Welcome to PatsFans.com

Senate Con men being themselves

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 12, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Senate conservatives repeat obscure objection to block another Judiciary hearing.

This morning, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on how recent Supreme Court decisions have restricted protections of American workers and consumers. Fulfilling their role as the Grand Obstructionist Party, Senate conservatives deployed an obscure parliamentary tactic to halt the hearing, as committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) explained:

This morning an all too familiar pattern was underscored when a hearing on a topic our Republican colleagues did not like was cut short, without warning, by an anonymous Republican objection. … I share the sentiments Senator Whitehouse expressed before recessing the hearing — this behavior is a disgrace to the Senate, and it is especially shameful given that the victims who traveled a long way to tell their stories to the Committee did not get a full hearing.​

Conservatives used the same technique yesterday to shut down a hearing on torture tactics used against detainees in U.S. custody.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good for them. What was the hearing actually supposed to do? Try and score some cheap points for the "D" party?
  3. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Funny that you would blame Congressional Republicans for being obstructionist. I would say turnabout is fair play. Remember what happened in the last few years of the Republican controlled Congress? Democrats were the ones practicing obstructionist tactics, with judicial nominees being the best example. They stopped anything from getting done to hurt the Republicans in the next election (and it worked pretty well I'd say), so why now should they expect Republicans to give them free reign? How about Supreme Court nominees? That was once a civil process too, look how easily Ruth Bader Ginsburg was confirmed, with Republicans respecting the Clinton nominee even though she was way left, versus the treatment Sam Alito got.

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, and we'd be better off if both sides would stop the constant political posturing and be more willing to work in a bipartisan manner, but for you to insinuate the Republicans are the obstructionist party is ridiculous.

edit:
    Here's a little summary of the recent events entitled "Obstruction, who cares?"

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7371.html
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's not so much 2 wrongs making a right, but as far as I can tell everything the Democrat controlled Senate wants to do now is simply geared toward grandstanding or embarrassing the Republicans and/or the administration. There's no actual value in holding hearings on the recent decisions of the Supreme Court. It's not like the Senate can overturn an SC decision. If they don't like it, bring up a bill to change the law.
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Show me when the Dems have issued an annonymous objection, so as to stall debate...
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Summer of 2006 - Child Custody Protection Act

...... and don't parse with annonymous objection either. Obstructionist tactics are obstructionist tactics, and it's really just business as usual in Washington these days. Both sides use it to their advantage. It sounds good when ThinkProgress tells you it, but really, it's a time-honored bi-Partisan tactic.

btw, I don't object to you saying its a crap move, it is. Just that both sides do it.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'll "parse" with my point all I like. If you're going to obstruct on the senate floor, at least be man enough about it so as to be known.

Regardless, did you have to go back 2 years to find an example of Dem obstructionism? Shall we compare the frequency of the two parties and who does it most?
  8. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, that saved me some work. I agree totally, I'm not saying its OK, I'm saying attributing obstructionist tactics only to Republicans in Congress is ridiculous.

And after reading for a minute about your example, that maneuver was blocking a bill already passed by the Senate! It wasn't even close either, 65-34! They blocked the progression to conference committee, where differences between house and senate versions are reconciled.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Of course you have to go back 2 years, after the 2006 elections the Dems were in control of the Senate! Its usually the minority party that obstructs! Come on PC, that was a crappy rebuttal.

Its OK to admit ThinkProgress goes too far sometimes...
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Just for you PC:

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/RobertDNovak/2008/06/12/decline_of_the_senate

Reid stifles debate to prevent the minority from preventing thier views, they respond in kind and on and on it goes.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Asked, and answered by Strokes.

Also, if you were more in tune with the political landscape (and not just parroting StinkProgress), you'd also know that the Repubs have been resorting more and more to obstructionist tactics in recent months as a way to pressure the Dems majority to stop with the most despicable obstructionist politics maneuver there is; stalling the Judicial Confirmation process.

This senate has been ass dragging the judicial confirmation process to the tune of a 50% reduction (7) in the traditional average number of appointments (15) in the final 24 months of a sitting president. It's the only tactic the repubs have at this point to unstick the process.

And seeing that there have been 3 appointments recently, I'd say it's pretty effective ;)