Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate votes to extend Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Feb 25, 2010.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can remember some very strong anti-patriot act opinions on this board a few years back. How do we feel now?

Senate votes to extend Patriot Act - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

2. macfeen

macfeen Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither......
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 1 / -9

People who blubber and sob over The Patriot Act should set an example for the rest of us, they should do the following
    1 Remove all locks from the doors of their homes
    2 Leave the keys to their cars in the ignition at all times
    3 Leave their cars unlocked at all times
    4 Outlaw burglar alarms (offensive to crooks)
    5 Don't lock Store Doors at night (offensive to crooks)
    6 Put Cops in jail and turn the criminals loose (poor babys)

Iran Doesn't have a Patriot Act they cut your tongue out and then throw rocks at you until you die.

Saudi Arabia's Patriot Act is "Crucifixtion" after they behead you.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Thank you Ben Franklin...

My feelings are simple, good security is not obvious but necessary, and even though I am not crazy about it.. they can monitor my computer use, monitor what I get from the library, check out who I am calling.. as long as they are checking everyone's and using the information to develop profiles of potential terrorists.

It is kind of going through airport security... find it intrusive and for the most part rude, but feel safer when flying on planes.

But in all government spending associated with any bill, there is a ton of pork.. nothing riles me more than seeing some 10 ton mobile communication center that was paid for by Homeland Security for a small town in east bumf..ck.. no one knows how to use it, but driving it in parades makes a lot of people feel good..

Take for example, Michael Chertoff, once head of Homeland Security now sells full body scanners to them, there should be some type of buffer time between his departure from the Government to then start selling this kind of stuff to his old department.. creates an appearance of impropriety..

One of the very neglected areas is the Coast Guard, and they need a lot of upgrading..
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +351 / 1 / -9

Yes, thats exactly what I was trying to say.

Man Without Patriot Act Over There>>>>>>>>:bricks:
  6. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wait, so Pork gets you riled up, but you're fine with the "porkulous bill" TARP, and proposed healthcare bills that include 300 million in pork to buy 1 senators vote, and free medicare for life for Nebraska to buy another vote? :confused:

And how is it that when Bush is the President that the Patriot Act is characterized as the end of free will in the western hemishpere, and then when it passes again, word for word the same it's not a big deal? An amazing amount of Hypocrisy yet again by the democrats.
  7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Yes, the Patriot Act erodes civil rights, which is something I am not comfortable with. Those who don't mind government intrusion into privacy shouldn't come crying home when it is misused.

However, my chief problem with it is strategic. It is but a part of a wholly defensive and reactionary strategy, and there still isn't a solid offensive paradigm to deal with asymmetrical threats (terror or nation-based) aside from our efforts in Afghanistan, which until a few months ago had been neglected. We aren't the only nation handling these types of threats, but for some reason we tend to be among the minority that think we can fight a war in the mud without getting dirty, unless it comes at the expense of our citizens. I encourage anyone who is interested to look at the history of combating terrorism in the 20th and 21st centuries and you will see a definitive trend among those who successfully suppressed the threat. If people are squeamish about the idea of getting dirty, maybe it's time to have a sitdown with the terrorists and work out a deal? After all, it worked for Spain, right?
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

You make silly assumptions, have been very consistent since the inception of this whole mess..... FYI have been for the most part quiet on the TARP bill and the Health Care bill... as I do not really understand if they are bad or good.. time will tell.

Nice thing about my side of the aisle is that we tolerate differing opinions... and do not goosestep in time with the "dittohead" nation...
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +351 / 1 / -9

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I was gonna say that.

I would tolerate more security at the points of entry, but I could live with less security on the inside.

I'm sick and tired of the expansion of the domestic police state. We spend way too much money on law enforcement and the drug war. People involved in the police, law, prison system and all their henchmen will do everything in their power to scare the sh!t out of us, lock us up (especially the poorest ones) and line their pockets with our money.

THAT's what the "Patriot Act" is about....follow the money.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I just vomited in my mouth....

seriously? we can re-up the Patriot Act that allows the government more intrusion, and eliminates at least 2 of our rights...

but Healthcare? NO WAY!

this Senate sucks.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +351 / 1 / -9

The War On Drugs is a joke, you can buy drugs in church now, every school yard in America is like a Drug Store, legalize everything then Tax It and do away with Income Tax and Sales Taxes the Drug Tax would cover it all.

After it's legalized and anybody trys selling it blackmarket Kill Them.

All the drug dealers will have to go to work picking grapes or cleaning toilets....