PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Senior Bowl: Anyone got a concise list of "who to watch"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The South team has some interesting Defensive players. Some of the WRs have caught my eye too. I know that we don't need them, but I wouldn't mind picking up one on day two.

I was late to the party my friend. I just posted my thoughts, I didn't go back and read the other posts like a good girl should. :D
If you were a "good girl" we wouldn't love you. :D

The best defensive player tonight I thought was Mitch King from Iowa. He made multiple plays at the point of attack and hurried the QB on some throws. He's a bit undersized to be a DL for us, but does he have enough mobility to play OLB? Mayock and Charles likened him to Dan Klecko and we've gone down that road before and weren't successful. Still though, he was pretty impressive out there.

I've got to wonder what the Senior Bowl would be like if good HC's and their staffs were to lead the teams?

The best defensive player tonight I thought was Mitch King from Iowa. He made multiple plays at the point of attack and hurried the QB on some throws. He's a bit undersized to be a DL for us, but does he have enough mobility to play OLB? Mayock and Charles likened him to Dan Klecko and we've gone down that road before and weren't successful. Still though, he was pretty impressive out there.
He did a good job and he'll be a good rotational DL with someone like Indy or Buffalo.

He did a good job and he'll be a good rotational DL with someone like Indy or Buffalo.

I was listening to FoxSports radio the other day and they were discussing that Caldwell wants to bring in bigger guys for their DL. I guess he got sick of watching other teams running down their throats:D

Back to the game, Ayers did pretty well for himself out there. I've read that there's a couple of Larry English fans in here, but the knock on him is that he can't play the run as well as he should. Meanwhile, the knock on Ayers was that he was more of a run defender but did not have the burst to get upfield to get to the QB. But during the past week, Mayock put him up there as the most surprising player because of his ability to get upfield in a hurry. And he showed that he could do that in the game. I haven't watched too much of him in college but watching all he practices this week and the game, I was pretty impressed. He'd look good in a Pats uniform.

I'm not crowning anyone until I've gone back over the tape with some slow-motion, but English is going to be rising on my board based on initial game impressions. Cody Brown is also looking decent. I'm liking this draft class for 3-4 LB talent.

Awesome draft class for 3-4 LBs: English, Barwin, Brown, USC Trojans. And that's just in the Senior Bowl.

Come to Papa. Come to Foxboro. :D

I didn't get to watch. Any updates on Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith?

Not sure if Pat White getting the MVP at QB bodes well for this Senior Bowl as a solid game for scout films. Not that White isn't a smart guy and a great athlete, but I can't see him as a starting NFL QB.

How'd Clay Matthews do?

I didn't get to watch. Any updates on Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith?

Not sure if Pat White getting the MVP at QB bodes well for this Senior Bowl as a solid game for scout films. Not that White isn't a smart guy and a great athlete, but I can't see him as a starting NFL QB.

How'd Clay Matthews do?
The USC Linebackers were more visible for their disappearance. What I did notice was Matthews didn't look out of place at 4-3 SLB, he jammed and covered the TE well. I need to look closer at the game to find out how he did engaging blockers against the run.

Butler and Smith looked good, I'd rate Smith a value for #23 and Butler a good value in the late second.

White was MVP by default, there just wasn't anyone at the skill positions that got to stand out - some of those OL were studs though - heck, even Herman Johnson played decently on first blush - we'll see what shows up when I can slow the plays down.

I was listening to FoxSports radio the other day and they were discussing that Caldwell wants to bring in bigger guys for their DL. I guess he got sick of watching other teams running down their throats:D

Back to the game, Ayers did pretty well for himself out there. I've read that there's a couple of Larry English fans in here, but the knock on him is that he can't play the run as well as he should. Meanwhile, the knock on Ayers was that he was more of a run defender but did not have the burst to get upfield to get to the QB. But during the past week, Mayock put him up there as the most surprising player because of his ability to get upfield in a hurry. And he showed that he could do that in the game. I haven't watched too much of him in college but watching all he practices this week and the game, I was pretty impressed. He'd look good in a Pats uniform.
Ayers played his way on the 3-4 DE shopping list alright.

I was surprised to see the watered down rules (ie no motion, no blitzing, etc...)

And it sure takes a lot for the refs to throw a flag, eh? There were a few muggings that went uncalled.

I thought the stand-out LB's continued to stand-out. Made me think we'll never get one, but a buddy of mine who has a lot more time to devote to watching NFLN than... maybe anyone, said they expect something like eleven receivers to go in the first round. I can't imagine who they are, but that could push one of those guys in our direction... maybe.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see the watered down rules (ie no motion, no blitzing, etc...)

And it sure takes a lot for the refs to throw a flag, eh? There were a few muggings that went uncalled.

I thought the stand-out LB's continued to stand-out. Made me think we'll never get one, but a buddy of mine who has a lot more time to devote to watching NFLN than... maybe anyone, said they expect something like eleven receivers to go in the first round. I can't imagine who they are, but that could push one of those guys in our direction... maybe.
11 WR in round 1? Check his prescriptions, he may need an intervention!

LSU had some good players in there. I thought the FB Quinn Johnson, LB Beckwith and the monstrous RT were good players for later rounds.

WR's, Mike Thomas, Derrick Williams, Iglesias looked like possibilities.

Best player for me was Woods the C/G from Louisville. Made Raji look silly.

Other centers were looking good also, Maybe we could get a guy they would make Yates and Hochstein expendable

Smith and Butler looked good, and there was a low round corner Ellis somebody, we could have a double Ellis corner.

Didn't think to many skill players stood out. Some of the RB's looked good for low round consideration.

The best players were on the South O line.

BTW, how come the North QB's were from Central Arkansas, TexasTech and Sam Houston State/ Aren't there any QB's in the entire North and West?

LSU had some good players in there. I thought the FB Quinn Johnson, LB Beckwith and the monstrous RT were good players for later rounds.

WR's, Mike Thomas, Derrick Williams, Iglesias looked like possibilities.

Best player for me was Woods the C/G from Louisville. Made Raji look silly.

Other centers were looking good also, Maybe we could get a guy they would make Yates and Hochstein expendable

Smith and Butler looked good, and there was a low round corner Ellis somebody, we could have a double Ellis corner.

Didn't think to many skill players stood out. Some of the RB's looked good for low round consideration.

The best players were on the South O line.

BTW, how come the North QB's were from Central Arkansas, TexasTech and Sam Houston State/ Aren't there any QB's in the entire North and West?
CB Ellis Lankster (WV) - good Day Two option.

I'm of two minds about re-signing Hochstein. I love the guy, but I think he's starting to slip as a G. Getting an Eric Woods would really strengthen the interior OL.

Ayers played his way on the 3-4 DE shopping list alright.

Ayers made a few nice plays but also looked an awful lot like Gholston at times. He has a couple of good rushing moves that coaching can develop but a lot of other stuff he was doing was garbage. During the week he looked great in one on one drills but he struggled in the game when he had to think more. He probably moved up in some team's minds but he'd be a situational player only with the Pats IMO. I wouldn't use anything higher than a late 3rd or early 4th round pick on a player like that. He'll probably go higher than that to a 4-3 team looking for a rush DE but overall I thought he was disappointing despite the flashes.

Ayers made a few nice plays but also looked an awful lot like Gholston at times. He has a couple of good rushing moves that coaching can develop but a lot of other stuff he was doing was garbage. During the week he looked great in one on one drills but he struggled in the game when he had to think more. He probably moved up in some team's minds but he'd be a situational player only with the Pats IMO. I wouldn't use anything higher than a late 3rd or early 4th round pick on a player like that. He'll probably go higher than that to a 4-3 team looking for a rush DE but overall I thought he was disappointing despite the flashes.
I haven't ranked him yet, but I doubt I'd have him Day One.

I haven't ranked him yet, but I doubt I'd have him Day One.

There wasn't anyone that knocked my socks off in the skill player dept but I thought Eric Wood of Louisville played well and showed the type of versatility the Pats like at center and guard. It looked like the O-lines from both teams had the best players on the field and center in particular looks well-stocked for the draft. It's not a glamour position but they could get a good player on day one or early on day two. Protecting Brady better up the middle isn't a bad idea.

There wasn't anyone that knocked my socks off in the skill player dept but I thought Eric Wood of Louisville played well and showed the type of versatility the Pats like at center and guard. It looked like the O-lines from both teams had the best players on the field and center in particular looks well-stocked for the draft. It's not a glamour position but they could get a good player on day one or early on day two. Protecting Brady better up the middle isn't a bad idea.
Here, here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back