Senior Bowl: Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some eary notes on the Senior Bowl practice from Scouts Inc.:

- "A pair of defensive linemen are looking good so far today. Michigan DE/OLB Brandon Graham showed an explosive first step during individual drills and Penn State DT Jared Odrick clearly had the best straight-line speed during sprints."

- "Pittsburgh TE Dorin ****erson is looking much more comfortable working on the outside today than he did earlier in the week. He made a nice move to shake Virginia CB Chris Cook after a catch and get to the end zone."

Scouts Inc.: Day 4 at the Senior Bowl is a big one for the special teams phase of the game. - ESPN

I wouldn't mind us drafting Graham. Wanted Woodley from Michigan before. He seems to show the leadership and the tenacity that this defense sorely lacks

I wouldn't mind us drafting Graham. Wanted Woodley from Michigan before. He seems to show the leadership and the tenacity that this defense sorely lacks

Graham is rising fast!

Graham is rising fast!

And after people slept on woodley.. they're not gonna miss out on Graham now. The more he likens himself to Woodley the better off he is.

woodley ran a 4.7-4.75 so if Graham can beat that, he could push himself into the 1st if he hasn't already

Last edited:
The two guys listed there are at the top of my list of guys I want to see wearing the flying elvis. If we could get both I'd be esctatic.

Some buzz from TFYdraft:

- "What will the Seattle Seahawks do with the 14th pick of round one? The word at the Senior Bowl is Pete Carroll loves his former USC star Taylor Mays yet the scouting staff really does not think Mays can handle the safety position at the next level, even in the Seahawks defense. In his press conference yesterday South coach Tony Sparano alluded to something we’ve said all week; Mays cannot play outside the numbers. It will be interesting to see how the situation unfolds."

- "Another player who’s helped himself with a terrific week of practice in Mobile is TCU linebacker Daryl Washington. The consensus is Washington is the superior athlete of any linebacker from both teams and one of the few true three down players at the position." Washington weighed in at only 226 lbs., but has apparently played well all week.

- "Scouts have also like what they’ve witnessed from Javier Arenas. Most feel he’ll run well at the combine and will be selected in the 3rd/4th round area."

- "Close sources have told us the Green Bay Packers will concentrate cornerbacks and offensive tackles in April’s draft. Specifically they will be looking for smaller, quick corners."

Senior Bowl Buzz: Thursday

- "Close sources have told us the Green Bay Packers will concentrate cornerbacks and offensive tackles in April’s draft. Specifically they will be looking for smaller, quick corners."

Senior Bowl Buzz: Thursday

Very interesting and could signal a change in style for the Green Bay defense. Small quick CB's are a BB specialty.

Some notes from Wes Bunting at National Football Post:

- "South Florida safety Nate Allen has been impressive this week. Not only does he display good instincts and ball skills in coverage, he also possesses by far the best footwork of any safety on the South. Allen looks fluid when asked to get out of his breaks and does a nice job getting up to speed quickly. He’s very quietly been one of the most impressive prospects here."

USC S Taylor Mays
- "USC’s Taylor Mays continued to struggle generating any kind of burst when asked to click and close and routinely getting high in his drop and being forced to gather himself in coverage. On top of that, he lacks the type of instincts needed to consistently get good jumps on the ball and always looks to be playing from behind. If I had my choice between Mays and Allen at this stage, my pick would be Allen."

- "I haven’t been the biggest fan of LSU’s Ciron Black this season, but I did come away impressed with his performance Wednesday when he lined up some at guard. He exhibited good power at the point of attack, looked smooth through contact and did a nice job staying on blocks. I never considered Black to be a legitimate left tackle prospect, but the brief preview we got of him at guard was promising."

- "Another guy who flashed at another position Wednesday was Troy defensive end Cameron Sheffield, who got some time at linebacker during one-on-one coverage drills and surprisingly showed well. He was fluid when asked to change directions, maintained his balanced and generated a good closing burst toward the football. Plus, the fact that he possesses the first step needed to rush the passer makes me think Sheffield could end up being a contributing 3-4 OLB."

- "Unfortunately for South Florida’s George Selvie, he wasn’t nearly as impressive as Sheffield in coverage. Selvie looked stiff and was absolutely out of his element in space. He also hasn’t faired real well generating pressure off the edge all week and looks little more than a reserve-type lineman at the next level."

- "It’s obvious when watching Tennessee defensive tackle Dan Williams that the man is one powerful individual. He’s consistently able to overwhelm opposing linemen on contact and generates a great deal of power from his lower half. However, he hasn’t quite had the type of week many expected. He’s not a guy who is overly explosive off the snap and doesn’t do a good job using his hands to disengage from blocks inside. I’m not saying that there isn’t a place for him in the NFL, but I don’t think he’s worthy of being graded out as an impact-caliber defensive lineman."

- "He may be out of his element in coverage, but South Carolina outside linebacker Eric Norwood knows how to rush the passer. He was absolutely dominant Wednesday, beating running backs/fullbacks with ease in one-on-one drills, and I definitely seem him as a guy who can create pressure off the edge as a 3-4 rush linebacker."

- " Alabama offensive guard Mike Johnson isn’t the most physically imposing of lineman out there, but at 6-5 he plays with good leverage and can really stick to blocks through the play. He did a nice job maximizing his reach into blocks and can generate good power on his punch on contact. He grades out as a potential dirty starter at the next level."

Senior Bowl: Day 3 South impressions | National Football Post

- "Scouts have also like what they’ve witnessed from Javier Arenas. Most feel he’ll run well at the combine and will be selected in the 3rd/4th round area."
Yet more proof that I have no idea what makes a good NFL player. Watching Arenas for the last four years, I'd have said no later than the end of the 2nd round.

Yet more proof that I have no idea what makes a good NFL player. Watching Arenas for the last four years, I'd have said no later than the end of the 2nd round.

Have to agree with you there. Arenas can play, he's grand theft in the 4th round

Arenas is a phenomenal return man, but he's probably a career nickel CB. Does that translate to the 2nd round? I would have guessed 3rd/4th myself. His teammate Kareem Jackson, OTOH, should develop into a starting corner and has as much upside as any CB in this draft other than Joe Haden. I'd consider him a likely 2nd round pick based on that projection.

Thursday North practice report from Scott Wright at NFLdraftcountdown:

- "Oregon TE Ed ****son has looked good all week and that continued today. ****son showed a good burst in and out of cuts, soft hands and terrific leaping ability. In one drill they were working on back shoulder catches and the coach asked if ****son wanted something easy or more of a challenge. ****son took the challenge and came through with a real nice catch. As has been the case in almost every practice ****son also caught another touchdown today, this time against the athletic Daryl Washington on the goalline."

- "I still can’t get over how well Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington has looked this week. Today in drills he showed great feet and looked very smooth. Carrington made himself a lot of money this week." I can't wait to see how this guy times at the combine, and what his 3-cone and short shuttle are.

- "California DT Tyson Alualu moves very well for a big guy. I definitely noticed how fast and smooth he looked in drills."

- "Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard and Rutgers CB Devin McCourty had some good battles today. In a close one I’d give the slight edge to Gilyard but McCourty didn’t embarrass himself. In fact, today was probably McCourty’s best performance of the week and even when he gave up a catch he was right there with the wideout."

- "After putting on a show yesterday Wake Forest’s Brandon Ghee struggled at times today. In one-on-one drills in the redzone Ghee was toasted by Taylor Price and he just didn’t look good overall in that portion of the practice."

- "Notre Dame S Jared Odrick sure doesn’t look very natural in coverage."

- "Clemson WR Jacoby Ford has good ball skills for a smaller wideout. Boise State CB Kyle Wilson continued his battle with Jacoby Ford. On one play in 7-on-7’s he had excellent coverage and broke up a pass."

Draft Countdown's Senior Bowl Coverage - 1/28/10 North Practice Report

Carrington keeps showing up. He had the size to be a 3-4 DE but with the mobility they keep talking about he might just be a SOLB for us. He's definitely the little known riser out of this week, it would seem although a small school DE maybe switching to LB still strikes me as an unlikely Patriots pick. He excites me but, like Barwin last year, his background doesn't seem like a high Patriots pick to me - generally these position switchers are taken later by us with throwaway picks (like Slater and Edelman).

Thursday North practice recap from FootballsFuture.com:

- "It’s difficult to get a solid evaluation of the offensive line when they’re holding back on physicality, so just a few notes here today. Believe it or not, offensive guard Mike Iupati was out there covering kicks, which is a testament to his athleticism. Not only was this the most impressive feat I’ve witnessed all week, but it embodies what the Senior Bowl is about: players trying to show as much value and versatility to scouts. On the other side, Notre Dame offensive tackle Sam Young has been very disappointing not just today, but all week. He’s a high-effort player – the type you love to have on your team – but just doesn’t have the quick-twitch movements or power and leverage to be a good run blocker. Young has struggled all week to defend against faster pass-rushers and to move defenders in the run game."

- "Kyle Wilson had another terrific day. His size is a bit of an issue, but even without pads, he looks to get his hands on the receiver. He does a nice job mirroring them downfield and showed terrific ball skills. I’ve mentioned it before, but his football IQ always impresses me. Devin McCourty had some nice battles today and has quietly made some money this week. He can mirror receivers downfield and contest passes on the backend. Larry Asante did a nice job in one-on-one drills today. Brandon Ghee had only a so-so day and a so-so week in my opinion. Ghee has nice size and speed, but sometimes gives too much cushion and can be too aggressive at times."

2010 Senior Bowl: Thursday North Recap

Thursday (mistakenly labelled Wednesday) South practice report from FootballsFuture.com:

- "In a practice like today, it’s difficult to see running backs when the trenches are going closer to half speed. Dexter McCluster caught the ball well out of the backfield without bobbles and without breaking stride. He also worked out a little in fielding punts and kicks. He was used in a variety of ways, which once again included splitting out wide."

- "One of the feel good stories of this week has definitely been the return of Myron Rolle to football. Rolle has come back fresh and played as well as any safety in Mobile this week. While Mays has been receiving much of the attention, Rolle seems to have better hips, more quickness, and better overall fluidity, all even more impressive considering his size. Maybe he picked up a soccer ball over his time in England, but whatever he’s done to prepare for this week, Rolle has done a fine job and deserves to be drafted in the high middle rounds. Taylor Mays again looks tight in the hips, but that’s not his style of play. Mays is best suited as a deep safety who can come up and make the hit or attack the football. He admits that as he transitions to the NFL, he should learn to play the football rather than go for the big hit every time. Pads or no pads, Javier Arenas knows only one brand of football and that’s being physical. Perrish Cox has done a great job anticipating throws and breaking on the football early. He nearly had what would have been a pick six in a game. Patrick Robinson has been known for inconsistency and he showed that again today, though made many more positive plays than negative ones. Robinson was beat deep on that previously mentioned deep ball to Riley Cooper, but came back and nearly made the interception the play after. Later in the two-minute drill, he managed to actually make the interception off of a deflection.

2010 Senior Bowl: Thursday South Recap

I see my man from draftheadquarters has hooked up with RotoWorld for the Senior Bowl . . . anyway :

Live from the Senior Bowl

This is from Wednesday but I'm highlighting the Carrington, Iupati piece so I'm putting it here :

"Mike Iupati of Idaho was the story of the week down here. His huge from with long arms has scouts wondering if he can move out to tackle. He struggled at left tackle yesterday, but he was moved to right tackle today, and it was really a night-and-day difference. He looked like a stud at right tackle, handling Arkansas State's Alex Carrington and showing the power and strength needed to hold up at the point of attack. Iupati's best fit is at guard, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted to eventually develop into a right tackle."

An Iupati/Vollmer combo at Tackle for the next 5 years could be interesting.

Carrington keeps showing up. He had the size to be a 3-4 DE but with the mobility they keep talking about he might just be a SOLB for us. He's definitely the little known riser out of this week, it would seem although a small school DE maybe switching to LB still strikes me as an unlikely Patriots pick. He excites me but, like Barwin last year, his background doesn't seem like a high Patriots pick to me - generally these position switchers are taken later by us with throwaway picks (like Slater and Edelman).

If by high you mean a 2nd round pick, I agree with you - I think it would take a lot for Carrington to go that high. But I suspect he will slip back a bit. Jarron Gilbert (with whom I think Carrington compares favorably) was touted as a possible 1st round pick but slipped back to #68 in the 3rd. And Lawrence Sidbury was touted by some as moving up to the 2nd round last year, and ended up dropping back to the 4th round (#125). I see Carrington going somewhere in that range, which might be a reasonable gamble if we get some picks in the right vicinity.

Sorry, I forgot to add. One downside on Carrington is he has very short arms for his height - 31 3/8" at 6' 5 1/4" tall. In contrast, Jared Odrick had 34 1/4" arms at slightly less height (6' 5 1/8"). I'm not sure how much that would impact his play or his draft status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots