Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate to vote on the Ryan Budget this afternoon

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 25, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

hahahahah....

Senate to vote on Ryan budget after Dem victory in NY-26 - TheHill.com

The Senate will vote on the House-passed budget plan sponsored by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) Wednesday afternoon, putting Republicans in a tough spot over Medicare.

The Senate will vote on four budget plans after 5 p.m., including Ryan’s blueprint and budget plans introduced by Sens. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.), according to a senior Democratic leadership aide.

Several Republicans up for re-election this cycle have already said they'd vote no, including Scott Brown of Massachusetts and Olympia Snowe of Maine, and and at least one has confirmed he'll vote yes: Indiana's Dick Lugar.

hook....line.........sinker

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Meanwhile, the republic hurtles toward collapse.

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

If only we could pass a voucher program, then everything would finally be golden!

(and destroy unions, and jobs, and regulation)

THEN everything will be golden

Good luck to all Republicans who vote for a plan that gives $6,000 vouchers to seniors, so they can give it to an insurance company concerned with profit 1st. I'm sure the voting public loves to hear that from their elected officials...

Something keeps striking me as 'odd' about the Ryan plan, and opposition to government burocrats providing a healthcare pool....

who do these a-holes think is providing the seniors with the $6,000 voucher?

the healthcare fairy?

Its the government STUPID! and heres the catch: $6k will buy you a bed pan, and come sugar water by 2018...so who will seniors end up blaming for the lack of care if the Ryan budget passed? you guessed it...THE GOVERNMENT.

Note to democrats running in 2012: "Medicare for all: eliminate the profit on NOT providing you with the proper care"

sounds like a winning slogan if you ask me....and look at the trends...

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Harry Reid and the Dems controlling the Senate didn't introduce a budget last year and are not planning to introduce a budget for this year, real leadership by the dems.....

5. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -3

#11 Jersey

Ryan came out today and said his medicare plan wasn't getting a fair shake as it doesn't affect people 55+.

Hey Paul. I'm under 55 and your plan affects me!

Golden rule: Never ever mess with elderly people. They vote in huge numbers.

6. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

looks like you are either misinformed, or don't read...

you can choose which one.....

from the linked article:

"At the insistence of Republican leaders, the Senate will also vote on the budget plan that President Obama sent to Capitol Hill earlier this year."

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

President Obama doesn't set budgets the congress writes fiscal legislation in the House and Senaate.

You get an F in civics.

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

so they are voting on Obama's budget...how?

sounds like senate republicans get an F in civics....

PS: My job isn't being a senator. A Senator's job IS.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The president must, each year, submit a budget request (or plan) - per The Congressional Budget Act of 1974.

The Congressional Budget Act of 1974 requires that the President of the United States submit to Congress, on or before the first Monday in February of each year, a detailed budget request for the coming federal fiscal year, which begins on October 1. Prepared by the president and the president's Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the president's annual budget request performs three key functions in the annual federal budget process:

•The presidential budget request informs Congress of the president's vision of the three basic elements of U.S. fiscal policy: (1) how much money the government should spend on public needs and programs; (2) how much money the government should take in through taxes and other sources of revenue; and (3) how large a deficit or surplus will result -- simply the difference between money spent and money taken in.

•The presidential budget request tells Congress how much money the president believes should be spent on the various Cabinet-level federal functions, like defense, education, health, agriculture, etc. Within each function, the president's budget request must establish requested spending levels for smaller groups of related programs known as "budget accounts." For example, funding levels for federally subsidized student loans would be a budget account under the total proposed spending for the Department of Education.

•The presidential budget request can also be used to inform Congress of any changes in federal spending or tax policy the president intends to recommend.
    While it is prepared annually, the president's budget request must anticipate program needs for five years in the future.

In the next phase of the annual budget process, the House and Senate Budget Committees will hold hearings on the president's budget request. In the hearings, administration officials -- sometimes even the secretaries of the Cabinet-level agencies -- are called to testify, and justify their specific budget requests. Based on the hearings and the president's budget request, the Budget Committees will prepare a draft of the congressional budget resolution. After being amended by the full House and Senate, the congressional budget resolution will go to a joint House-Senate conference committee, where any differences will be resolved.

About the President's Annual Budget Request

HD definitely did not flunk.....I'll give PF13 the option of claiming that "plan" and "request" might, conceivably, not mean the same thing in his world.

They seem pretty similar in mine, however.

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

When the bill finally came up for a vote tonight in the Senate, five Republicans out of the 42 voted against the plan, making the final vote 40-57.

YouTube - ‪Senate Rejects Ryan Budget‬‏

GOP nay votes:

Scott Brown
    Susan Collins
    Lisa Murkowski
    Rand Paul
    Olympia Snowe

much props

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

The President sends in a budget. The Topic of course was the Senate Democrats creating a budget which they have done for the past 2 years.

Reid has already said he doesn't intend to have the Senate write a bidget.

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

They voted down both budgets. End of story. Next!

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Now that savior of the right, Scott Brown, will be labeled a RINO..

Glad to see he is going against the tide..

14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Who were the three Democrats who voted for it?

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

There are currently 53 Democratic Senators, Giffords is in Rehab, leaving 52 + the 5 RINO's...

Cannot find out who was absent..

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

So where is the Reid budget? Since his dems voted against both budgets?

Oh yeah Harry doesn't have a budget....

17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I didn't want to start a third thread on Ryan, but here's an interesting observation Bill Clinton made about a democratic response to the bill while talking to Ryan.

Bill Clinton to Paul Ryan: The Democrats need to do something about Medicare

Ryan told Clinton he fears that now nothing will get done in Washington.

Clinton told Ryan that if he ever wanted to talk about it, he should “give me a call.” Ryan said he would.

Afterward, in an interview with ABC, Ryan begged Republicans not to go wobbly in the aftermath of NY-26. Quote: “This is a time for leaders to be leaders.” What’s Clinton’s game here, though? Not only did he tell Ryan privately that he hopes Democrats will act on Medicare, he said so in his speech a few minutes earlier:

Former President Bill Clinton, still widely considered one of his party’s foremost politicians, said on Wednesday that Democrats should cut a “reasonable” deal with Republicans on Medicare savings rather than conclude from Tuesday’s upset in a special Congressional election that bashing Republicans on the issue is the key to a party comeback in 2012…

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I have never liked Bill Clinton - so what I have to say is admittedly biased, I suppose.

I've been telling MrP, in private, for a long time that I thought Bill was a fairly passive-aggressive little narcissist - and this does nothing to dissuade me from that opinion.

19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

a good judge of character;)

His point, whatever his motive, though is still valid imo and the early rhetoric supports him.

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

But we have had a defense economy eating up our budget for a longer time than medicare.. and somehow no one notices.