Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sergei "glass Joe" Samsanov traded

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Buddylove, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Buddylove

Buddylove Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bruins left winger Sergei Samsonov has been traded to the Edmonton Oilers, according to The Sports Network. The Bruins have not confirmed the transaction. The players coming to Boston in return were not named.
  2. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

Marty Reasoner, Yan Statsny, and a 2nd. Reasoner's decent, Statsny's a decent prospect (3rd-4th line ceiling), and a 2nd always helps. Not bad return for a rental, really, though I was hoping MOC could get Marc Antoine Pouliot at least, or Raffi Torres or Rob Schremp as a pipe dream.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The jerk from Buffalo has to die sooner or later and then we have a shot at getting a professional Hockey team back. Danny Ainge may be incompetant; but at least he's trying. God do I miss the Bruins.
  5. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

How many more frigging centers do the Bruins need? JESUS that trade is DUMB.

I wish the Bruins would get a REAL GM and OWNER. I wish Harry Sinden would just RETIRE and fade away. Until that happens, the Bruins won't ever be in contention. And its sad.
  6. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

At this point, they made the smart deal. If you haven't been paying attention, the Bruins have a very good, but very young core with Bergeron (setting the world on fire), and his linemates Boyes and Sturm (the old man of the group at 27, remember the name? Got him for Thornton), Stuart (another Thornton trade asset) and Boynton at 25 on defense (as well as Andrew Alberts and Milan Jurcina, just over 20), and Hannu Toivonen in goal at 22 (Raycroft wasn't traded either, though I suspect he'll be moved on draft day, or next year). The problem is a weak system outside of two defensemen who could be 3-4s in the NHL someday (Stuart and Lashoff). Wayne Primeau (the final part of the Thornton deal), Tim Thomas (kept them in the playoff hunt for awhile), PJ Axelsson (one of the best defensive forwards in the game, though he can't finish to save his life) and a few other veterans will help develop these players.

The Bruins are in a rebuilding stage. They should have been since the beginning of the season, but Jacobs always cares about the bottom line rather than fielding a truly competitive team. Sure, he wants them to make the playoffs for extra TV revenues and gate sales, but the team is built for an early exit rather than a Cup run. One problem is that they still have completely useless Alexei Zhamnov taking up a few million a year and Muzz, who's still solid at times but isn't the same without Joe centering for him, for four million a year for the next 2 years. It's doubtful they would have retained Sammy next year anyways, since he is an UFA this summer, along with Leetch, who also should've been moved at this deadline for whatever they could've got for him in picks or prospects. The Thornton trade was excellent in retrospect (I always thought he was overrated, B's needed a new direction) and this Samsonov trade, while not ideal, could still work out. Samsonov, for all his tricks and moves, could never finish like he should have been able to (and can't score in a shootout for his life) and like Joe didn't show up on some days. Reasoner is a BC boy (I hate MOC's love affair with local players) who has never really done much in the pros and he's 28 so his upside may be gone, but he's a UFA after this season so it doesn't really matter since he's got about 20 games in a Bruins uniform to audition for a paying job with someone next year. He'll center a line with Czerkawski replacing Sammy and Murray at right wing, freeing up Primeau to play on a very nice checking line with Langfeld and Axelsson.

Really, this season is pretty much over. Mathematically, they're still in it, but barring a complete collapse by the Habs, this season's in the bag. They got a prospect and a pick to let the Oilers rent Sammy, and while it wasn't one of the prospects I'd want, Stastny isn't too bad (he's already been in the B's system). I wish they had moved Leetch for a pick (probably a 4th, but anything would've been okay because it would have allowed Alberts to move into a top 6 role and stop dressing as a wing). Raycroft will be moved eventually since Thomas still has a good 5 or 6 years left assuming he is resigned (he is an UFA) and Toivonen looks like a top 5 goalie for years to come, but his value right now is very low and they do best waiting until the summer or next year to make a deal that could net a much better return than anything they'd have made this year, especially with all the goalies moving at the deadline already. Right now, MOC should hope he still has a job next year and focus on extending Toivonen, Raycroft (or letting him become a RFA, then trading his rights on draft day), Bergeron, Boyes, Boynton, and possibly Tanabe.

With some special young players on the roster, this team could be really good in a few years, just like the Celtics. Their one problem right now are weak prospects outside of Stuart, Lashoff, Kalus, Krejci, and Karsums (Stuart is in Providence, Lashoff and the three K's are still in juniors), none of whom project as stars, though Stuart could be a solid stay at home defenseman like Boynton and Lashoff a good offensive defenseman. Stastny gives them another decent forward prospect with pedigree (his father is Peter Stastny) to go along with Kalus, Krejci and Karsums, though the upcoming draft is pretty weak outside of the top 7 or so players so the pick doesn't mean much. Don't be surprised if Raycroft and the extra 2's from this trade and for comp for Lars Jonsson are used to make a big deal to move up on draft day and get a top forward like Peter Mueller. Also, with tons of cap space to work with, they will likely be big players in free agency. Hello, Zdeno Chara or Wade Redden? How about Simon Gagne?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  7. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Terrible trade. Brendand Witt gets a good prospect and a 1st, but we can only get dregs and a 2nd for Sammy. Blech.
  8. bevster

bevster PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am calling from Edmonton and I think that you guys got hosed in this deal. The draft pick is a pure shot in the dark. Yan will provide depth on your farm team and Reasoner is unrestricted after this season.

Give your GM my regards.
  9. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not only is this trade miserable, we didn't even trade Leetch! Ridiculous.
  10. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

The more I think about it and the more I look at trades at the deadline, the more I don't like it. Reasoner's a UFA and this gives us Sergei's money to use on free agents, but... Freisen was worth a 2nd rounder and he's had all of 3 pts all season in about 10 games. Witt is worthless but was worth a 1st and a good prospect. Sammy was worth a pending FA who can't play, a 2nd, and our old trash. I heard Reasoner, a pick, and a non-roster player and I figured it has to be Schremp. Nope, it was Stastny. Oh well. MOC should be fired anyways.
  11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Denis Gauthier got TWO 2nds and a prospect! Ugh.
  12. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Dana Reeve's dies from lung cancer and never smoked a cigarette in her life and Jeremy Jacobs can't get alzheimer's. I hate that smug, pocket stuffing schmuck! Sinden and O'conners suck. How the hell does a team that had a 4 million dollar commitment at the beginning of the year end up this bad not to mention trading their best two players. F%cking A!
  13. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

O'Connell was in the booth for tonight's game, and pretty much admitted his thought process was, "I'm getting three players, and I only have to give up one? What a steal!"
  14. qmjhlpei

qmjhlpei Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What a terrible trade.First we trade Thorton,now Samsonov.It all comes down to Harry Sinden,he has done no good for the team.Kiss the last playoff spot goodbye boys.

I'm mad.I have been watching the bruins my entire life,and we can never get it done.This is a part of the reason why....poor management. :mad:
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

For the remainder of the JJ era...Joe Thornton will be the last superstar to play for the Bruins. Anyone who approaches that status and is in the last year of their contract will be gone.

We have effectively been rebuilding since the Cam Neely days. Our only hope to go far in the playoffs is to strike gold in the draft 2 years in a row...and it has to be in a row or forget it.

I once again blame the fans for allowing this to happen. Before the strike they were disappearing and now a good amount of them are back. A boycott of the games where there are less than 5000 fans would be a great sight...screwing JJ is the only pain that wakes him up.
  16. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I am for anything that screws that old bastard. We have the same management team we had in 88, what have the Bruins done in the last 30+ years? We finally beat Montreal in 88 just to earn a beating from Edmonton and then again in 90 other then that they have done jacksh!t. Sinden, Oconner all of them need to go not to mention the revolving door we have had at the coaching position the last several years. I would like to see Ray come back into the fold either coaching (and I don't mean "consulting" or whatever the hell he is doing now) or as the GM.
  17. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

18. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

Because Joe wasn't going to succeed in Boston. This team needs a guy who could show up in the playoffs (a 19 year old Bergeron showed up last postseason, a 25 year old Thornton did not) and did not seem to be floating around at times. Samsonov has been hurt alot and, for a supposed elite sniper, never seemed to be able to find a scorer's touch in Boston. He also needed a speedy center, something he never really had... well until now. Now he has Marty Reasoner... ah cripes...

The bad thing wasn't that they were traded, but rather what they were traded for. Joe netted some good but not great players (though Stuart has the potential to be a number 1 defenseman if he ever lives up to it) and Samsonov got a pick in a weak draft (giving us two second rounders assuming Lars Jonsson is never signed), our old trash (so, technically the 4th we got for him and Isbister, who would be fine if he wasn't hurt all the time), and an enigma in Marty Reasoner (who has managed 26 points playing garbage time with Georges Laraque and some faceless scrub on his wings, which is fairly impressive given the circumstances) who is a UFA this postseason anyways. MOC has turned two top 10 picks (including number 1 overall) in the 1997 draft into Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau, Brad Isbister, Marty Reasoner, and a 2nd and a 4th in a weak draft (the 4th being what we got from the Oilers a year ago for Stastny, and Isbister costing us a 4th). He could've done alot better. Had waited alot longer to trade Joe, probably up until the deadline, we could have some team's first round picks from here until the end of time and the top 3 prospects in their organization.

Still, we're looking at a top 10 (around 7 or 8) pick in this year's draft, with the potential to go higher thanks to the lottery and ammo with which to trade up. Bryan Little, Peter Mueller, Jordan Staal are all possibilities. Combine that guy with Bergeron, Boyes, Stuart, Jurcina, Alberts, and Toivonen, and we have the start of a nice little young core to build around. You can even throw Lashoff and Mark Stuart into that, but who knows how they'll turn out.

The real problem has been poor drafts. Martin Samuelsson and Lars Jonsson... note to management: NO MORE SWEDES.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  19. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This team will not win as long as O'Connell, Sinden, and Jacobs are running things, plain and simple.
  20. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

Jacobs is a problem that we really can't do anything about, however he has made it clear that it is his money he is putting in and he does want results. Jacobs, for the raw deal he gets from us, really isn't the biggest problem (and all our rants are a whole lot of wasted air, seeing as how ownership is something that won't change). If the bottom line starts to go, then MOC and Sinden go. Or at least, MOC, and then Sinden has to worry about his legacy. There was a time when Sinden was dedicated to fielding a competitive team, maybe we can find those times again. MOC has to go, though. Something tells me he won't, unfortunately.
  21. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you believe that, how can you say JJ's not a problem? MOC shouldn't have had a chance to screw up the trading deadline this bad. He should've been fired long ago. This organization sucks, and it starts at the top. MOC is just a symptom of the system.
  22. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

Blame Sinden, then. Jacobs defers to Sinden on hockey matters, since his realm is merely financial. It's easy to point fingers at JJ but if you look at it, Sinden is the real problem in that case. Sure, the organization would be a hundred times better with a different owner, but ownership is one thing that really is immutable.
  23. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I do.

For which I'll blame Jacobs.

As if that isn't the be-all, end-all of the organization. Of course, it was Jacobs who led the hardline stance against the NHLPA, and decided it was better to pay in tomorrow's dollars after the new CBA, opting to let key players leave. Those rollbacked contracts for Knuble and Nylander sure would've been sweet. It's also a shame there were such bad contract disputes with Raycroft and Boynton. Wonder how much that hurt the team.

Extremely.

Yet he keeps his job...

But I can still complain about it.
  24. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As far as ownership not changing is concerned, I take the long view. Jacobs is a good 30 years older than me so if there's any kind of god in heaven, I've got 30 years of post-Jacobs Bruins hockey to look forward too. If only he could get run over by a truck or something tomorow.
  25. Danny

Danny Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I thought I'd let you guys know how well Samsonov has fit in with the Oilers. I'm sure some of you saw him set up Horcoff's OT winner against Calgary last week; he makes something happen every time he touches the puck.

Tonight against Vancouver, he assisted on the only Oilers goal and was easily the best Oiler out there. :rocker:
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006