Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate shows courage

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

Senators Defeat Abortion Amendment in Health Care Bill - ABC News

The Senate today rejected an amendment in the health care bill that would tighten restrictions on abortion coverage.

By a vote of 54-45, Senators dismissed the abortion amendment offered by Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.

The current language in the Senate health care bill restricts the use of public funds for abortion services. But private insurance plans that are offered in the insurance exchange can cover abortion if funds for the procedure are used only from premiums paid by beneficiaries.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ahhhh...

doesnt the Hatch act cover all of this? No federal funds to pay for abortions...

Its funny coming fromm a republican who wants to have MORE government in your life when it comes to things like "abortion". (Note: The democrat wanting more gov't isnt shocking)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

It takes courage to kill babies. :rolleyes:

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Killing the innocent in the name of health wonderful. Josef Mengele is smiling in hell right now.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Nothing's changed. Most private insurances have always paid for abortions. Many of them have always paid for elective abortions. Federally funded insurance plans (Medicare and Medicaid) have never paid for abortions, elective or otherwise.

We've had this discussion ad-neausem. Anyone employed by The RNC has abortion coverage. Most anyone who carries private insurance, either on their own or through their work place, has abortion coverage. People on Medicare or Medicaid do not have abortion coverage.

Whatever was voted on today changed nothing. It merely maintained the status-quo. This should make all of those people who are so very happy with their current health care plans that they don't want anything to change very happy.

What's your gripe, PF13? Do you want the government changing the way your private insurance plan works? I thought you were against any governmental change in private insurance companies.
    The Senate apparently agrees with you and voted not to change it.

Sheesh, you get what you want and you're still not satisfied.

6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

You forgot the sub-heading of this thread...... lemme help you :D

Senate shows courage .... and thereby ensures a filibuster

You can make this about emotion and right and wrong, but the simple truth is that this is closer to chess or gambling then anything else. Reid and Pelosi are in a race against time to get whatever crappy legislation in front of Obama that they are selling their souls to make it happen. In this case, Reid is calling Nelson's "bluff".

Nelson has said plainly that he'll filibuster if the abortion language is not in there. Now, unless he was bluffing (and I doubt he is), Reid has to now drag over a RINO like Snowe in order to hit 60 (if, and only if, Leibermen is still caucusing with them).

Snowe is already playing hardball. She is a definite NO to the public option and is on record of saying that. Besides, Stupek had already said he'll pull the kill switch if the Senate Dems water his language down.

Public Option, or abortion coverage..... it's aboput choices. None of them good. The name of the game is change, and whether it's good change or bad change is secondary.

Reid is FAR from close on this.

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

One fault of people with a liberal mindset is that they think the current group or the new group in DC will be different than the old group(s) ... NOT. Everything to do with this healthcare bill is playing into what the lobbyist want.

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

The status quo used to include slavery, the status quo in Germany included killing millions of Jews and Gypsies (with plans on including the Slavs. Sometimes the status quo is immoral and has to be changed, so it is with murdering babies in the womb.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

So explain to me why, for the last 35 years or so, there has been no protest by The Right-to-Lifers directed at all those private insurance companies which pay for abortions? We all know that many of the people who believe abortion is wrong and/or immoral pay insurance premiums....why no outrage that their funds are financing murder?

Where's the screaming been all these years? Where's the rightous indignation? Where's the banding together and the collective refusal to pay premiums to companies which take those premiums and pay the abortionists with them?

I'm sorry, but your outrage seems a bit out of place when you're probably not even sure if your own insurance company covers elective and/or necessary-for-the-life-of-the-mother abortion.

I understand it's an unfair question in that maybe you've never thought to look because you've never, personally, had the need to check - or the interest. The answer's also moot since I'll never know if you're telling me the truth or not - but you'll know if your heart if you've hated abortion strongly enough to have checked out your own insurance to make sure you're not paying premiums which contribute to what you consider the murder of innocent babies - and what, if anything, you've done about it or are willing to do about it.

If you happen to belong to one of the rare companies which do not cover elective abortions I'm truly glad for you. However, you find out they DO, indeed, cover them, you're in a moral quandary. At the very least I'd expect you'd have the grace to back off whatever the government (which has repeatedly stated it will NOT allow any federal funds to be applied to abortion coverage) decides.

10. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 2 / -0

This isn't going to help them in the end. They would have been smarter to pass it. This one issue could prove to be the linchpin to failure on a final vote.....

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

The difference is the endorsing of abortion by the government by using taxpayer money to fund death.

A lot of progress has been gained on raising awareness of how horrible the process of killing children, advances in ultrasound especially 4d imaging is changing peoples awareness.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Which they're not doing. Which they've not done in the past, aren't doing in the present and have no plans to do in the future.

Unlike private insurance companies.....you know the ones, the one's you all voted you were so happy with.

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why do I have a feeling that you define "courage" as anything that advances the liberal agenda?

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You need to relax, sweetheart.

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

The vote in the Senate today was to allow federal funding or abortion no matter how much lipstick on Reid's pig.

Just admit it you are fine with abortion and using taxpayer money to kill babies and move on.

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Pretty gutless to say that considering you weren't born with a reproductive system. So you'll never, ever have to make the decision for real; but then again from a guy who doesn't even have the balls to admit he's got a political side, this is about par.

17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Why do I have a feeling that you define courage as saying things on a messageboard where you never have to face the person you're insulting?

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

In other words, neither of you can answer my question.

And Wolfpack apparently idolizes PatriotsReign enough to attempt to emulate him.

Two big surprises there.

Like SDaniels says, grow a uterus and get back to us.

19. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

How is it acceptable to abort an unborn child but considered murder if the child is killed when the mother is murdered.

There are pro-abortion people out there that are against the death penalty. That seriously blows my mind, it's a concept I just can't wrap my brain around. For them, it's OK to MURDER a baby. It's not OK to execute a heinous criminals. You know, the ones that deserve to die.

More so, these are often the same people who promote other causes "for the children". Anti-smokeing "for the children", Anti-gun "for the children". What about the children not yet born, have they no rights?

What brand of lunacy is this?

I'm not a complex man, but I do know right from wrong. Abortion is wrong, no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise. It's MURDER.

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Just read a rather benign book, that made an argument that the reason why crime went down in NYC... had nothing to do with Guiliani or Bratton, but quite simply because there were more wanted children, than unwanted children.. less born to substance abusing mothers.. get the drift.