Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate republicans basically vote in support of KBR gang-rapists

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First, a bit of background. A young woman who worked for KBR in Iraq was drugged, brutally gang raped (her breast implant even ruptured as a result), an army doctor examined her and confirmed the rape but the test kit disappeared after KBR's security took it (parts of it were found), and she was imprisoned in a shipping container. She was later released after a sympathetic guard gave her a cell phone to call home and her congressmen got the state department to rescue her. She wasn't allowed to sue KBR at first because she signed an employment agreement with KBR where everything goes to arbitration rather than court. Employers like arbitration because they win a disproportionate amount of time because they pay the arbitrator. The federal circuit court where she lives said KBR can't sign her rights away and she will have her day in court.

Now this ruling only applies to the federal circuit court for several states, not the whole country.

So Senator Franken introduced an amendment where if contractors force employees to sign these types of arbtration contracts, contracts would be withheld from the federal government. This is a common sense and moral amendment, wouldn't you think?

BZZT, guess again. only a couple of senate republicans voted for the amendment while 30 republicans voted AGAINST it.

If you need more proof that republicans are immoral and basically have no soul, look no further.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/10/07/kbr-rape-franken-amendment/

The votes were pretty much split between party lines:

YEAs ---68
    Akaka (D-HI)
    Baucus (D-MT)
    Bayh (D-IN)
    Begich (D-AK)
    Bennet (D-CO)
    Bennett (R-UT)
    Bingaman (D-NM)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Brown (D-OH)
    Burris (D-IL)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Cardin (D-MD)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Casey (D-PA)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Conrad (D-ND)
    Dodd (D-CT)
    Dorgan (D-ND)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feingold (D-WI)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Franken (D-MN)
    Gillibrand (D-NY)
    Grassley (R-IA)
    Hagan (D-NC)
    Harkin (D-IA)
    Hatch (R-UT)
    Hutchison (R-TX)
    Inouye (D-HI)
    Johnson (D-SD)
    Kaufman (D-DE)
    Kerry (D-MA)
    Kirk (D-MA)
    Klobuchar (D-MN)
    Kohl (D-WI)
    Landrieu (D-LA)
    Lautenberg (D-NJ)
    LeMieux (R-FL)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Levin (D-MI)
    Lieberman (ID-CT)
    Lincoln (D-AR)
    Lugar (R-IN)
    McCaskill (D-MO)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Merkley (D-OR)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)
    Nelson (D-NE)
    Pryor (D-AR)
    Reed (D-RI)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Rockefeller (D-WV)
    Sanders (I-VT)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Shaheen (D-NH)
    Snowe (R-ME)
    Stabenow (D-MI)
    Tester (D-MT)
    Udall (D-CO)
    Udall (D-NM)
    Voinovich (R-OH)
    Warner (D-VA)
    Webb (D-VA)
    Whitehouse (D-RI)
    Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---30
    Alexander (R-TN)
    Barrasso (R-WY)
    Bond (R-MO)
    Brownback (R-KS)
    Bunning (R-KY)
    Burr (R-NC)
    Chambliss (R-GA)
    Coburn (R-OK)
    Cochran (R-MS)
    Corker (R-TN)
    Cornyn (R-TX)
    Crapo (R-ID)
    DeMint (R-SC)
    Ensign (R-NV)
    Enzi (R-WY)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Gregg (R-NH)
    Inhofe (R-OK)
    Isakson (R-GA)
    Johanns (R-NE)
    Kyl (R-AZ)
    McCain (R-AZ)
    McConnell (R-KY)
    Risch (R-ID)
    Roberts (R-KS)
    Sessions (R-AL)
    Shelby (R-AL)
    Thune (R-SD)
    Vitter (R-LA)
    Wicker (R-MS)

Not Voting - 2
    Byrd (D-WV)
    Specter (D-PA)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

When you say Republicans have no soul, it's sounds as though your praying at the alter of righteousness your crucifying them at. Looks more like just another fine example of partisan politics and F&CK our constituency....
  3. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Based on your response, i'm going to assume you stand with KBR.

BTW, look at this video and what this amendment is all about and see if you don't think that the republicans who voted against this amendment aren't scum:

YouTube - The Drugging And Gang Rape Of A KBR Employee! Senator Al Franken
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Really??!!
    Seriously??
    You think it's OK to vote against this bill?
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

This is about money, plain and simple. Who do you think KBR/Halliburton has been giving most of their money to since the Iraq war.....disgusting.
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is a legitimate argument to oppose the amendment, namely that it has Congress reaching too far into private contracts, and also that enforcement could be difficult depending on how broadly the amendment is written (I'd need to read it to try and figure that out). The fact is that employer arbitration contracts are legitimate so you could argue against Congress putting limits on their use. I personally like the amendment and support it because it only governs spending with those companies that use these contracts, it does not try and change their legality (as I understood the amendment). To me that is the right way for Congress to be acting, by directing behavior of corporations that get gov't money by tying it to the purse strings. Good way to modify behavior of the companies without having to over-legislate and potentially overstep their bounds.

Congrats to Sen Franken for what at first glance looks like a good piece of legislation, and Phokus I would encourage you to consider legitimate opposition to causes you support before making overly simplistic statements about the other side. What seems obvious to you may sometimes turn out to be you not thinking it through first.
  7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I can understand the argument from a free market standpoint, though I disagree with it, if, say, it was a general bill about employee severance or something. But I cannot think of one legitimate scenario where a contract to arbitrate should be honored “if they restrict their employees from taking workplace sexual assault, battery and discrimination cases to court.” There's no legitimate reason I can think of that KBR or any other corporation should be protected from suits in those situations. No reasonable person would sign a contract expecting those situations to occur, and corporations shouldn't be allowed to prevent employees from recourse under such extreme scenarios.
  8. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree and that's why I think its a good bill (without having read it, most likely just like a bunch of the guys/gals that voted on it :eek:) and I support it. I was just trying to say that one COULD make a principled argument about Congress getting involved in modifying what are perfectly legal private contracts. In thinking about it I wondered where Ron Paul might stand on it. He might have voted no based on his record of opposing undue gov't interference in the private sector, though his chagrin at Congressional handouts to corruptible corporations to run security in countries he says we really shouldn't be in in the first place probably would take precedent, and may in fact cause his head to asplode.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

Is the women they are referring to here, Jamie Leigh, who was gang raped and then left in a shipping container so she could not report the crime..

The Jamie Leigh Foundation

Haliburton and its alter ego with weapons Xe have committed crimes all over the place, but there is the prerequisite silence from the right main stream media and no talk of ending their government gravy train...

Consider the crimes of Haliburton:
    Price gouging the US for gas in Iraq
    Building substandard military housing that resulted in Soldiers getting electrocuted..
    Allegations of bribery..
    Patterns of sexual harassment and other allegations of rape
    So guess how we punish them, there are going to get another 1.5 Billions of dollars.. guess that will buy a few rounds and a couple of hookers on K St.

The duplicity and selective prosecution of the right is becoming more and more obvious every day...
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well since its been argued here repeatedly that health care isn't a right, it seems disingenuous to say that bidding on government contracts is. This doesn't have anything to do with the government telling private businesses how to act. Its all about a customer deciding exactly what sort of service provider it will employ and what sort it won't employ.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -9

Our new beautiful Commander In Chief should have gotten all Americans out of there last March, isn't that what all his groupies wanted, why the hell are we still over there, this friggin Obama is just like Bush, maybe worse.

STOP THE WARS
    CLOSE GITMO
    YOU LYING BASTARD
  12. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No.......
    I think this is another example of partisan politics, less about the issue more about the party.
    The sooner we get some people up there whom actually are willing to represent their constituency the better.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This is an old issue: Voting your conscience or voting with your finger in the wind. I wonder what would have happened to the Civil Rights of black Americans in the South (or anywhere else, for that matter) if Congress had voted the way their constituents had wanted them to.

I wonder how similar parts of the country will be if that truly happened. If Texas Senators voted the way Joe Texas would, they would be so different than a Vermont Senator would. If that were the case, would the death of the Union (Balkanization, sorta) be long behind? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'd be worried that the stupid states would vote themselves out of the country if they had the chance.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -10

We should send an army of US citizens over to Halliburton and blow them off the map. We do have the the right to declare war on traitors and Halliburton is surely a traitor to our nation.
  15. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Love it, Harry manages to blame gang rape on Obama:confused:
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

IF you were referring to my post, the duplicity and hypocrisy has to do with the shytstorm of the right over the actions of a few in ACORN.. all the while the criminal activity of Haliburton, Wackenhut and Xe happen under the guise of the "fog of war" and is not a reflection of the larger company... WTF:confused::confused::confused::confused: and we continue to give them billions, much of which is wasted...

How the hell can we justify giving Haliburton a contract to supply fuel to the US in Iraq, and then they gouge the price??? I cannot figure out the morals of this nation..