who I assume is a giant douchebag according to the always veracious and trustworthy Genius6..

what is to say Collin won't hold out and demand more money?

Honestly i don't see this as too strange. This is about the range you pay a decent starting QB these days that can be termed "franchise" caliber. about 17-18M a year with about half guaranteed is fairly ballpark really.

I agree with you entirely, and point this out everytime we see these QBs in the 14-16-18 range get new deals. This is what the going rate is these days, as it pertains to the position of starting QB; particularly one who has led his team to conference championship/SB appearances.

I probably would have waited another year to make this deal myself from the 49ers' standpoint, but other than that, I think the money range is in line with most of the other QBs that we've been seeing recently.

2001:

RB: Antowain Smith/Redmond
TE: Jermaine Wiggins
WR: Troy Brown, David Patten

2003-2004:

RB: Antowain Smith/Faulk then Corey Dillon/Faulk
TE: Daniel Graham/Fauria
WR: Branch, Brown, Givens

Kaepernick would have been booed off the field with that "talent."

Also, you give Tannehill a top 5 OL rather than an OL that could get him killed and yes, I would take him over Kaepernick.

Obviously San Francisco has a good team around him which helps, but you could say the same for Russell Wilson (who I think is amazing). I don't think either of those guys could do what Brady did, but that doesn't mean they're not franchise QBs who deserve to be paid accordingly.

There is one way to tell just how much of an impact Kaep had on the 49ers, and that's to look at the same supporting cast with a different QB. Alex Smith started the first 9 games of 2012 before getting injured and opening the door for Kaep. If we throw out the 9th start (where both Smith and Kaep played), we can view how the team did with both. It's not a perfect comparison, and any season view will have a small sample size, but there was definitely an impact.

Smith as starter: Offense 23.6, Defense 21.3
Kaep as starter: Offense: 26.3, Defense 20.9

The offense improved by an average of 2.7 points, which doesn't sound like much, but in today's tight NFL, it's significant. That point differential would put San Fran near the top of the list, where the top 6 teams made the play-offs, 5 as division winners (the only team not to win the division was Seattle, which finished a half game behind San Francisco). 2.7 points is the general gap between a division winner and a wildcard, or a wildcard (like the Bengals) or just missing (Steelers 8-8, Saints 7-9).

Blah blah blah numbers. But let's talk about when it matters, the play-offs. He beat Aaron Rodgers, he beat Matt Ryan in his house, and was a pass interference call away from winning a Super Bowl in his first playing season. He would then go on the road to beat Rodgers, beat Newton at his place, and only lose by 6 in Seattle to the eventual champs in the toughest road venue in the league. He's 4-2 in the play-offs, his team averages 27.8 PPG, he's won on the road and beaten Super Bowl contenders.

But you're seriously going to take Tannehill over him if he gets an upgraded OL? Come on, let's be serious. Even the Dolphins aren't sold on him. They would absolutely trade Tannehill and at least a 1st if there was even a remote chance of it happening. If you truly believe that Tannehill is better than Kaep, you would be the first, including Tannehill.

He beat Aaron Rodgers, he beat Matt Ryan in his house, and was a pass interference call away from winning a Super Bowl in his first playing season. He would then go on the road to beat Rodgers, beat Newton at his place

Kaepernick can play a big part in beating a defense but he cannot beat another QB, he doesn't play QBs, the 49ers defense does.

Sure you do. The de-escalators make it easy to see.

His contract is that of a better than average QB, but not of an elite QB. He clearly did not take every cent he could get right now, and he clearly left the 49ers the opportunity to cut bait without major financial loss. He also has those de-escalators, which require him to achieve goals in order to make his full amount.

La Canfora breaks it down:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...rent-story-than-those-bashing-kaepernick-deal
Kaepernick has the sixth highest APY of any QB in the NFL. Only Rodgers, Ryan, Brees, Manning, and Flacco have a higher APY than him, three of those five players have won a MVP.

Did you listen to the recording in the article you linked in your post? The reporter was not supportive of the Kaepernick contract at all, he was actually against it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back