Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senator DeMint Objects to the Appointment of the Conferees

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Dec 24, 2009.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Well things just got more complicated for the passage of Obamacare. What this means is that there will be no House/Senate conference to work out a compromise between the House and Senate bills.

So the House can pass the Senate Bill as is, or they have to amend the Senate Bill on the Floor of the House. If they amend the Senate Bill then the Senate will have to come up with 60 votes again.

Will the Lefties in the House sell out their constituents on The Public Option? With the CBO admitting a 'mistake' that they double counted savings to come up with the 'deficit reduction' that the Senate Bill was supposed to create, can they hold all of the Blue Dogs. How many reps looking at the unpopularity of Obamacare will change a vote to avoid losing their seat?

See the article for the details: The Best Christmas Present Ever: Senator DeMint Objects to the Appointment of the Conferees - Dan_Perrin’s blog - RedState

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

I think the Dems will ultimately use Reconciliation, and the Republicans, with thier antics, will give them cover.

3. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Republicans don't have to do anything, it's the Democrats themselves who will cause any problems that will arise with the bill. Members of both houses have publicly stated they will refuse to vote for the final bill if certain aspects are removed or included

Hard to have reconciliation when the fractures are already forming before they have even met.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

There will be a bill. The only outstanding question is how close to the Senate version the final bill will be. The fractures you're talking about are just political posturing in preparation for the negotiations.

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

No conference no reconciliation, that is the point of this parliamentary procedure. I don't know enough to know if this is correct or not clearly DeMint says it is valid. Check the article to see what their plan is.

6. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is assuming it is the Senate bill that is changed. In all likelihood the House bill will have to change as well if they ever want to get the bill passed by BOTH houses :rolleyes:

Bull crap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/health/policy/22health.html

The divisions aren't something that can just be brushed aside as you are doing- they are real and on both sides. The Democrats lose a vote in the Senate and the Republicans will hammer away at them until the start of election season in May. The Democrats lose any votes in the house and they will have serious problems getting their version passed especially with the polarizing leadership forcing their views down on Democrats.

But continue wearing your rose colored glasses. It is still a conference and two votes away from passage and it's closer than you realize it is to failure than passage :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

The net/net here is that more Americans are cheering AGAINST passage of this bill than are supporting it. Our representatives should concede to that fact.

8. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only if it lasts until May when election season kicks into high gear.

Hard to pass a controversial bill when two of the biggest supporters in the Senate are down in all the polls going into the final stretch :rolleyes:

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Some of the most liberal members of the Congress support the health care reform as it now stands because half a loaf is better than none. In addition, in the House around 25 conservative Democrats voted against health care because they thought it was too liberal. Some of these people are likely to support the Senate version. In addition, politically the Democrats cannot afford to fail on this issue because it's important to their base. I think it's very unlikely that health care will be defeated. If the Repubicans thought that it would be defeated, they wouldn't be engaging in filibusters and technical antics, things they have claimed to oppose in the past. I think you're the one with rose colored glasses. I'd put the chances of health care reform passing at 90%.

10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I doubt it. If they voted yes now, they would be accused of "flip flopping" which would be worse, especially if the bill passes. Then they would have offended both supporters and opponents.. Remember " I voted for the bill before I voted against the bill" (or was it " I voted against the bill before I voted for the bill"???) and its nuances are often lost on most voters. Conservative Democrats who voted against it are not going to be swayed. They ought to be more worried about the conservative Democrats who voted for it because of the Stupak amendment and what they will do if it is removed....If they change their mind, they too can be accused of flip flopping but it is easier to defend if they kill the bill and then they can say " I was in favor of health care reform, but they changed it too much and we deserve better". Opponents of the bill would probably forgive them then versus the previous scenario when the bil passes.
    If you were a first or second term Democrat or from a swing district who voted 'no' I don't think they are likely to vote yes now.....unless they can be bought off for cheaper than a Senator....say $100 million for a make work project. But with the blowback on Sen. Nelson, I think it is less likely to happen.

House Passes Health Care Reform - Swampland - TIME.com

[FONT=&quot]Of the Democrats that voted Nay, most were from swing districts like Maffei. Though, at least one, Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, voted against the bill from the left saying it didn't go far enough to reign in health insurers. “We cannot fault the insurance companies for being what they are,” Kucinich said in a statement. “But we can fault legislation in which the government incentivizes the perpetuation, indeed the strengthening, of the for-profit health insurance industry, the very source of the problem.”
    [/FONT]