Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate to debate Iraq quagmire

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 14, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Senate conservatives end opposition to Iraq debate.

Breaking a series of roadblocks imposed by conservatives, the Senate voted 89-9 just now “to begin its first formal debate on the Iraq war since Democrats took control of Congress in January.” Bob Geiger explains what comes next.

UPDATE: Meanwhile, the House is voting now on the Presidential Records Act Amendments of 2007, which overturns a Reagan-era executive order giving “current and former presidents and vice presidents broad authority to withhold presidential records or delay their release indefinitely.” Much more HERE.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Unfortunately the Dems, who I had great hope for, cannot seem to get their act together... probably shoot themselves in the foot again. Take center stage, then screw up.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Great maybe it will provide more brilliant insight like this from Sen Dodd:

" The greatest gift our country can give the Cambodian people is not guns but peace. And the best way to accomplish that goal is by ending military aid now."

Dodd said that on March 12, 1975, instead of peace the Cambodians got tyranny and millions of dead Cambodians. Based on his track record over the past 35 uears whatever he recommends we should do the opposite.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Presidential Records Act is a great idea, I want all the skeletons out of all the closets.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

No links today?
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

GJA, I like alot of the Dems that got elected to office as they have been described as fiscally conservative, principled, and moderate. Sadly though, the loonies can't get along with anyone fiscally conservative, principled, and moderate. The Dems are grossly fractured. They won because the GOP was so bad. What does that say about the state of american politics? Why the MSM doesn't, for the sake of the people, publicize the positions of other parties is beyond me.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

Kinda like when my girlfriend tells me to take a right so I take a left? :D
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

What about top secret information? Furthermore, what's in those records? I'm asking here.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Obviously this has nothing to do with classified information (especially the most classified "Top Secret" variety). This is for things like memos, meeting notes, executive orders that aren't made public (ones that only affect the internal workings of the executive branch).
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

I'm all for exposing them, but I think they should be exposed only after said president is dead, or after a period of time. If not, then people inside the administration may become afraid to offer controvertial advice, for fear of it being exposed publically.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That basis could be used to keep everything inside government a secret. Bye bye open meeting laws!
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

I could not agree more, that is why there is a need for a 3rd party.. these guys are morphing into each other. The more I look for differences, the more they look the same.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

Yeah but it's a valid point. Were I an advisor to a president, I'd be wary of having my recommendations recorded were they the least bit controvertial Especially if they were to be made public record in January 2009.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

This is once instance where I give credit to Massachusetts, as azzbackwards as the state is. They at least provide a podium for the 3rd party candidates during gubernatorial debates. As whacky as some of them both look and sound, others have made excellent points on numerous positions. The problem is, this state is dominated by the one (Dem) party, and it doesn't look like that will ever change.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 2 / -9

Fox Ties CBS for First Place
    By James Hibberd
    Fox has moved into a first-place tie with CBS for the season, and it likely will pass CBS to lead all networks within the next two days.
    http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11713
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'd be in favor of a federal ballot access amendment that guarantees the top 5 parties (in terms of registered voters or whatever criteria they want to use) the opportunity to appear on the ballot in statewide and federal elections
  17. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So you blame Dodd for Pol Pot? Okay, I blame Ronald Reagan for Saddam Hussein.

Remember when we backed him and gave him weapons to kill hundreds of thousands of people?

Thats your guy.
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Sounds very much like the Repubs when they had control. Maybe neither of them wants to lead. Maybe time for some new ideas for *both* parties to hear. Maybe it's time for some non-partisan openness on all sides.

One can dream.

//
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

More like time for another party. Better yet, another system altogether with limits on terms and the length of campaigns. It's only going to get worse.

Now that the large states are all going to have their primaries before March 1st, there will be unprecedented amounts of money being spent on elections earlier and earlier. Only those with big war chests at the very beginning will be allowed to continue after February until November. Fundraising and declarations of running will have to begin much earlier. It will likely be the Republicrats will have chosen their two candidates by then, and we'll be left with a spring, summer, and fall of non-stop campaigning for the POTUS.:eek:

There will be no more dark horses like Carter, Clinton, Bush. We'll be stuck with the old retread politicians election after election. No new blood or ideas will be presented as the "candidates" will be forced to hang out in the middle vanilla mainstream of politics that will be palatable to the TV media.

Oh, I can't wait.:(
  20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Can we get rid of protecting the records of the legislative branch also?