PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl Post Game Notes, My Latest Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
LetsGoPats36 said:
http://www.patsfans.com/section-300/node/85

... Enjoy. Like always, all feedback is wanted and appriciated
Nice write up, thanks for the hard work of trying to track everybody. I just finished watching the tape and should post my perspective here later today after I catch a nap and digest my notes. We'll have some disagreements which should liven things up. :D

A correction for you: Mathias Kiwanuka did not play due to injury. They did show him on the side line - low profile vice invisible. ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Nice write up, thanks for the hard work of trying to track everybody. I just finished watching the tape and should post my perspective here later today after I catch a nap and digest my notes. We'll have some disagreements which should liven things up. :D

A correction for you: Mathias Kiwanuka did not play due to injury. They did show him on the side line - low profile vice invisible. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, hurry up and put out your analysis so we can argue :)

You're right though, Kiwanuka was inactive, I can't believe I missed that.

LetsGoPats36 said:

Here ya go go pardner let the donnybrook begin! :D

Quarterback:

Fisher and Chow did a nice job of play calling to showcase Micheal Robinson’s abilities. There is enough raw talent there for teams such as Atlanta and Denver to take a late round flyer on a back-up QB who plays as erratically as their starters. I spent little effort watching QBs, but noticed Robinson because of what the play calling did to make watching the other positions more challenging. Croyle and Whitehurst helped themselves, Cutler showed enough to stay in the first round for a QB desperate team, e.g. Dolphins and Jets. None of the others are worth mentioning.

Runningback:

Again, not a position that drew much interest for me; a quick addition to Darren’s notes - for those looking for a RB I would add Terrence Whitehead (5’10†225) of Oregon. He looked like a power runner in the Dillon style, even popping outside and gaining the corner on one play.

Wide Receiver:

Moss was clearly the class of the receivers, with the speed and open field moves that had Norv Turner using him on reverses and quick hitches to get the ball in his hands. He was a useful gauge for the CB position. Maurice Stovall (Notre Dame), Jason Avant (Michigan), and Devin Aromashodu (Auburn) all earned notes on their blocking, Stovall and Avant also made some possession grabs to move the sticks. Ben Obomanu (Auburn) and Hank Baskett (New Mexico) each made one nice catch, Baskett’s a diving catch on a side line comeback for a low ball. They both had the dropsies on other occasions and need a lot of work. Demetrius Williams (Oregon) alligator arms. Derek Hagan (Arizona State) had some drops, but made a couple tough catches in the middle and held on despite taking a beating.

Tight Ends:

Byrd and Klopfenstein surprised with their blocking, and not just at the line. I would expect them to struggle with blocking the way Ben Watson did this year, but the will and ability is there to be molded. I don’t think Norv Turner and company did their TEs any favors in the game, especially leaving them alone on the edge pass blocking against Haralson, Hali, etc.

Offensive Tackle:

D’Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia) was beaten twice in pass protection on an inside move, he was saved by his guard once. His run blocking is suspect. Daryn Colledge (Boise State) was the most well rounded LT, showing a lot of hustle to get upfield and block for his runners. He made a bad play and showed tremendous hustle when he beat Micheal Robinson up the field on a delayed QB draw. It was bad because his ole’ on the DE did nothing to slow him and nearly cost a sack. Eric Winston (Miami) struggled, but the talent is there if his knee passes muster. He played better on the right side, but could do okay at left with good coaching and occasional help with a Dwight Freeney. He also showed balance in his game with decent run blocking and a nice next level play to extend his arms and keep Chad Greenway off balance enough to allow his QB to make the corner on a bootleg - that was a tackle for a loss otherwise and was a difficult open field block to make. Jonathan Scott (Texas) showed some ability as a swing tackle, he did better on the right side, but could handle the left with a little TE and RB help if needed. He did a decent job in run blocking too, earning a couple mentions in my notes for nice plays. Marcus McNeill (Auburn) is big and slow, he was eaten alive by the speed rushers. He will move inside to guard for some team that likes them big, strong, and immobile. Jeremy Trueblood (BC) struggled on the right side with speed rushers, but showed a lot of determination to stay with the block. He reminded me of Gorin with his feet, but a nastier attitude. Ryan O’Callaghan (California) also struggled with speed rushers, but did a decent job overall at RT. The surprise at RT was New Mexico center Ryan Cook who moved out there for a couple series. He was too high on the first series, but corrected it the next time around. He missed one blocking assignment to give Hali a freebe sack, but did okay overall once he adjusted his stance and adapted to the speed on the edge.

Offensive Guard:

358 pound Max Jean-Gilles of Georgia showed himself to be very athletic pulling to lead on one run off right tackle, even if he ignored S Anthony Smith camped on the line and subsequently making the tackle. He needs a good trainer who will sweat him down 20 pounds to build his endurance or he won’t last a whole season. He was consistently strong blocking inside and could be a late first round value if his attitude on weight loss and running checks out well. Charles Spencer (Pittsburgh) was used on several pulling plays by Norm Chow and acquitted himself well. For a 330 pounder he his fairly mobile. The announcers reported he was a tackle moved inside for the game so there is some versatility there. Davin Joseph (Oklahoma) was solid at RG. Mark Setterstrom (Minnesota) was solid at LG, saving Ferguson on the one pass play. They essentially made the South team’s DTs disappear for most of the game. Will Allen (Texas) also played well alongside his tackle Scott. From a Patriot perspective, Spencer’s ability to pull makes him the more attractive. Jean-Gilles is the more athletic of the two based on one pulling play, both will need to show some real dedication to fitness.

Center:

They hide too easily with the horrible TV camera angles. Ryan Cook was mentioned for his play at RT and seemd solid inside. Mike Degory (Florida) looked okay too. Nick Mangold (Ohio State) was clearly the cream of the crop in one-on-ones during the week and played well in the game. For the most part, all the centers get a passing grade because you barely noticed them - the primary standard for center play.

LetsGoPats36 said:

Round two!

Defensive End:

Daryl Tapp (Virginia Tech), Manny Lawson (NC State), Parys Haralson (Tennessee), Mark Anderson (Alabama), and Elvis Dumervil (Louisville) all showed skill sets that will translate to a 3-4 OLB. Lawson even covered Dominique Byrd in the flat on a bootleg play. Lawson really helped himself by showing a real knack for locating the ball. He needs to be better disciplined with his containment duties, but improved over the course of the game. Tapp is another Rosie Colvin, just a couple inches shorter. Dumervil really caught my eye when he beat what was essentially a double team to pressure the QB. Tamba Hali (Penn State) is a knuckle down man, he is a good 4-3 edge rusher, but I’m uncertain about his ability to play upright in a 3-4. Victor Adeyanju got one mention in my notes for burning the slow footed McNeill. Kamerion Wimbley gave Trueblood some trouble, but was handled in pass blocking by Klopfenstein.

Defensive Tackle:

Kevin Williams (LSU) started showing up late in the game as the offensive line tired. Broderick Bunkley (Florida State) made a couple decent pushes into the backfield, but disappeared as the offesnsive line adjusted to his speed. He started showing up again late in the game. Gabe Watson (Michigan) was double teamed a lot and made one nice tackle on a scrambling QB. He also disappeared, occuping two blockers, but showing no willingness to fight off the block once the second blocker released for a LB. Dusty Dvoracek (Oklahoma) flashed the most talent in the game, he unfortunately has a history of on and off field trouble.

Linebacker:

Chad Greenway (Iowa) was clearly the best, showing great range and awareness from his OLB spot. He took on a FB to force one play wide and looked okay in coverage. Brian Iwuh (Colorado) looked good, he covered and he made a great play taking on two blockers to turn the RB back inside to Abdul Hodge. Depending on his speed, he may be a SS conversion candidate. Travis Williams was noticable during the practice shows when Mike Singletary gave him two ‘good jobs’ for his footwork and change of direction skills. He made a couple heads up plays in the game, blowing up a screen and just missing the int on one. He also looked okay in coverage. He is another SS conversion possibility as is Jon Alston (Stanford) and Thomas Howard (UTEP), even if Howard has bricks for hands. I completely missed Freddie Roach (Alabama), probably looking elsewhere and I tuned out ESPN’s effort to make the Sunday Night crew look good so his name never made it through my filter. Who is Demeco Ryans and why do I have one note saying his coverage was poor?

Cornerback:

The North used two different cornerbacks to cover Sinorice Moss; Tye Hill (Clemson) and David Pittman (NW Louisiana State). That makes them the two best cover corners on the North team. Hill was burned for the touchdown to start the scoring. Let me repeat, he was burned, crispy, crackly burned. Hill is fast and plays with sloppy technique because he can recover so quickly. On the other hand, Pittman needed technique to contain Moss and showed good recovery speed of his own. He stuck like glue to the larger WRs and was in position to make the int that Addae picked off. He showed the same skills in the practices I watched, sticking like glue to his responsibility. Hill made nice plays in practice, but again on athletics more then technique. Pittman was beaten for receptions on two plays: Moss ran a NEM-slant, three steps upfield then slant in with the QB taking three steps and ‘boom’ (a Madden technical term). Pittman made a great recovery given the cushion and back peddle, to make a diving ankle tackle in the best Rodney tradition. Result 9 yds - not bad compared to Hill’s TD. Hank Baskett made a beautiful side line comeback catch where the QB throws low and outside, only it was really low and Baskett had to do a Given’s dive to scoop up the ball. Pittman was right there with him on the most difficult route to defend. It should go without saying, but Pittman was my choice for the best cornerback in the game. Trouble is he is 5’ 11†171 and is going to take a beating in the run game. Cedric Griffin (Texas) was solid, playing both pass and run well. Kelly Jennings (Miami) got a note for good run support on one play. Anwar Phillips (Penn State) had an int, but was picked on playing opposite Pittman and Hill. Will Blackmon (BC) is Raider material, fast and clueless.

Safety:

Jahmile Addae (West Virginia) was the enforcer and every bit as good at as Darren writes. He made his best play on a flare pass to Moss, coming up quickly to tackle him before he could turn upfield. Just great ball awareness. He is a Pats’-style S able to play both positions. I have two notes on Pat Watkins (Florida State), Jason Avant blocked him on a run play and he did a nice job of coming up in backside containment when the DE chased the play. He was there and did okay, just not an enforcer. Bullocks (Nebraska) made his plays on Special Teams. Anthony Smith (Syracuse) was great in run support, I also have a note on a quick tackle against a RB on a swing pattern.

Impressive notes, very good job:

Qbs:
They did a good job showcasing Robinson's run abilities, but I think most wide receivers could come in and throw the ball almost as well as Robinson does. I have never been a big fan of the college qb who gets by solely on running and Robinson is the prototypical example of this kind of qb.

Oline:
Much more thorough than mine, really good report.

Dline:
I expect Dumervil, Haralson, and Lawson to all make the move to outside linebacker in the NFL if they're on a team that plays a 3-4. But I actually think that Tapp and Anderson will be playing defensive end in the NFL no matter which system they end up in.

Linebackers:
To answer your Demeco Ryans questions... Hes one of the better linebackers in the draft, but he had a poor game yesterday that highlighted his weaknesses. Hes a playmaker, but hes not as good in pass coverage as you'd like your ILB to be. He got beat a couple times over the middle yesterday. IMO, theres really no chance Thomas Howard moves to strong safety. Same with Jon Alston. The transition is so tough to make and the player really needs top end in game speed. Howard is fast, but I don't think hes fast enough (and my opinion wont change one bit even if he has a great 40 time). His speed in game isn't fast enough to be a safety.

Very nice analysis.

LetsGoPats36 said:
Impressive notes, very good job:

Qbs:
They did a good job showcasing Robinson's run abilities, but I think most wide receivers could come in and throw the ball almost as well as Robinson does. I have never been a big fan of the college qb who gets by solely on running and Robinson is the prototypical example of this kind of qb.

Oline:
Much more thorough than mine, really good report.

Dline:
I expect Dumervil, Haralson, and Lawson to all make the move to outside linebacker in the NFL if they're on a team that plays a 3-4. But I actually think that Tapp and Anderson will be playing defensive end in the NFL no matter which system they end up in.

Linebackers:
To answer your Demeco Ryans questions... Hes one of the better linebackers in the draft, but he had a poor game yesterday that highlighted his weaknesses. Hes a playmaker, but hes not as good in pass coverage as you'd like your ILB to be. He got beat a couple times over the middle yesterday. IMO, theres really no chance Thomas Howard moves to strong safety. Same with Jon Alston. The transition is so tough to make and the player really needs top end in game speed. Howard is fast, but I don't think hes fast enough (and my opinion wont change one bit even if he has a great 40 time). His speed in game isn't fast enough to be a safety.

Very nice analysis.
Well shucks, nothing to squabble over and the Pats are taking the Super Bowl off. I don't disagree with the LB to SS conversion, but it has been a point of discussion in the forum and we know it can be done given our own Don Davis (emergency, but aren't they all anymore). Ryans' hype was funny in hindsite when I flipped through my notes and read your article, both showing how he disappeared in an All-Star game. I couldn't resist asking the question. Tapp and Anderson are going to do well anywhere, I also think Haralson could stay 4-3 in an Indy-style system. Lawson needs lots of bulking up, but I really loved his ball awareness, and if he stays home and plays with discipline he improves his game that much more. Robinson is a QB like Vick is a QB, somebody always falls in love with the athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down