Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate Passes FDA Regulation of Tobacco

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Jun 11, 2009.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

This is a major step toward the reduction of dishonest practices used by the Tobacco industry. That is unless you agree with the sworn testimony of the Tobacco CEO's a few years back. The lobbyists couldn't stop Congress this time. Gee, I wonder why?
    Maybe Congress can agree to implement the anti-smoking campaigns for children in which were so successful in years past. Why oh why did they do away with those programs?
    Oh, and NEP, Obama is a smoker no less. Change is good.

No smoking: Vote could bring new limits - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 15 / -9

I hate everything about Tobacco !

I heard a recent commentary mocking a pol who was pushing a law to fine parents who smoke with their kids in the car.

I would love to see that law passed.

3. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Excellent point. The underlying reason for a lot of tobacco's practices is to get underage people to smoke. When those numbers are below forecast they export to 3rd world countries.

4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

Obama taking over yet another private industry, doesn't this bother anyone?????

If tobacco is so eveil, we has the government lived off taxing it all these years? Should the government also be ashmaed for living off tobacco profits over the years? Shouldn't someone sue them, for making a profit off other people's misery?????

If you think this law has anything to do with helping the average joe, your smoking something other than tobacco.

5. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Bottom line: The FDA should regulate the Tobacco industry.
    One reason that this has not happened is because of the Republicans. Yes, back room deals have been made with one another (Dems and Rep), but the vast amount of money from tobacco goes to the Republicans. What's really objectionable, is the swindling of funding to anti-smoking campaigns for children. Florida had an anti-smoking program for children with great results until Jeb Bush cut the funds. Gee Jeb, maybe someone should mention that cigarettes are addictive. Maybe if he had a daughter that was an addict, oops.
    Hey Ted, if you want to defend the tobacco companies to fuel your opposition to Obama, then go for it.

6. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I REPORTED it last week. Obama will set the price of cigarette. You will fullfill Obama's dream.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

From what i hear this bill was in the pipe-line along time before Obama was elected oh paranoid one.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Save the children!

9. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

When you have kids your attitude will change. Let's hope it does for their sake.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Save the Children!

When I have kids, I won't be asking the gubmit to do my job, at the cost of everyone else. Sooner or later they will come for something you love, or you enjoy, and you'll understand what it is I'm talking about. I did a paper on Big Tabacco in college, and my conclusion was that they absolutely target kids. So my beef isn't with protecting children from becoming smokers. My beef is with using children as a guise to obtain unneeded, unwarranted powers over a private industry, because it means more $$ for the gubmit, or a way for them to control behavior. This is more about control, than it ever will be about protecting children.

11. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

To be quite honest, I really don't care how they go about it, as long as it gets done. Like I mentioned earlier, back room deals have always been brokered, and it wasn't the public's health that was the concern.
    I make no apologies for the government going after big tobacco. None. What comes around goes around.
    If your a smoker, I hope you quit before you have kids, otherwise there is a very good likelihood they will smoke, and that's a tragic sentence to pass on to your kids.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Like I said, Save the Children!

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

DAMMMIT where will I get grape-watermelon marlboro lights?????

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The end never justifies the means.

I hate tobacco, too, although I've ised it for a few days here and there during times of unbelievable stress. I watched my father die a slow death from lung cancer at a very young age. Tobacco should be regulated by laws, not taxes, just like alcohol. All adults should be told what to do to their own bodies by the state. Parents who smoke close to children should be charged with child abuse as if they had given them whiskey. Stores that sell to minors should have their vendors licenses suspended and revoked for repeated offenses just like a liquor store. Most importantly, tobacco additives and filters should be banned. Only pure tobacco should be rolled at home or made into cigarettes using "clean" methods without chemicals for slower burning and preservatives.

Taxes don't need to be used to "protect children". Taxes are the only means a government has to control the people.

15. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I agree with everything you said (which was well said). The problem is that group is a cheating, scoundrel ridden, double crossing, back room dealing, organization. To go along with that, so is the tobacco industry.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

All this means is instead of buying cigarettes in the supermarket the kids will have to buy them along with their Coke & Pot down in the school yard.

Why can't the scummy politicians go after Heroin the way they go after Tobacco.

Obama Smokes (off camera)

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  17. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

With the exception of this last regulation, I recall only one fairly recent politician putting a crimp in tobacco's style, Bill Clinton. Herion? No, its over the counter drugs and crack.