PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sergio Brown's EFT Sports Performance NFL Pro Day Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting safety: Sergio Brown?

Am I the only one seeing this and finding it a bit, troubling? I've got Chung penciled in, but who's our other starter. Here's who we have left on the roster who could play safety:

Chung, Brown, Ihedigbo, Barrett, Dowling.

If Brown doesn't play safety, then that leaves either Barrett or Dowling. I think Ihedigbo is a special teamer until proven otherwise. Dowling would be a conversion project and Barrett is an unknown quantity as well. Either BB is REALLY confident in Sergio Brown or we're going to see a Eugene Wilson type conversion of Dowling at safety. But this worries me starting a rookie at S in his first season in the bigs. Anybody else feeling unsettles about the safety position? It's looking like either Brown or Dowling right now. Or pray for a veteran pickup after week 1.

Last edited:
Re: Starting safety: Sergio Brown?

At least Wilson was here for a full offseason.

Even then, he did not start the first game.

I suppose we're going to have a rotation of Chung, Brown and Barrett at S, with Dowling maybe in goal line situations like against the Giants.

I'm thinking we're all in with Sergio Brown. Apparently there's something there that Belichick seems to like. He was taking reps with the ones as early as 3 weeks ago, IIRC.

He seemed to do okay last yr in limited reps, so maybe BB feels as though he can continue to make strides. We'll never know until he's out there, so I do expect a learning curve. Then again, maybe the contingency plan is to pick up a vet after week one if he does not seem to get it, but I have a feeling that Brown will be the guy.

Good video. He really doesn't look that special physically. Hopefully he plays more smart then fast.

Yes, I find it troubling. We'll have to see what happens.

I thought he played fairly well in spot play as a rookie, he could make a nice second year jump.

I thought he played fairly well in spot play as a rookie, he could make a nice second year jump.

Certainly not out of the question. Stranger things have happened.

I think we're all scared b/c he's not someone who we are familiar with, but he may surprise us.

Get Rodney out of the studio with Egghead Dungy and get him out of retirement,he could still play better than what appears to be several scrubs at Safety.

Get Rodney out of the studio with Egghead Dungy and get him out of retirement,he could still play better than what appears to be several scrubs at Safety.

But I wouldn't want Dungy as a Patriot ;)

Torchio Brown

Torchio Brown

Haha, wow, clever name bro!

I actually think it's more likely to be Barrett, but we shall see.

I also believe it is more likely to be Barrett. The uncertainty is the injury situation and limited on-field time - two pre-season quarters in the past year and a half. I think Barrett offers more upside.

Brown, by contrast, played in this defense last year. While Barrett was injured, he was getting playing time, both last year and this pre-season. However, as soon as Barrett was healthy, he started in the last pre-season game.

I think we'll see Dowling in there at some point at safety. Brown, Barrett, and even Chung imo are all in the box type safeties. Coverage is not their strong point. Expect to see a lot of seam routes to challenge the safeties over the top. Hopefully BB will already have a plan in place.

Last edited:
Why were these two threads merged?

Haha, wow, clever name bro!

I actually think it's more likely to be Barrett, but we shall see.

It has a nice ring to it. I'm going to start calling him Torchio from now on, good or bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye