PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It was probably not more than 15 minutes after an anonymous undrafted rookie free agent cornerback made the greatest play in Super Bowl history that Commissioner Blockhead got the stinkeye from Patriots owner Robert Kraft on the trophy presentation podium. Blockhead mouthed some smarmy, insincere platitudes ”congratulating” the team he hates, the New England Patriots, for winning Super Bowl XLIX and then skulked off the stage, like the chickenshit he is, in order to avoid personally acknowledging the greatest coach in NFL history on his 4th Super Bowl victory.

Then and there, Kraft had to know in his heart of hearts that the fix was in and that Blockhead, the utterly unremarkable and stupendously overpaid tribute to human mediocrity, would once again do everything in his power to screw the Patriots. That Kraft has been Goodell’s benefactor, enriching him beyond all reason and expectation, has to be especially galling to the Patriots owner.

Armando Salguero is right. Ted Wells was hired to prosecute Tom Brady and the Patriots for illegally deflating footballs. Attorneys are by their very nature advocates for their clients and the good ones can readily argue either side of any case. But judicial proceedings are adversarial in nature for a reason, with both sides aggressively promoting their own view of the case, at least in civilized countries. This is not the case, however, in Roger Goodell’s NFL, where there is no forum for Brady or the Patriots to advocate for their side of the story. Brady has been the victim of a one-sided prosecution with no opportunity to defend himself.

As an advocate, Wells can present the evidence that supports his case, select his own experts and put his own spin on his version of the facts. There are no checks and balances on this other that Wells’ professional responsibility as a practicing attorney as well as his integrity and (ahem) legal ethics. But even Mr. Wells would have to agree that using text messages between two parties (Jastremski and McNally) to infer the actions or intentions of a third party (Brady) does not constitute “evidence” (although his report says it does). And I suppose that Mr. Wells can decide whether or not to believe the context and explanations offered by the individuals directly involved; but these too are judgments, not facts, and most certainly not “evidence.”

There are many other legitimate question to be raised about the Wells report and its conclusions. That Wells’ judgments were promulgated and published unchallenged is a fatal flaw in the process. Both Goodell and Wells had to have recognized the impact that this would have on Brady and the Patriots, who have now been irretrievably judged guilty in the court of public opinion based on one side of the story. Goodell’s decision to hire Wells ostensibly as an investigator, but let him function as judge, jury and executioner, rivals the impressive and ever growing list of monumental ****-ups under his ham-handed watch over the affairs of the NFL.

Goodell tipped his hand when he said he had to protect the interests of the “31 other teams.” That’s wrong – his job is act fairly and protect the interests of all 32 NFL franchises. It’s difficult to escape the conclusion that Goodell has a raging hard-on for the New England Patriots and has for some time now.

Here’s a homework assignment: name one situation in which Goodell’s involvement has been beneficial. Is the NFL really more prone to scandal than the other professional sports leagues or does Goodell have an uncanny ability to turn the tiniest spark into a hellfire conflagration? It’s pretty clear that Commissioner Blockhead has an on/off switch - in a tough spot, he either does nothing or overreacts and when it comes to the Patriots, boy howdy, does he ever overreact.

Brady has been nothing but a credit to the NFL over his 15 year career. It would be difficult to estimate how much money he has put in the pockets of The Billionaires Boys Club. He has been an asset of incalculable value in a league filled with miscreants, social deviates and rageaholics. In what universe does it make business sense to intentionally and wantonly devalue such an asset? Yeah, let’s give Tom Brady the same treatment we gave Richie Incognito, Ray Rice, Michael Vick and Adrian Peterson. Makes perfect sense to me.

I have no idea whether the Patriots intentionally and illegally deflated footballs or whether Tom Brady overstepped his bounds. The sad fact of the matter is that the Commissioner’s so-called process including (and especially) the Wells report has done little to credibly resolve these questions. Owner Kraft meekly raised a token objection before saying “please sir, I’d like another” so I guess the Patriots are just going to take their medicine, no matter how bitter it tastes, irrespective of fairness and justice, and then rely on Bill Belichick to stoically rally the troops and kick the asses of the “31 other franchises” once again.

But if it were me, if Tom Brady was my “fifth son,” I’m going all Al Davis on Roger Goodell and the National Football League. Send Lawyers, Guns and Money – because this time I am going to personally make sure that the **** hits fan.

I think it really began when Brady didn't fall on his sword during that first press conference when Mark Brunell got all teary-eyed. I really believe that the NFL thought he would apologize and it could slowly go away. They are trying to fabricate "cheating" because their egos have gotten way too big and how dare the golden boy and GOAT stick it in their face. They can't stand his good looks, popularity and success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back