PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl weigh-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlhtswts.html

Philip Wheeler weighs in at 245 lbs and ripped. I am a big fan of Wheeler and the fact he is 245 means he is definitely on my Patriot radar.

I am also a big fan of Gosder Cherilus, who IMO is underrated for a few bad performances. He has the biggest hands and longest arms in the class. (I like Gosder as an NFL Right Tackle).

Beau Bell weighs in at 6'1.5" 243. Good size. Tavares Gooden came in at 6'1.1" 231, a bit small.

Last edited:
i loved hearing that Keith Rivers weighted in at 237. People thought he was 225 if not little lower. Great news and i read he was very ripped. Looked like he had muscle on top of muscle Mr. Olympia like :O

considering he may be the most athletic and fastest LB who can cover and do everything. Hes on my radar for #7

nfldraftcountdown.com has the list and some notes on the build

Sedrick Ellis was listed 285-290 on most sites but he came in at 308 i think and he could really give Dorsey a run for his money. Ellis is a monster DT..hes very quick. Hes a little short for DE in our system though but kid is gonna be amazing. Not only did his weight impress..but he is destroying double teams in practice and is explosive

our BC corner is getting burned a lot and measured in @ 5"8 a and a half. Not good.

Cherrilous however is locking onto defenders and preventing them from getting to QB

Beau Bell from ULNV bit dissapointed. CAme in at great weight at 243 but he looked somewhat out of shape and looked bad in the drills.

Last edited:
Philip Wheeler weighs in at 245 lbs and ripped. I am a big fan of Wheeler and the fact he is 245 means he is definitely on my Patriot radar.

My radar also.

I am also a big fan of Gosder Cherilus, who IMO is underrated for a few bad performances. He has the biggest hands and longest arms in the class. (I like Gosder as an NFL Right Tackle).
His hands are almost a foot.

In the past, BB has made some positive statements about BC offensive Linemen. Wonder if Cherilus is a target?

---

Sedrick Ellis was listed 285-290 on most sites but he came in at 308 i think and he could really give Dorsey a run for his money. Ellis is a monster DT..hes very quick. Hes a little short for DE in our system though but kid is gonna be amazing. Not only did his weight impress..but he is destroying double teams in practice and is explosive.

How do you feel about another DT - Trevor Laws of ND? Similar in size to Ellis. Impressed when I've seen him.

About the no-shows...
disappointed they'll be no practice reports on C.Long, Groves, and Steltz. Really wanted to see them vs this level of competition.

What's up with TE Brad Cottam from Tenn?

How is he playing? 6'7.5", 271, runs a sub 4.75. In limited action, due to a bad wrist injury, he broke off a big percentage of long plays per reception. 3 or 4 time SEC academic all-American.

From what I gather, he is a great blocker. His limited evidence in receiving shows promise while his size is near OL-material.

Expected to go in the 4th-5th, his stock is supposedly rising. Anybody have any info?

Shawn Crable wow 6-5 and 241 whats the problem with this guy?

I know he has a ton of power and height two things Belichick loves. But the knack on him is that he doesnt react fast enough?

Shawn Crable wow 6-5 and 241 whats the problem with this guy?

I know he has a ton of power and height two things Belichick loves. But the knack on him is that he doesnt react fast enough?

Has the ability and potential -- just may need to be coached up. Don't know if he can be...:confused:

i loved hearing that Keith Rivers weighted in at 237. People thought he was 225 if not little lower. Great news and i read he was very ripped. Looked like he had muscle on top of muscle Mr. Olympia like :O

considering he may be the most athletic and fastest LB who can cover and do everything. Hes on my radar for #7

nfldraftcountdown.com has the list and some notes on the build

Sedrick Ellis was listed 285-290 on most sites but he came in at 308 i think and he could really give Dorsey a run for his money. Ellis is a monster DT..hes very quick. Hes a little short for DE in our system though but kid is gonna be amazing. Not only did his weight impress..but he is destroying double teams in practice and is explosive

our BC corner is getting burned a lot and measured in @ 5"8 a and a half. Not good.

Cherrilous however is locking onto defenders and preventing them from getting to QB

Beau Bell from ULNV bit dissapointed. CAme in at great weight at 243 but he looked somewhat out of shape and looked bad in the drills.

I like Ellis more than Dorsey too. I don;t think either one has the height for the Pats' system though. I am intrigued now by LB Rivers. He's shorter than listed but at a sleek 237 lbs, has size potential. These Lbers usually put on 10 lbs their 1st 2 seasons in the NFL as they go through the NFL strength programs.

Is there any confirmation of these weights from another site? I remember some different weights than those reported at GBN from the scroll on the NFLN yesterday.

I'm quite sure, for example, that Beau Bell was 6'2" 250 lbs on the NFLN scroll yesterday.

Demario Pressley was 6'4" 298 lbs. Not all that different, but enough to make you question whether their reporting is accurate.

Is there any confirmation of these weights from another site? I remember some different weights than those reported at GBN from the scroll on the NFLN yesterday.

I'm quite sure, for example, that Beau Bell was 6'2" 250 lbs on the NFLN scroll yesterday.

Demario Pressley was 6'4" 298 lbs. Not all that different, but enough to make you question whether their reporting is accurate.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/08SBM.htm

Pressley measured 6'3 2/8'' 300 lbs.

Here's food for thought:

If Sedrick Ellis drops to us at 7, I could see BB drafting this kid for two reasons:

1. Fantastic Value at 7

2. Flexibility to play a 4-3 and play him inside next to Wilfork as the inside DT's as well as Wilfork's down the road replacement after 09 if they can't get Big Vince signed long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think USC has produced mature NFL talent at any position in the Carroll era. Although Ellis may be a stud workout warrior and a potentially disruptive force, his lack of height and immaturity(See Bush, White, Udeze, Byrd, Jarrett, Williams, Rucker, Cody, Patterson) Although some top-level names come out, I question the dedication of players schooled in the Carroll system, which even in itself operates on completely different priorities than the "Belicheck Way."

I saw Ellis play in the bowl game and he was doubled all game long. And while Mendenhall rushed for a ton of yardage, I don't remember that much being up the gut.

Here's food for thought:

If Sedrick Ellis drops to us at 7, I could see BB drafting this kid for two reasons:

1. Fantastic Value at 7

2. Flexibility to play a 4-3 and play him inside next to Wilfork as the inside DT's as well as Wilfork's down the road replacement after 09 if they can't get Big Vince signed long term.

Paying a rookie 4M per or whatever the rate is for #7 = NO VALUE.

Im ready to choose Rivers or McKelvin.

Rivers at 237. tremendous speed and athletism, hits hard, covers well and he is a vocal leader.

McKelvin jumps routes great but doesnt make the catch (case of Meriweather hands) but hes got terrific footwork, great change of direction and good speed..Mayock said he didnt see him miss a single tackle in all the film he watched on him

Im ready to choose Rivers or McKelvin.

Rivers at 237. tremendous speed and athletism, hits hard, covers well and he is a vocal leader.

McKelvin jumps routes great but doesnt make the catch (case of Meriweather hands) but hes got terrific footwork, great change of direction and good speed..Mayock said he didnt see him miss a single tackle in all the film he watched on him

I've got to see the combine #s before I agree. Rivers looks fantastic, but as for McKelvin... I don't think I can pick a cb that high with marginal ball skills. A cb in the top 10 should be a playmaker, not just a cover guy. That's why Asante Samuel is better than Terence Newman, despite the fact Newman has better movement skills (yes, I realize Newman had an OK year as a playmaker, but his history has been sub-par making plays on the ball).

Last edited:
I've got to see the combine #s before I agree. Rivers looks fantastic, but as for McKelvin... I don't think I can pick a cb that high with marginal ball skills. A cb in the top 10 must be a playmaker, not just a cover guy. That's why Asante Samuel is better than Terence Newman, despite the fact Newman has better movement skills (yes, I realize Newman had an OK year as a playmaker, but his history has been sub-par making plays on the ball).

Terrence Newman was a top #5 overall pick in 2003 draft....Asante Samuel was a 4th Rd pick with marginal speed and cover skills and we saw his Merriweather hands the first 2 yrs

You are contradicting your own statement about top 10 CB having to be a playmaker.

Logan Mankins was rated as a 3rd rounder. Pats drafted him in 1st Rd.

The 2nd RD is where pats braintrust has consistently laid an egg outside of Deion Branch

Terrence Newman was a top #5 overall pick in 2003 draft....Asante Samuel was a 4th Rd pick with marginal speed and cover skills and we saw his Merriweather hands the first 2 yrs

You are contradicting your own statement about top 10 CB having to be a playmaker.

Logan Mankins was rated as a 3rd rounder. Pats drafted him in 1st Rd.

The 2nd RD is where pats braintrust has consistently laid an egg outside of Deion Branch

My point was that Newman SHOULD NOT have been taken in the top 10.

Last edited:
What the hell are you babbling about? My obvious point, which you failed to grasp, is that Newman SHOULD NOT have been taken in the top 10.

Why shouldn't he have. He's been great for the Cowboys. Perhaps the best corner in the NFC over the past three seasons. If you guaranteed me a Terence Newman at #7, I'd take it every time. There's no point having ball skills if teams don't throw to your side. And Newman has decent ball skills anyways.

Why shouldn't he have. He's been great for the Cowboys. Perhaps the best corner in the NFC over the past three seasons. If you guaranteed me a Terence Newman at #7, I'd take it every time. There's no point having ball skills if teams don't throw to your side. And Newman has decent ball skills anyways.

I disagree. Over the past 5 seasons teams have thrown at Newman with impunity, because they've had no fear of him picking off passes due to his marginal ball skills. This season was Newman's 1st premier season, but that hardly justifies a top 5 pick. He has been very overrated because he plays for the Cowboys. NFC cbs Woodson, Barber, Shepherd, Vasher etc. have all been more effective players than Newman because they have a track record of making plays on the ball. That makes QBs reluctant to risk throwing at them. Without putting that fear in the Qb you are not a "shutdown" cb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes