Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate will advance torture commission

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The Senate is quietly preparing plans to investigate allegations of torture under President George W. Bush, according to comments published Wednesday by Senate Judiciary Chairman Pat Leahy (D-VT) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).

The Senate Judiciary Committee could announce a hearing to consider various plans to probe allegations of torture as early as today, according to Salon's Mark Benjamin, citing Committee Chairman Pat Leahy and members of his staff.

Torture Commission Senate | Salon News

If we never tortured people under Bush's orders, he should have nothing to fear.

2. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is ridiculous. Don't the democratic senators have more important things to do, like counting all the pork they go their pals got in the spendulous package?

We have alot bigger concerns right now than trying to decide how much the past president knew about waterboarding, and if that constitutes as torture.

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

not if he "knew" about it...

Its about if he "Ordered" it.

and BTW, thats the JOB of the senate judiciary comittee.....to look into the PAST for crimes. infact, thats the job of the entire legal system. Its the basis of evidence.

unless you live in the future, and prosecute crimes that have yet to happen, minority report style...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. Triple-T

Triple-T Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Accountability is for losers!

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +822 / 2 / -9

They'll never forget Bush, he made fools out of them twice, they all laughed at him when he said he wanted to be president................:singing:

They'll be going after him even after he's dead, Reagan can finally rest in peace now they've got Bush.

BUSH BEAT THEM-----------TWICE, HE'S A MORON
    A MORON BEAT THEM-----------------TWICE

"Hi Mr Gore, did you run for President once"
    "Yea"
    "Did you win"
    "No"
    "Who won"
    "A moron"

:singing:

6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

The mensa member speaks again

7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

OUCH!!!

Harry, you're bad!!

:D

//

8. Triple-T

Triple-T Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

sorry. Next time I'll throw in a winky noddy icon to make it more obvious.

9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

man i'd love to sit there with a big bowl of popcorn and watch these guys fumble and bumble their way through explaining what they did and why they did it in front of a congressional commission. I've been waiting about 6 years of so to see that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I think you should until people are use to your postings. I still do it,a couple of times i didn't and people thought i was riping them.

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

winky icons are for losers.....

12. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

This will probably go away soon and hopefully the waterboarding (saving lives) will continue with renewed vigor. I predict no one gets pulled up in front of anyone. By the way, wasn't Obama going to stop the domestic spying? (see the Presidents lawyers scramble to try to get those "state secrets" suppressed)

Why do we make these guys uncomfortable (to the lefties that would be torture) anyway? Wouldn't they be more comfortable taking the dirt nap? They should have never made it out of Afghanistan. Their bones should be bleached by the sun by now, but that's just my opinion.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +822 / 2 / -9

I agree with all of that, before they kill the bastards they should make them stare at a photo of Auntie Pelosi grinning and sucking her false teeth>

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You mean like that taxi cab driver your heroes tortured to death who wasn't guilty of anything?

George Tenet said over and over again, emphatically: "We DON'T TORTURE!!!"... Oh?

I love how loyalist Bushies parrot the same arrogant cliche "don't they have anything better to do?" Try saying that to a cop the next time you get pulled over. They love that. Really works in your favor.

Meanwhile, if this all happened under a Dem regime, little Limbaughs everywhere would be screaming bloody murder. Transparent partisan hackery much?

This is about getting the history books accurate, and not letting the most corrupt administration in U.S. history sugarcoat their part in that history.

15. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

As far as the cab driver goes..."you gotta break a few eggs."

Regarding torture of terrorists just so everyone is clear, Flay those fckers alive. That's were I stand. I would torture them and their fcking families. Real fcking heinous torture too. Not forcing them to take a shower. (waterboarding) Bamboo under the fingernails type of sh!t. There now that you know i am to the right of Ghengis Khan exactly were I want to be, you may better understand where I stand on torture. I am not sure about this partisan hackery you speak of.

16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well, at least you admit it. But it's your arrogant, borderline fascist ideology that has America hated world wide.... The rest of us thank you so much.

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +668 / 7 / -2

So who's going to investigate the current administration when they "torture" people, cuz regardless of what anyone says publically, it will happen. If it doesn't happen directly from our doing, which I still think it will in extreme cases, it'll simply be with the hands of others, but by our orders.

Remember, it comes down to what the definition of "is" is.

Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool

The role of the CIA's controversial prisoner-transfer program may expand, intelligence experts say.

By Greg Miller
    February 1, 2009

Reporting from Washington -- The CIA's secret prisons are being shuttered. Harsh interrogation techniques are off-limits. And Guantanamo Bay will eventually go back to being a wind-swept naval base on the southeastern corner of Cuba.

But even while dismantling these programs, President Obama left intact an equally controversial counter-terrorism tool. Under executive orders issued by Obama recently, the CIA still has authority to carry out what are known as renditions, secret abductions and transfers of prisoners to countries that cooperate with the United States.

Current and former U.S. intelligence officials said that the rendition program might be poised to play an expanded role going forward because it was the main remaining mechanism -- aside from Predator missile strikes -- for taking suspected terrorists off the street.

The rendition program became a source of embarrassment for the CIA, and a target of international scorn, as details emerged in recent years of botched captures, mistaken identities and allegations that prisoners were turned over to countries where they were tortured.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +668 / 7 / -2

Slam Dunk was held over from the Clinton adminstration. I say this cuz it doesn't matter what people (dem/repub) say publically, cuz it's going to happen either way. The only difference will be the particulars, or extent to which it's done. It might be done far less under Obama, maybe the methods may change, or they might simply subcontract it out to other countries, so as to say "we" didn't torture anyone. Remember that the point about torture was to clear up what it is, was, is not, is permissable, is illegal, is acceptable, etc. With that in mind, one man's torture is another man's coerced interogation, and vice versa. I'm absolutely opposed to physical abuse of detainee's, i.e. TORTURE. I think it's unamerican, immoral, and unacceptable. I absolutely support coerced methods of interogtion. Loud music, good cop bad cop, sleep deprivation, cold rooms, etc. Stuff like that, or stuff within reason, I think are unfortunate, but necessary, since asking Kalid Sheik Mohamed nicely, isn't always going to cut it.

19. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

It's pretty simple to me...

Muslim terrorists want to kill Capitalists. Actually, anyone that doesn't think like they do, they want dead.

I am just a Capitalist that wants to kill Muslim terrorists. If we happen to torture a few along the way, that's the risk they run for trying to kill us.